Observation from my Taiwan trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came back from a 2 week trip to Taiwan to see my wife's family and a little traveling. Some fun and not so fun moment that I'd like to share here:

The humidity is very high, as much as 95% and enough to get you sick if air circulation is not good. 15C there feel as cold as 5C in California.

The food is interesting: you get lots of varieties of desserts, fried stuffs, drinks, and yet hard to find high quality real food that I was expecting from Hong Kong. Maybe because I wasn't familiar to the area. There are 2 main types of restaurants: breakfast only that opens from 6am to 12pm, and dinner types that open somewhat from 12-1pm to almost midnight. Seems like people there eat breakfast, dinner, and mid night snacks and skip lunch. There are lots of closed shop wherever I go and a lot of places don't open till 4pm (retails near night market).

The hotel ratings are way off the mark. You join a tour that said they use 3-4 stars hotel and you get a hotel decorated nicely in the lobby yet full of old worn out furniture and beat up bathroom, and sulfur hot spring water instead of fresh hot water in the shower.

Shopping seems to be 2 extremes: either very cheap and low quality stores and very expensive and luxurious stores, hardly anything in between.

Pharmacy gets you everything they have in stock without a prescription, at a ridiculously low cost. Antibiotics cost about 33 cents US each, Zyrtec (name brand, not generic) cost about 33 cents each pill rather than the almost $4 in the state. However, when you want to buy 360 pills for your foreign family member, they have a hard time getting such a large order for you despite it being cheaper. They also prescribe antibiotic for almost everything. My wife got a flu and the antibiotic the pharmacy and doctor gave were causing her to have fever, and if she wasn't in the pharmaceutical industry herself, she would probably be in huge pain without knowing why.

Air quality is horrible due to the many scooter out there. I'd think probably most of the low quality ones are not pollution controlled or even 2 stroke. In a way I'm glad that California is having huge regulation on air quality and I don't have to live through such a pollution. People drive aggressively there too, but at least traffic jams are everywhere and you can stop easily.

Due to population density and people still going out for fun when they are sick (i.e. my wife's cousins), cold and flu are everywhere. Wife caught a flu like symptom from someone (can't even tell who) and it was influenza A (could be H1N1). She visited the ER twice. The first time they only do a quick swipe to see if it is flu (false negative) and gave her some pain killer, antihistamine, and anti-cough medicines. The next days' visit she need a saline drip, blood test, X ray, and another swipe and finally confirmed that she had influenza A. Yet they just gave her Tamiflu and a few more similar pills and antibiotic (the same one that the pharmacy gave her until I ask them to switch due to possible allergy), without further testing to see if it is H1N1 (claiming that only the government lab has the tools to test). At least the ER is cheap in comparison (1st visit about $35 US and 2nd visit about $130 US).

Even though my wife was born and live in Taiwan till 15, she couldn't handle it anymore and as soon as she could, we fly back to the US (with mask on the whole time) and she is feeling much better here now. She is still sick at home but is getting better slowly but surely.

I think I'm too used to the American middle class everything from food to hotel, that a foreign country with extremes are not something I'm used to.

p.s. the oil they use seems to be Castrol, Shell, Texaco, and some local and Japanese brand. Synthetic cost around $8 per Liter and dino around $3 per Liter.

More good stuff:

The MRT (subway) is new and convenient/efficient, and so are the buses. Unlike the US, public transit in Taiwan and many parts of Asia are profitable and people rely on them.

RFID based cards are used to pay for public transits and small store based purchases and are very convenient. I hope the US get rid of the cash and credit card based system and use the similar RFID cards as well, at least for the higher being's sake get rid of writing checks at the counters.

Quote:
Due to population density and people still going out for fun when they are sick (i.e. my wife's cousins), cold and flu are everywhere. Wife caught a flu like symptom from someone (can't even tell who) and it was influenza A (could be H1N1).

Sounds like a reason for me not to go.

John

Pics will be uploaded soon (as soon as I'm not busy taking care of my wife and working).

More good and bad:

Awesome breakfast: soy milk, rice milk (actually more like peanut flavored smoothe), fried donuts (long, fluffy, crispy, and lightly salted, think fresh thin and fluffy pita chips), flat breads egg sandwiches, rice ball with dried and shredded meat and pickles, or western style breakfast sandwiches, etc.

Horrible coffee not because of low quality, but the people who made them: you'll miss black coffee from work.

Weird tour bus seating: Japanese don't know how to make a tour bus like the Europeans and American. They called it the 747 style seats (like 747 has a good seat to begin with, what the heck?), by trying to use curvy seats that supposedly fit a 5'4" body with head rest cushion carved out, then a 5'10" man sit in it and get a back pain. Why not just get a flat back support so that everyone can be happy? Oh, no arm support between seats too so one of your shoulder will feel lopsided after a few hours.

Tasty pastry: the type of butter and flour they use in the bakery seems to be nicer, so the bread and pastry they baked seems to be mild but delicious.

Plastic bags: no free plastic bags from store unless you are buying cooked food. Most people bring reusable shopping bags with them.

Garbage collection: You hear a ring tone for garbage truck that show up daily at 7pm or so, on time. You missed it, you have to wait for another day or run to another street waiting for another truck route. This is the community gathering time as people show up and chat with each other waiting for the truck. Garbage daily and each day you get to throw out either plastic, metal, paper, or vegetable scrape depends on the schedule. People tried illegal dumping and stores get so tired of it they put video camera to catch people dumping illegally. This is really the weirdest thing I've seen in Taiwan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
Thank you pandabear, its interesting to hear about other cultures and countries, Thank you for sharing your trip!

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back