OBD-II code scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a good one to get? should be < $100
Our cars are Ford, BMW and Hyundai...

I might want one that can read some of the BMW specific codes AND generic codes...

Anyone has any advice?

DealExtreme has the Autel MaxiScan MS509 for about $65 shipped. It's the exact same scanner as the $130 CenTech at HF. It'll take a month to arrive. It worked well reading Hyundai-specific codes on a 1999 Elantra. For the price, there's no touching it.

But will those read prorietaty BMW codes? It looks like only the Peake can read those - but then I can't use it on other cars...stupid!

Perhaps I should get one that can read MOST Bimmer codes and hope That if i get a code it will not be one of the 'special' BMW codes...

I was recommended this one too: perhaps this is good enough for basic code reading and erasing?

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3100-Innova-CanOBD2-Diagnostic/dp/B000EVWDAK

If you need to do some special codes, I'd wait until you have a justifiable issue, then buy the BT scan tool.

I'd then either get a super-cheap one to cover, or else hold out for the autel MS609, which will be able to do BMW ABS codes (and abs for a ton of others) as well as being a good scan tool with tons of data.

I have an Acutron Pocket scanner. It reads, estimate whether a severe or not severe problem and will clear codes. ~ $80 at Advanced Auto Parts about 2 years ago. Works just great on my Mazda CX7 and my daughters Santa Fe.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
What's a good one to get? should be < $100
Our cars are Ford, BMW and Hyundai...

I might want one that can read some of the BMW specific codes AND generic codes...

Anyone has any advice?

I got Actron CP9575 from Advance Auto when it was on sale for $99.99.I used their $40 off coupon and it amounted to around $65 including tax.It is not the most basic Actron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back