NuFinish to the rescue!

Wife is out of town on a long girls weekend.So on Saturday I figured I would polish her car(2003 Honda),I don't think it has been done in years.Pitting,clear coat starting to bubble an scratches where the PO dragged luggage or something across the roof and trunk.So I figure I'll polish the car with compound.I have a 6 inch buffer and polishing pads,blue coral pads and synth wool pads.I bought a bottle of Turtle Wax compound and had some Mothers wheels polish on hand.I hand wash the car at 1130 am.
I started out on half of the trunk with the TW and couldn't really tell any effects.Well There is a guy on youtube that uses Mothers for paint correction so I tried that on the other half,still not much improvement.So I get the bright idea of mixing the two products.
So I got to it.Figuring I'll knock out the car and hit it with the pressure washer.Before I get finished I get interrupted by the dogs raising sand in a brushy area about 30 feet from me.I figure snake and go over hoping to catch a king snake.Nope.A large Timber rattler coiled up and rattling away.I call around to see if one of my buddies is around to give me a hand catching him.No luck.I poke him with a stick to try and get him to leave.No luck.I tell him you got to go buddy one way or another.I can't have a rattler hanging around ,I've had a couple of vet bills due to his kind.Not to mention my wife and some friends staying here.A .32 round to the head put him down cleanly and quickly(5ft and 13 rattles).
Back to the car. Start to rub off the haze and some of it is not budging.Grab the pressure washer and hit the car.About a third of the car has a haze that did not budge.So I grab the wash bucket and go to it with the sponge....nada.I think for a little (the wife will kill me is the first thought)and head into town and get some Megs scratch remover and some NuFinish.Come back home and try the Megs.....nothing.Apply the NuFinish with a buffing pad and let it dry to a haze and the apply the buffer again.Hooray the NuFinish is pulling up the residue,you can see it roll into tiny cylinders and fly away.I get 90% of the residue removed before it gets too dark at 830pm.
The next day I had prior commitments and could not return to the car til Monday.The remaining 10% of the car has residue that is built into tiny mounds and a thumbnail just bounces off it.So I end up doing repeated applications of NuFinish and light misting with an alcohol/water mix with the buffer.I between I buffed out all of the lenses and windows on the car.I finally end up dry buffing with a coral pad and and removing the last concentrations of residue but the car is now covered with tiny specks which seem to be residue build up in the pits and tiny surface imperfection.Most of these you can scrape off with a thumbnail and the rub the area with a microfiber towel.
Now the car looks great with a mirrored black finish good enough to shave with.However the finish is now slick (a plastic bottle cap slides off when you set it on the trunk) but it shows every fingerprint and smudge and the clearcoat bubbles do stand out more now.Does NuFinish need some cure time ?I have it parked in direct Georgia sun right now to bake it a bit.Or do I need to do a wax top coat.I have Quix wax and I think a spray bottle of Eagle One wax may be in the garage some where.

IDK if NuFinish need curing time however anytime that I've used it, the paint looked better the next day. And I think that most product do look better the next day as well.

Not sure NuFinish needs any curing time. You put it on, let it dry for a few minutes and buff it off. Most people including me complain about NuFinish because it makes a mess on vinyl trim if it gets on it.
One of my hobbies before being disabled was auto detailing. Always have gone overboard with anything I do if / when I could afford to. So I would buy "professional guide to auto detailing" books etc... and buy all kind of expensive polishes , waxes , (Liquid Glass / Collinite) cleaning products etc.... Then one day I found a bottle of "Nu Finish" I been having in garage. I used it and found ... its pretty darn good stuff. I have read the company been sold and changed the product so? I can say it was one of the easiest to remove. I can also say, that fine finish did not last near as long as they advertise.
Anyone interested and likes to detail your cars. Check out Griot's Garage. They sell all sorts of auto detailing products. Caution: they are proud of all they sell cause they are expensive.

For those who use NuFinish it seems that the verdict is uncertain as to if the "reformulation" is as good as the old product. I can tell you it seems the viscosity is different. It's too thin IMHO.

It's different enough where I will probably ask for suggestions on what to use on here once my bottle runs out.

For those who use NuFinish it seems that the verdict is uncertain as to if the "reformulation" is as good as the old product. I can tell you it seems the viscosity is different. It's too thin IMHO.

It's different enough where I will probably ask for suggestions on what to use on here once my bottle runs out.
They even sell NuFinish "detailer" these days. Detailer sprays (from almost all wax companies) are great for a quick spray and wipe after a wash and in between polishes or wax jobs.

I remember Zymol was a big deal for a while. Now they got so many brands its crazy....
Used Zymol a good bit years ago when new. Now I pay and ride thru car wash n wax.
I liked it
easy on easy off
But didn’t seem to last very long
I’m more like you
Nu Finish and the car wash weekly

I did just put on a coat of 3M synthetic wax and it looks really good.
The ingredients list is very similar to the Maguires NXT next generation

Attachments

• E9B19072-49AE-477D-9D3B-A4580A96CF40.jpeg
    E9B19072-49AE-477D-9D3B-A4580A96CF40.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 38
  • E3F7528F-1F64-4A87-B567-5AF6EC927043.jpeg
    E3F7528F-1F64-4A87-B567-5AF6EC927043.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 39
Nufinish is a great low cost sealant. For aging clearcoat rather than pristine. Then if you want more shine and protection a wax over it applied more often.

Don't put another coat of nufinish over a wax coat, there is no point or benefit in doing that. If the wax is shot just apply more wax or if the sealant is shot, time to strip it and start over if you waited that long.

It's all about layering hard to soft and thin to thick, no matter which brand you use.

I never do detailer sprays, seems like a big waste of money unless the momentary shine matters on a day to day basis (vanity based rather than protection), but some may prefer to extend the time between waxing, spend less time more often rather than more time less often.

Due to limited mobility these days. I mostly use drive thru carwash near house we signed up for. Unlimited touchless wash and wax per month for $20. Still have my garage full of detail products. So once a year if I feel up to it I will take a day or two to wax each car. I use my long time standby McGuire's NXT 2.0 Tech Wax and my buffer. Yeah spray detailers and glazes where what we used to do on top for car shows. Really get that short term mirror shines for those. Not for protection. Wax is always the protective layer. Its amazing how much a positive effect keeping cars inside the garage do.

Nufinish is a great low cost sealant. For aging clearcoat rather than pristine. Then if you want more shine and protection a wax over it applied more often.

Don't put another coat of nufinish over a wax coat, there is no point or benefit in doing that. If the wax is shot just apply more wax or if the sealant is shot, time to strip it and start over if you waited that long.

It's all about layering hard to soft and thin to thick, no matter which brand you use.

I never do detailer sprays, seems like a big waste of money unless the momentary shine matters on a day to day basis (vanity based rather than protection), but some may prefer to extend the time between waxing, spend less time more often rather than more time less often.
Waxes and sealants do not layer in the same manner as paint. Each product has some type of bonding agent (usually solvent) and it often disturbs anything that is already on the surface.

I used to be a big Nu-finish user back in the 90s and early 2ks. The staining of rubber and vinyl trim steered me towards other products later on. But if i come into an older vehicle with a dull clear coat, i might use it again.

NuFinish did the same as the old school, real deal, world standard, Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell did. Now TW SHS is near a water like paste. Not really a paste anymore, more like a heavy liquid.

It's all for the lazy American's that want a mirror shine with zero effort, and last all year LOL. Like all these "spray on waxes" LOL that people brag about lasting for years and no effort to apply. In reality they last about 3 weeks in the garage. Similar to the wax at a car wash more like it.

Back