OBD II Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a very decent scanner and gives you the most for the money over the two higher Actron models. I haven't really used the Actrons much but I have the similar Innova. The Innova may have better import code coverage but I'm not really sure.

Equus 3130

I have a 9190. Works Good. I have used it on 2008 GM's and various older OBD II cars. I have not scanned any imports though. I am dissapointed by the number of PID's that it will display. Seems to cover only about 25, even though the vehicle will transmit >100. How do they know what 25 parameters I want to look at?? None of the DIY scanner manufacturers will tell you that before the purchase. I guess if I want it all, I'd need to pony up 4 figures for a professional model and software.
Other than the PID's (which I think is an issue with all universal DIY scanners) I think it is well worth the money. Also comes with an easy to use software package for code look-up, printing out your codes, and PID scans.

Last edited:
In my opinion, check out ebay for some nice used scanners. A few years ago I found a Matco Pro Scan MD-1000 (a relabeled OTC Nemisys) for $400 from a guy who was upgrading his shop's equipment. It does just about everything the big Snap-on scanners do...it certainly is more than enough for my personal use and light use at work.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I have a 9190. Works Good. I have used it on 2008 GM's and various older OBD II cars. I have not scanned any imports though. I am dissapointed by the number of PID's that it will display. Seems to cover only about 25, even though the vehicle will transmit >100. How do they know what 25 parameters I want to look at?? None of the DIY scanner manufacturers will tell you that before the purchase. I guess if I want it all, I'd need to pony up 4 figures for a professional model and software.
Other than the PID's (which I think is an issue with all universal DIY scanners) I think it is well worth the money. Also comes with an easy to use software package for code look-up, printing out your codes, and PID scans.

More than likely, you're only getting the "public domain" data not the "cracked" stuff. Most cheap scanners are the same on this issue. Off the top of my head I bet you won't get:

knock retard

but you will get

coolant temp
air temp
MAF, MAP
TPS
all o2 sensors
ign timing
open/closed loop status
RPM
maybe injector pulse width

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think it is a very decent scanner and gives you the most for the money over the two higher Actron models. I haven't really used the Actrons much but I have the similar Innova. The Innova may have better import code coverage but I'm not really sure.

Equus 3130

Looks like a nice scanner too. I noticed that the Innova has automatic transmission code reading capability (per the info in your link), whereas the Actron doesn't list that feature.

Well my Equus 3130 will let me select what PID's I want to look at at. I though that was the whole point of having PID ability? So the Actrons won't let you select which values you want to look at? If not, advantange Equus.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Equus 3130

Looks like a nice scanner too. I noticed that the Innova has automatic transmission code reading capability (per the info in your link), whereas the Actron doesn't list that feature.

Yeah and if you step up to the Equus 3160, you get some ABS coverage. I didn't think that just ABS was worth the $100 or so extra though. I think the 3130 has the most bang for the buck. I think you can pay for an upgrade in software to make the 3130 read ABS codes, not really sure.

Well my Equus 3130 will let me select what PID's I want to look at at. I though that was the whole point of having PID ability? So the Actrons won't let you select which values you want to look at? If not, advantange Equus.

Nope, the Actron 9190 will not let you select the PIDs you want, you get the canned list of 25 and that's it. You can down select from that for graphing, etc. Their data sheet indicates that you can view live data, without diclosing the limitations. We wouldn't want the buyer to be aware of what he is getting before purchasing would we. Like I said, so far this tool has worked well for me, but based on what I read here, I would be inclined to try Equus next time.

Equus 3130

Yeah and if you step up to the Equus 3160, you get some ABS coverage. I didn't think that just ABS was worth the $100 or so extra though. I think the 3130 has the most bang for the buck. I think you can pay for an upgrade in software to make the 3130 read ABS codes, not really sure.

I found the 3160 is about $60 or so more than the 3130. I'm new to this but it seems worth it?

Choosing to purchase a feature-rich scanner is wise in any case.

There is a point of diminishing returns, though.

Whatever you end up with, you'll be far ahead of most people when it comes to diagnosing and preventing problems.

I tell anybody who will listen that they should invest in a scanner, and to get mfr-specific software if possible.

Cheers!

If you are willing to swing the extra $60 that's not too bad to get some ABS coverage. It just might pay off eventually if you ever have a wheel sensor problem or such. It's kind of a hard call to make.

I was reading some of the reviews on Amazon about the Equus scanners. They were saying they use a serial cable to connect to a PC instead of a USB cable like most others. Any disadvantage with the serial interface? Do newer PCs even still have a serial port?

Maybe the new Equus scanners have the USB interface ... ?

I was reading some of the reviews on Amazon about the Equus scanners. They were saying they use a serial cable to connect to a PC instead of a USB cable like most others. Any disadvantage with the serial interface? Do newer PCs even still have a serial port?

Yeah that is the worst thing about the Equus. I don't know why they do that. I don't know of any laptop that has a serial port anymore but just USB. I guess they do that to have you on the hook to purchase a seperate usb to scanner cable. I think you might be right that the newer ones might have a usb interface.

Hey guys ... I found this website that has tons of info on OBD II codes, etc in case anyone needs it while using there new scanner.
grin2.gif
Looks like tons of good info.

http://www.obd-codes.com/

Vehicle specific by manufacturer.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

Yeah that is the worst thing about the Equus. I don't know why they do that. I don't know of any laptop that has a serial port anymore but just USB. I guess they do that to have you on the hook to purchase a seperate usb to scanner cable. I think you might be right that the newer ones might have a usb interface.

Could be ... or you would think they would throw the adapter cable in with the scanner. Maybe I can search the 'net and find out if they updated them with USB interface or not.

I've had the Actron 9180 for about 2 years now. It has worked on every car I've tried. The only problem I have with it is that it won't read the O2 sensor data for my Ranger...just reads 0v. My cousin has a machine shop with a very nice scanner...he scanned it and read the senors just fine.

It also reads the available modules, but I can't determine what they really mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back