Oatmeal

You guys are serious about your oatmeal. I remember eating oatmeal on a few camping trips when I was a kid. It was the instant just add hot water type. Brown sugar and cinnamon. I have not eaten oatmeal since then. To be honest I can't stand the sight of it. It looks like someone already ate it once. But I eat grits on a regular basis and some of you might not like grits so I guess we are even. There is not much nutritional value in a bowl of grits but they sure taste good with some butter and a little salt.

In the northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area we have Dorsel’s pinhead oats which are basically steel cut oats. People use a lot of them to make goetta. You can get them at Krogers. For some reason they don’t seem to go rancid like other oats do, or at least not as quickly.

I eat oatmeal in the evening. If I eat it for breakfast I find that it crashes my blood sugar severely in the afternoon, and I’m not a diabetic.

I am not anti oatmeal in general I enjoy it and this one is great and keep you satisfied longer with fats and protein.
40 grams rolled oats
125 grams hot water
Cover with plate.
20230923_065456.jpg
20230923_070234.jpg
20230923_070422.jpg

Nuke 30 second cycle about 4 times stir after each cycle let stand few minutes.
Stir in 3 over easy eggs and 1/2 large avocado salt pepper whatever no sugar!
Made this morning for some to try something different.

The 1/2 cup of oats you started with had only about 150 calories. The eggs & avocado added about 350 more, so you've more than tripled the calories, plus a lot of fat, protein & some cholesterol. Sure that will stop you from getting hungry later, but now I realize why you said earlier to watch the serving sizes ;)

PS: I know you're an avid cyclist and that will help power you through a brisk morning ride.

I eat oatmeal about once a week. No matter how you slice it, it is high in carbs and easy to eat over the 15g gram carb limit.

This AM I had TJ's Steel Cut "quick" cooking oats with a little home made jam before my bike ride and it held me nicely.

I eat oatmeal about once a week. No matter how you slice it, it is high in carbs and easy to eat over the 15g gram carb limit.
This AM I had TJ's Steel Cut "quick" cooking oats with a little home made jam before my bike ride and it held me nicely.
There are good carbs, and bad carbs. Fiber is a carb, and most people don't eat enough of it. A flat limit on carbs that doesn't differentiate between simple/complex, glycemic index, sugar vs. fiber, is grossly oversimplified to the point of not making sense. Oatmeal (whole oats, rolled or steel cut) is an example of "good carbs" - you can eat more than 15 grams!

Last edited:
There are good carbs, and bad carbs. Fiber is a carb, and most people don't eat enough of it. A flat limit on carbs that doesn't differentiate between simple/complex, glycemic index, sugar vs. fiber, is grossly oversimplified to the point of not making sense. Oatmeal (whole oats, rolled or steel cut) is an example of "good carbs" - you can eat more than 15 grams!
You want fiber let's take Oatmeal 33grams of carbs per 40grams dry weight Oatmeal. Broccoli you need to chew down 540 grams of Broccoli to match the carbs of Oatmeal. Way easier ways to get fiber than eating carb loaded Oatmeal meal that benefit very few. Focus on lean protein that should be first and foremost.

You are basically incorrect. You play a word game that keeps fat people, well fat.

Yes "fiber" can be classified as a "carbohydrate". As most eaten insoluble, undigestable material is. And of course soluble fiber is a carb.
Oatmeal is absolutely dense in carbohydrates. Though it does contain soluble fibers that have been shown to benefit health, its fiber content is low relative to its overall carbohydrate content. As such, high carbohydrate foods like oatmeal can cause high blood glucose spikes if you eat too much at one time - which makes a fatty liver and chubby people.

It's a grain. There is just no getting away from that and way too easy to go over a "small" portion.

I am simply saying, nothing inherently wrong with oatmeal, just watch the portion size. More is not better.

Some folks in my household are on the gluten free bandwagon and eat a lot of oatmeal. I buy it by the 25 pound bag at WinCo.

The previous bag, I accidentally bought the oat "groats" kind which is a lot like cracked wheat instead of cut in slices like traditional oatmeal. It's got a chewier texture but takes way longer to cook.
How much for the 25# bag? I also get my steel cut oats there but by the pound, I think 78 cents per

You are basically incorrect. You play a word game that keeps fat people, well fat. ...
I disagree. What makes people fat is eating processed foods and simple carbs. Whole unprocessed plant foods, even grains, have low calorie density and do not make people fat.

You want fiber let's take Oatmeal 33grams of carbs per 40grams dry weight Oatmeal. Broccoli you need to chew down 540 grams of Broccoli to match the carbs of Oatmeal. Way easier ways to get fiber than eating carb loaded Oatmeal meal that benefit very few. Focus on lean protein that should be first and foremost.
I agree that broccoli is even healthier than oatmeal. However, I prefer to avoid overdosing on the protein. Most people eat 2-3 times more protein than they need, and if most of that protein comes in the form of animal products, and is not alkalized with other foods in the diet, it is tough on kidneys and bones. So eat your plants too.

Well, fall is here and I will, as I do every year, fatten up and gain at least 10 lbs very quickly which I will lose once it gets warm in March. My approach to gaining 10lbs quickly is

Quadruple the amount of oats I normally eat.
Double the amount of bread and potatoes I eat.
Increase protein intake by 10%
Add an extra hour of weight training per week. That's so my strength stays the same with the extra bulk.
Have two beers a week instead of one every two weeks

Like your average bovine, when feeding on grain, I get massive. Some of you have seen the change in my diet already. Remember the cake? 😁

I disagree. What makes people fat is eating processed foods and simple carbs. Whole unprocessed plant foods, even grains, have low calorie density and do not make people fat.
Of course processed foods and sugars are terrible. That's not really the point.

But yes grains do make people fat.

An analogy is whole wheat being something sold to the public as more healthy that white wheat. Sure maybe a little.

Don't eat too much oatmeal!

I have some decent hair on my back, but that guy has the best shoulder hair ever
Steroids can cause hair growth. Not that I'm accusing Levan of steroid abuse. I think he trims his shoulder/upper arm hair along the short-sleeve line. Is back hair ever decent?

Back