NZ trucks on Mt Messenger.

For those interested, a video of trucks going over Mt Messenger in New Zealand - what rigs we use. More axles, more COE, 4 axle trailers, 4 axle trucks, B Trains, trucks from every manufacturer.

I used to go that way in the '70's, not so much these days...I go by more torturous roads on my motorcycle. The tunnel at the top used to be single lane, the north side entry was a sharp turn with no visibility - ''Sound your Horn before entering tunnel !'' it said on a sign. So you turn into the tunnel, and a truck and trailer would be coming through ! We call the grey rock Papa, it's mudstone and can be unstable...slips on Mt Messenger were common.

i know, they were all using reatrders going down hill, but the freightliner was the loudest/most distinctive.

The european trucks were generally the quietest too.

Motu, thanks for this. After seeing this video, I watched several others on YouTube. Those Aussie road trains are unbelievable! I especially liked seeing the COE Kenworths. Reminded me of the grape vine in Ca, Black mountain on I-40 and Nantahala gorge on I-40 in N.C. Did I see a Caterpillar truck in the video? Too bad Cat got out of the otr truck engine business in the U.S. years ago. IMO the best heavy truck engine ever built.

That's like the photographer who sits on the side of the road and takes photos of bikers on the Tail of the Dragon.

So they’re all set up as extra long wheelbase COE trucks with a trailer after that? The tractor has its own hauling capacity included?

Here is a trip on I-70 in Colorado, through the Rocky Mountains in a blizzard, pulling 2 Fedex trailers:

So they’re all set up as extra long wheelbase COE trucks with a trailer after that? The tractor has its own hauling capacity included?
A tractor unit will just have a turntable, and pull a 3 or 4 axle semi, or a B Train - semi with a turntable on the back of the front trailer. Or a 4 axle truck pulling a 4 or 5 axle trailer.

A tractor unit will just have a turntable, and pull a 3 or 4 axle semi, or a B Train - semi with a turntable on the back of the front trailer. Or a 4 axle truck pulling a 4 or 5 axle trailer.
Yeah, these are the trucks I found interesting...

6A8ABB05-FC1E-457F-A318-5A01284E8341.jpeg
8A9BFADF-245F-448C-BC58-53044E047B95.jpeg

Yes, probably the most common setup on the road. Back in the day the 4 axle truck was the Leyland Octopus, and AEC had a Mammoth Major version. I remember them having not much lock...on the stops and running wide, reversing a trailer was very hard. They may have more lock now, or possibly even the worst driver is better than the 20 year old me.

Motu, the wheels behind the steering axle in the photo above, are they there to help only with weight distribution or In a tight slow turn can they be raised off the ground to allow for a tighter turn as well?

Back