Quality OBD-II Reader to Help Diagnose P2096 Code

2015 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L with 58,800 miles.

I had a CEL illuminate today and the Autozone OBD-II said “P2096 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1”

The car was on the return trip of about 220 miles. It started, idled, and cruised just fine.
Zero driveability issues.

Online research shows the source of that code could be wide ranging. And I don’t want to chase parts.

The $25 Autozone scanner is okay but I’m wondering if there’s not a scanner that might be better in narrowing down the problem, as well as ensuring there’s no other codes present.

Any basic scanner w/ Live Data can be used to trouble shoot the problem. Here is one

KINGBOLEN YA200 OBD2 Scanner​

The most important thing besides learning how to used it is to have a sense of what data means. On live data all cars are going to different PID's on what you get. For instance, my car sits on the cold garage, the I hook up the scanner and see what values are been reported to the computer and notice a 6F's difference between the cars reading and inside the garage reading. I took a gamble and replace the cars sensor and know the difference is 0.5 F difference. Much better.

The other nice tool is a basic smoke machine.

Be aware that the earliest ScanGauge didn't connect with several vehicles and Hyundai was among them.
I've seen other scan tools which didn't dance with Hyundais as well.
Don't be scared. Just double check any old stock or real cheap scanner.

There were new Chevy trucks my ScanGauge couldn't connect with.

Hmmm,

The CEL went out on its own fifty miles after first illuminating.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t have an O2 sensor intermittently acting up.

The only other time the CEL activated was an “evaporative canister” issue. In other words “remove the fuel filler cap, then retighten it.”

Stay tuned.

Hyundai's are one of those odd-ball cases when it comes to oxygen sensor logic. While their main function is to monitor catalyst function, the ECM also uses them to compare against the inputs from the upstream air/fuel ratio sensors. If the upstream sensor is within range while the downstream sensor reports a consistent lean condition, P2096 is set. The most common cause of this is exhaust leaks between the upstream and downstream sensors such as a leaking flex pipe.

Hyundai's are one of those odd-ball cases when it comes to oxygen sensor logic. While their main function is to monitor catalyst function, the ECM also uses them to compare against the inputs from the upstream air/fuel ratio sensors. If the upstream sensor is within range while the downstream sensor reports a consistent lean condition, P2096 is set. The most common cause of this is exhaust leaks between the upstream and downstream sensors such as a leaking flex pipe.

Thanks for the insight.

My first thought was to replace the 02 sensors. But, based on your answer I will have to investigate the possibility of an exhaust leak.

There has been no drivability issues nor any noises from under the hood to indicate an exhaust leak.

Thanks for the insight.

My first thought was to replace the 02 sensors. But, based on your answer I will have to investigate the possibility of an exhaust leak.

There has been no drivability issues nor any noises from under the hood to indicate an exhaust leak.

Funny thing about those small exhaust leaks... they can be just enough to allow external air in while not noticeably increasing noise.

You're also not wrong about replacing the sensors. Being that the upstream sensor is likely a wide-band, it's unlikely it's failed. The downstream, however, very well could be mis-reporting.

Frustrating!

So, it could be BOTH a failing O2 sensor AND a small exhaust leak?

The CEL went out on its own without me clearing it and I haven’t driven the Santa Fe since it self-extinguished.

Just based on that fact I’m guessing it’s an intermittent issue with an O2 sensor. Were it an exhaust leak, that leak would unlikely go away.(?)

I don’t trust the local Hyundai dealer nor their service department.

Back