Noxudol - pros and cons?

Looking for some feedback on the Noxudol undercarriage rustproofing process. Is it good stuff, or will it cause more issues than it prevents?

I will be taking delivery of a new Tacoma soon. The dealer is including Noxudol rustproofing treatment on all trucks which is non-negotiable. Putting aside the current dealer mark-up environment, I'm looking for some feedback on the Noxudol. I'm in New England so I would like some protection from rust, especially on the notorious Toyota frame, but I haven't used traditional "undercoating" in decades since the old school rubberized stuff caused more issues than it prevented.
I have seen this study referenced (https://www.auson.se/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/rusttest_noxudol_700_classic_monthly_uk_1.pdf) which lists Noxudol as great for cavity wax, but I'm more concerned about the undercarriage and frame treatment.
If it was up to me I would probably use Woolwax, but unfortunately I don't have a choice. (I also have to trust that the dealer is going to do a good job. I worked for a couple dealers years ago and let's just say I'm not brimming with confidence.)

TIA!

Look into RP342 sprayed from a gun. I’m using this on my truck next year. There will be no prep for you since it is brand new. It’s about 90$ per gallon.

Look into RP342 sprayed from a gun. I’m using this on my truck next year. There will be no prep for you since it is brand new. It’s about 90$ per gallon.
Appreciate the suggestion, but I don't have a choice on this (at least not this winter). The dealer is doing the Noxudol as soon as the truck arrives.

I bought a noxudol kit and used it on my new truck. I will know more after this winter. So far it seems good. @Trav recommended this product. There are no places near me that do underbody sprays like this or fluid film.

I bought a noxudol kit and used it on my new truck. I will know more after this winter. So far it seems good. @Trav recommended this product. There are no places near me that do underbody sprays like this or fluid film.

Good stuff, thanks. Don't know how I missed that thread - I thought I read everything that mentioned Noxudol! 😄
So no concerns about this trapping moisture?

Good stuff, thanks. Don't know how I missed that thread - I thought I read everything that mentioned Noxudol! 😄
So no concerns about this trapping moisture?
Not that i see. Its not hard like a rubber undercoating. Its more like a soft wax that creeps and sets up firmer.

I'd just make sure its clean and dry before application. I'm not sure water could get under it , like a rubber coating.

Noxudol is supposed to last longer than other oil sprays like Krown, but it does cost more. It should be better than Woolwax.

It is not the old-school rubberized tar undercoat you don't like.

Any Toyota dealer should be able to do the Noxudol treatment, so if you don't like that dealer, you can use another. There are also other shops that do it listed on Noxudol's site. If you prefer DIY, Noxudol sells their products directly on Amazon (Noxudol is listed as the seller).

Great info. I'm much less nervous about this now. Much appreciated! 🍻
How much are they charging for the service? Toyota required dealers to apply Noxudol to the new replacement truck frames as part of their recall service for rust.

How much are they charging for the service? Toyota required dealers to apply Noxudol to the new replacement truck frames as part of their recall service for rust.
I forget the exact price but it's a LOT. Basically instead of adding a "market adjustment" to the price of the truck they're adding the Noxudol application at an inflated price. Unfortunately that's the market we are in right now. Some dealers in my area were adding $5k to MSRP.
My dealer also tried adding paint sealant but I explained I used to be a detailer and there was no way I was paying for crappy dealer paint sealant. But they wouldn't budge on the Noxudol.

Do you know which noxudol they are using?
I know they're using two different products. I asked them to give me details on exactly which ones but don't have a reply yet. I'm assuming it's the cavity wax plus the tougher undercarriage protection.

@TornadoRed When you say the application is non-negotiable, is that a must have on your end or is it on the dealer? They can't force you to buy anything.

I'm all for a good Noxudol application, but I'd have serious doubts on the quality of the job any dealer is going to do vs. what they're charging you.

@TornadoRed When you say the application is non-negotiable, is that a must have on your end or is it on the dealer? They can't force you to buy anything.

I'm all for a good Noxudol application, but I'd have serious doubts on the quality of the job any dealer is going to do vs. what they're charging you.
Non-negotiable by the dealer. Every truck they sell gets Noxudol. You're correct that they can't force me to buy anything, but it's done before I technically buy it. The games dealerships play. :(
I'm also wondering about the quality of work, but the salesman assures me they do a good job and I can bring it back to fix anything I'm not happy with. They're an official Noxudol service provider, so hopefully that means they know what they're doing.

Reactions: JTK
Seems like really good stuff, honestly wish they would do this service around here. I did the Cosmoline treatment to my 2021 Tacoma. We'll see how it holds up this winter.

Fairfax, VA seems like the closest location to you, listed about 80 miles away, even though Virgina sounds scary and far away. An 80 mile trip is probably worth it for Noxudol and supposedly good for three years. Two Noxudol centers listed in PA are father away than the one in VA :D
(a body shop just outside Philly, and a Toyota dealer in Allentown)

Your local Toyota dealer should be able to do the Noxudol service, even if it isn't listed on the Noxudol site :unsure:

Fairfax, VA seems like the closest location to you, listed about 80 miles away, even though Virgina sounds scary and far away. An 80 mile trip is probably worth it for Noxudol and supposedly good for three years. Two Noxudol centers listed in PA are father away than the one in VA :D
(a body shop just outside Philly, and a Toyota dealer in Allentown)

Your local Toyota dealer should be able to do the Noxudol service, even if it isn't listed on the Noxudol site :unsure:

Yea, but that would require driving through Virginia. I get a darn ticket every time I drive though that state :ROFLMAO:

The local dealer is pretty spendy; just a synthetic oil change for the truck is $80, so there's no telling how much a service like that would cost.

I think the treatment I did should help out pretty good. I also keep the frame/undercarriage washed between and after winter storms.

The coating they did to my 2009 (recall) was terrible and made the frame rust underneath something fierce, that's one of the reasons why I had to get rid of it. That was more of a waxy/hard type substance though.

Yea, but that would require driving through Virginia. I get a darn ticket every time I drive though that state :ROFLMAO:

The local dealer is pretty spendy; just a synthetic oil change for the truck is $80, so there's no telling how much a service like that would cost.

I think the treatment I did should help out pretty good. I also keep the frame/undercarriage washed between and after winter storms.

The coating they did to my 2009 (recall) was terrible and made the frame rust underneath something fierce, that's one of the reasons why I had to get rid of it. That was more of a waxy/hard type substance though.

You mean similar to cosmoline?

Back