OBDII Scanner Thread 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Since these things seem to change often, this can be the 2013 thread.

Want to do some diagnosis on my 98 S-10, because of a funny shifting character. But that is the oldest OBDII vehicle I have.

Preferably the scanner could do ABS, SRS and the generic and manufacturer codes....

But my cars are euro vehicles and it seems like there is no good match.

I dont mind buying a BT scan tool for my BMW and a vag com for the VW if/when I need them in the future for specialty things. The saab can use a tech II at the dealer, and it seems like more scanners do all the GM stuff than euro cars, but not sure if that really includes GM Saab.

Im not sure if I NEED live data, but it seems like a good thing.

So... With all that said, what is the best scanner for 2013? My newest car is a 2011, but I may well get a 2014 or 2015 vehicle.

Is OBDII going to have planned obsolescence at some point?

Is there such a thing as a made in USA scanner?

How basic is basic? Is one that just gives code numbers really worthless? I have a scangauge for that anyway? How much functionality does one need to do anything worthwhile? Is live view essential?

What are the best for 2013?

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I'd like to do code reading and data logging for my cars, also. 2012 335i and F150.

The thing that scares me is that Ive seen incompatibility mentioned on some for sale on Amazon! For recent vehicles!

I have a http://www.autoenginuity.com/ one and I think its an excellent product. Several other BITOGers have one also. You need a laptop. But you can buy what you need. Start out with the basic and add manufacturers specific stuff when you need it. When you get the manufacturers specific stuff its bi-directional meaning you can command the ECM to do things (like turn on the electric engine fan to check it out).

Its more expensive than the $100 one at Walmart for good reason.

Also they are somewhat flexible. I bought my first one from them maybe in 2005 for a Palm (remember those things). Recently I traded in the OBDII adapter for the PALM and got one for a PC. I had to pay some, but a lot less than normal price.

They have Bluetooth and other stuff.

If your computer has bluetooth there are ELM327 widgets that plug in and relay info to your computer with the included software.

This setup also works if you have an Android tablet or phone with the Torque and Torque Pro app.

Sure it's limited compared to the very high dollar ones, but I spent a total of $25 and it does a lot.

Buy the $50 Autel shipped to your house from Amazon and call it a day for the OBD-II scanner. If you want something to do with ABS and Airbag etc and to support all makes and models, you will be talking serious money. To the best of my knowledge, there is no US made scanner. I am sure you can buy from US company but it will not be built in US. Now that I have said it, somebody is going pipe in and prove me wrong by saying his Snap-on Verus is made in USA and he got it cheap, only under $8K and annual subscription is less than $1200!

Go ahead, make my day!!

My innova 3160 does domestic ABS and IIRC airbag. They have a 3160B now. $200 at amazon. it does OBDII codes and generic live data for everything under the sun, foreign etc. Shows I/M monitors. I even did a couple of Maine state emissions inspections with it.

It saved my bacon with a bad ABS connector (that looked great) on an 04 cavalier. I'd have bought half the tool taking it into a shop just for that one diagnosis!

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have a http://www.autoenginuity.com/ one and I think its an excellent product. Several other BITOGers have one also. You need a laptop. But you can buy what you need. Start out with the basic and add manufacturers specific stuff when you need it. When you get the manufacturers specific stuff its bi-directional meaning you can command the ECM to do things (like turn on the electric engine fan to check it out).

Also they are somewhat flexible. I bought my first one from them maybe in 2005 for a Palm (remember those things). Recently I traded in the OBDII adapter for the PALM and got one for a PC. I had to pay some, but a lot less than normal price.

Did you buy the proline version for $1399? Given my range of cars, it almost seems worth it!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Since these things seem to change often, this can be the 2013 thread.

Want to do some diagnosis on my 98 S-10, because of a funny shifting character. But that is the oldest OBDII vehicle I have.

Preferably the scanner could do ABS, SRS and the generic and manufacturer codes....

But my cars are euro vehicles and it seems like there is no good match.

I dont mind buying a BT scan tool for my BMW and a vag com for the VW if/when I need them in the future for specialty things. The saab can use a tech II at the dealer, and it seems like more scanners do all the GM stuff than euro cars, but not sure if that really includes GM Saab.

Im not sure if I NEED live data, but it seems like a good thing.

So... With all that said, what is the best scanner for 2013? My newest car is a 2011, but I may well get a 2014 or 2015 vehicle.

Is OBDII going to have planned obsolescence at some point?

Is there such a thing as a made in USA scanner?

