"Nothing performs like Mobil 1"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HARTZSKY
From a legal perspective, up to means a lot more than just 15k or less. Really not that simple.

Other than the fact that it only guaranteed for 7500 (or whatever) miles under severe conditions, you are wrong. It means exactly what it says.

The guarantee is for 15,000 miles under non-severe conditions. Note however, that Mobil does not exactly recommend that everyone use a 15,000 OCI, just that it is guaranteed for 15,000 miles (less for severe conditions).

Mobil has the same disclaimers as Castrol Edge and Amsoil for the 15,000 and 25,000 mile guarantees.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: tig1
Mobil has to be careful. There are a lot of scam artist out there just waiting to sue someone like XM, Pennz or others.

I'd love to see an average person try going up against one of the big oil companies. They'll probably just send a hitman and take him out before the trial. :)

XM and other large corp. like Wal Mart are suied all the time. Quiet often they lose, often they win but you really don't think these companies would send out a hit man. Do you? I'm sure you don't. They do have to be cautious about suits.

You guys are funny
crackmeup2.gif
.... seriously ...... a real crackup .... but quite entertaining
35.gif

Errr .... my name is Randall W. .... and I run Mobil 1 (0w40) ... and do I extended drains ....

I have an '06 Dodge Sprinter with a Mercedes OM647, 5 cylinder diesel (MBE600) in it. This is an EGR diesel which tends to load soot into the oil fairly rapidly (without the bypass filter, it will turn the oil jet black in 500 to 1000 miles). It's never had any other oil than Mobil 1 0w40, which was the factory fill (.... other than the one time I goofed and stuck some Mobil 1 Truck and SUV in there ...
smirk2.gif
)

I'm currently using a Motor Guard TP bypass filter - but even before I installed that (at around 135K miles on the vehicle) I was doing extended drains, using the vehicle's ASSYST oil quality monitor - which measures the oil's quality by it's dielectric properties (capacitance)

Generally, following the ASSYST monitor's recommendations for oil changes - which based on having UOA's done on the oil, are extremely conservative BTW - I was changing the oil at anywhere from 13K to 16K. All of my UOA's have always shown below average wear metals. You can see my UOA's here:

UOA's 2006 Dodge Sprinter, M1 0w40

Like I said, I installed the bypass filter at 135K miles - and I haven't changed the oil since .....

My sump currently has a little over 47K miles on it.

I have added about 8 quarts of make up oil to cover whatever is lost (roughly 1/2 quart) when I change out the bypass filter element (every 3K to 5K), and what little is consumed by the engine - which of course helps to keep things freshened up a bit. But at this point roughly 50% of the oil in my sump is from the original fill. The vehicle now has over 182K miles on it.

I'm due to pull a sample later today and send it in for analysis ..... be interesting to see what it looks like .....
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Quiet often they lose, often they win but you really don't think these companies would send out a hit man. Do you?

Freudian slip? "often Quietly settle"? And should you fuss, and choose morality over the payoff, don't stop in front of any train tracks, if you get my drift
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
Max,
Not sure what you mean. Morality, payoff, train tracks?

Have a beer, relax. It's jest.

Oh, thanks.

I just started using Mobil 1 0w-40. I know the butt dyno is not the most accurate or reliable of tests, but the car just feels better.

I'm thinking of using the last of my ARX as a maintainence dose on the theory that it certainly can't hurt.

1MZ-FE 1996 Camry V-6. Our area of the Southern TX Panhandle is one of the dustiest areas in the U.S. The vehicle has 230,000+ miles on Mobil 1, changed at 6,000 to 8,000 miles. I now use 10W-40. It doesn't bet babied, at all and the dipstick is down only about 1/4 qt. at the end of an 8,000 mile OCI. Engine still runs like a sewing machine...testimony, I think, to a quality engine and excellent oil.
Sure, I wish E/M was more forthcoming about the base oil configuaration---I wish ALL oil companies were---but they're not; and with the proof of my past satisfaction of M-1's performance on a 5 of our current vehicles, I'm not about to change brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back