Oatmeal

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I've been enjoying Bob's Red Mill oatmeal in various forms for years. Currently, my oatmeal supply is about to need replenishment and I am curious about alternatives. I prefer steel-cut oats and big flakes and eschew instant or quick-cooking oats. Organic is a strong plus. So, are there any suggestions I should consider?

Any steel cut big flake oatmeal is the best form, less processed, better texture/flavor and fiber. Even though any will do, Bob's Red Mill is one of the best. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Aldis has steel cut seasonally (Target as well) and there are “instant “ steel cut brands I used when lazy at work but the reality is there isn’t much in that space, I could buy it bulk from the Mennonites along with their extremely flavorful rolled butter but occasionally would get some that was stale.
Ditto,
Sams club had 20lb+ bags of Dakotas or some such thing I didn’t recognize but for the price I didn’t want to risk not using it fast enough.

End of the day, it’s a commodity, buy Reds however it is most cheaply available.

Sometimes Woodmans will have the big bags of reds for less than the little packages, would ziplock and freeze some if I was going to be gone a while. But no good answers, it seems like Reds is about as reasonably priced (or better) than the others and there is no quality difference.

I do however like to grind chia+ flax and add it to my steel cut.

Wanna try something really cool?
Bob's also makes whole grain Teff
https://www.bobsredmill.com/whole-grain-teff.html

We usually make it like oatmeal but when cooked, it doesn't have the gluey/snotty appearance of oatmeal.
Recently I tried following the instructions on the back, which suggest toasting the grains on medium heat for 5 minutes (or just until they give off a "popping" sound). Then, immediately transfer to a pot and add water (if you skip this step, you'll make a hell of a mess of your stovetop).
The smell it gives off is heavenly! Smells like roasted whole grains/honey etc - despite only being made with water.

I find that the McCann's steel cut oats go rancid quickly. When fresh, they are delicious, but in a month, they start to develop a rancid oil smell. So, while they may be the best, they are not the best choice for me.

Rolled oats last longer, IMHO.

Biggest tip don't over eat out meal. I think most people are clueles what a serving size really is.
Generally, when making oatmeal and other hot cereals, I use a dry portion of between 1/4 and 1/2 cup. That and some fruit and coffee or tea, is quite filling.

I find that the McCann's steel cut oats go rancid quickly. When fresh, they are delicious, but in a month, they start to develop a rancid oil smell. So, while they may be the best, they are not the best choice for me.

Rolled oats last longer, IMHO.
I think the rolled oats last longer because they don't have the oils that groats or steel-cut oats have. That said, I've never been a fan of McCann's. In any case, I keep my grains refrigerated in glass Mason-type jars and they seem to last a long time.

Some folks in my household are on the gluten free bandwagon and eat a lot of oatmeal. I buy it by the 25 pound bag at WinCo.

The previous bag, I accidentally bought the oat "groats" kind which is a lot like cracked wheat instead of cut in slices like traditional oatmeal. It's got a chewier texture but takes way longer to cook.

We usually make it like oatmeal but when cooked, it doesn't have the gluey/snotty appearance of oatmeal.
Recently I tried following the instructions on the back, which suggest toasting the grains on medium heat for 5 minutes (or just until they give off a "popping" sound). Then, immediately transfer to a pot and add water (if you skip this step, you'll make a hell of a mess of your stovetop).
The smell it gives off is heavenly! Smells like roasted whole grains/honey etc - despite only being made with water.
Hmm ... I'll look into that. I've not seen it in the markets I usually frequent, but I wasn't looking for it either.

Cool, I'll definitely give it a try

Aldis has steel cut seasonally (Target as well) and there are “instant “ steel cut brands I
Sams club had 20lb+ bags of Dakotas or some such thing I didn’t recognize but for the price I didn’t want to risk not using it fast

Sometimes Woodmans will have the big bags of reds for less than the little packages, would ziplock and freeze some if I was going to be gone a while. But no good answers, it seems like Reds is about as reasonably priced (or better) than the others and there is
No Aldi's anywhere near me, and I'd not buy the instant or quick cooking variety. Bob's has a quick cooking steel-coat oat and I tried it to great dismay. Never heard of Woodmans although I have seen the larger bags, but I prefer the smaller packages for space and storage reasons. Thanks for jumping in.

I've been enjoying Bob's Red Mill oatmeal in various forms for years. Currently, my oatmeal supply is about to need replenishment and I am curious about alternatives. I prefer steel-cut oats and big flakes and eschew instant or quick-cooking oats. Organic is a strong plus. So, are there any suggestions I should consider?
I was using Bob's Red Mill but they do not certify that the product is glyphosate (Roundup) free.

One Degree in the link below is certified. I'm not going to independently test it but Bob's said somewhere IIRC that they can't be 100% pure as Roundup from other farmers fields can makes it's way to their suppliers fields.

I didn't notice any difference in taste, it's basically cardboard, but with more fiber!

I was using Bob's Red Mill but they do not certify that the product is glyphosate (Roundup) free.

One Degree in the link below is certified. I'm not going to independently test it but Bob's said somewhere IIRC that they can't be 100% pure as Roundup from other farmers fields can makes it's way to their suppliers fields.

I didn't notice any difference in taste, it's basically cardboard, but with more fiber!
I only buy organic products, but I will look into your assertions and check out One Degree.

No Aldi's anywhere near me, and I'd not buy the instant or quick cooking variety. Bob's has a quick cooking steel-coat oat and I tried it to great dismay. Never heard of Woodmans although I have seen the larger bags, but I prefer the smaller packages for space and storage reasons. Thanks for jumping in.
Yeah that’s what extra freezer space is for, refrigerator doesn’t work for grain but a good sealed package + freezer can keep it from going rancid a very long time.

I too prefer the small packages but sadly the price is a lot higher for the amount I go through in the winter.

Ah well good luck.

Back