How basic is basic? Is one that just gives code numbers really worthless? I have a scangauge for that anyway? How much functionality does one need to do anything worthwhile? Is live view essential?

What are the best for 2013?

I've been extremely happy with my AutoEnginuity scanner. It does OBDII as well as all the manufacturer specific modules (you have to buy them). I have the BMW package and can communicate with all the various systems on my BMW's and run all the factory tests on it as well.

It supports real-time data logging of pretty much everything too.

DO any of the basic scanners, even the autoenginuity basic, tell you torque converter solenoid lockup status out of the box? Does the generic reder with command function allow you to control the lockup??

I THINK you'd probably need the module for your make to get that function/information. It depends on what the OEM allows as part of the generic OBD2 communication.

Well at that point I might as well take it to a shop... To have to pay $229 for a one time fluke thing seems a bit much.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Did you buy the proline version for $1399? Given my range of cars, it almost seems worth it!

No I bought the basic one with nothing manufactuere specific. But I am planning on getting the manufacturer specific add-on. You maybe surprised with how much you get without the manufacturer specific add-on.

Oddly I never had Chrysler vehicles before and now I have two. So will need only one add-on. Unless they come out with a Bobcat add-on!

Well at that point I might as well take it to a shop... To have to pay $229 for a one time fluke thing seems a bit much.

There is always AZ or AAP for $0.

I must have not understood the question then! What is one time fluke thing that you are talking about? Which $229 scanner that were you considering?

Given that system to give you live data capability can be purchased under $15 (I did, and bunch of others did it too) or one can spend multithousand dollars and everything in between, I am perplexed as to why you have resigned to take it to a shop.

You tell me your budget and I will tell you something which would give you the most bang for your budget.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I must have not understood the question then! What is one time fluke thing that you are talking about? Which $229 scanner that were you considering?

Given that system to give you live data capability can be purchased under $15 (I did, and bunch of others did it too) or one can spend multithousand dollars and everything in between, I am perplexed as to why you have resigned to take it to a shop.

You tell me your budget and I will tell you something which would give you the most bang for your budget.

The bidirectional control of a GM Torque Converter solenoid is notionally a one time thing. Reading real time data for stuff like seeing if O2 sensors are heating or getting lazy is universally useful, something like doagnosing a GM AT issue is something that hopefully Ill not need to do again.

So if Autoenginuity lets me do more bidirectional control and better data acquisition for its base price, versus a $58 autel, great. It may be worth it in terms of value. But if autel tells me TC solenoid status realtime, lets me actuate it from the scanner, etc. then it may be the best value. If I have to buy a $224 autoenginuity dongle plus a $229 GM ENhanced package to do what I want, then by the time I spend nearly $500, I should just take it to a shop that has a real scanner and let them look at it for $100 and be done.

Hope that makes sense...

Im not opposed to spending money. But I would like best value. Given that most of my cars are Euro vehicles, and most scanners dont come with recent euro packages, at least not for small bucks, it all becomes highly questionable.

Plus when I need one for the VW, I might buy the VAG-COM, and when I need one for the BMW, I may buy the BT scan tool...

So obviously I dont know what I want to do and arent doing very good at making heads and tails.

What Id like is a $400 unit that will do generic and manufacturer codes for all modules, ABS, SRS, TPMS and battery registration for all my cars... Good luck with that!!!

It's always a trade off between scanners. If a scanner doesn't do manufacture specific codes it will sometimes be useless. Years ago I bought one from www.obd-2.com. I got the Tricom model ($162 new) and it also supports manufacture codes as well as body and ABS codes for some vehicles. The software is not the most user friendly but it works.

I also recently bought a bluetooth (ELM327 $20) that I use with "Torque" (Android App $5) that allows me to monitor params, data log and clear codes anytime.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
I also recently bought a bluetooth (ELM327 $20) that I use with "Torque" (Android App $5) that allows me to monitor params, data log and clear codes anytime.

Except that it's fairly useless for a car like BMW. From what I've read, they don't include any of the BMW custom PIDs, and given the price, it's no surprise either.

I am a scan tool junkie - got about 16 of them from basic models up to GM Tech 2 and newest MDI.

My recommendation to you is one of these:

http://www.pro.innova.com/Product/Tools/

(you can get the top line model off eBay for under $400 by the way)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD-II-ABS-AIRBA...804&vxp=mtr

Very reasonable and had MUCH more live data than any other tool in its price. I actually paid $100 for mine new off ebay open box special. Great tool...easy to use and good screen graphics.

Not much bi-directional abilities here, but you can do minor evap tests and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back