Notch in Front Brake Rotor

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1. Sometimes I've seen a weight pressed into the vanes instead. But the milled notch is I think a sign of "mill balancing" and is a good thing and doesn't adversely effect rotor function. You wouldn't want to be chasing down a high speed vibration from a rotor that wasn't balanced.

It's not unusual for a cast product to need balancing. It doesn't imply gross porosity or serious density variations. The casting process itself is geometrically imperfect. Don't expect them to be billet-perfect. Even cast crankshafts have balancing holes.

I found this and it helps me to understand better. In this link, it talks about mill balancing but, the pictures don't show a rotor that has been done.

Thank you Texan4Life for the pic that you provided
smile.gif

http://www.knsbrakes.com/Centricrotors.php

As I mentioned that I did have an issues with one Centric Premium rotor right from the begining(3-4 months), I will buy'em again in the future.

Last edited:
Good link. Raybestos AT rotors as does ACDelco Durastop have those features too if you want to try a different brand.

OE rotors have been like this for years, a lot of the new cars have throw away rotors now, by the time the pads needs replaced the rotors are very close to minimum machine thickness

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
OE rotors have been like this for years, a lot of the new cars have throw away rotors now, by the time the pads needs replaced the rotors are very close to minimum machine thickness

Well yeah, this new WearEver rotor is thicker than the Centric Premium Rotor that it's replacing and it's only been a little over 13 months/11K miles. I'm kind of wondering if I should have the Centric lathed and keep it as a spare? It still looks very good!

The Centric premiums you bought, were they made in China or Taiwan? I've bought more than a couple Centric premium rotors for my car and a friend's, and the ones made in Taiwan appear to be of better quality. For example, bought for a friend's IS250, the ones made in China (16.8 pounds) were a full pound less in weight than the Taiwan ones at 17.8 pounds. The Taiwan ones also had an even thickness for each rotor face/side whereas the China ones had what looked like one face thickness was less than the other. Also, the Taiwan ones had a better and more even paint coating than the easily-flaked China ones.

And yes as others have said, those 'cut-outs' are for balancing. I've seen clips used on the inside of rotor vanes on Brembo when I used to buy them.

I bought them through Amazon; my initial order had one China, and one Taiwan. I RMA request and they sent me another China and another Taiwan. So I chose the two Taiwan to keep and shipped back the China ones. I took pictures too and will post up when I have some time.

I don't mind Centric rotors as they've been better than Brembos I've used in the past, however, it seems Centric Premium is not consistent on the quality of the castings/machining. If I could be guaranteed Taiwan castings/machining from Centric, I would stick with them. I might have to go with EBC rotors next to see if those are consistently up on quality.

Well ChrisW IIRC, the Centric Premium Rotors came from China. But, it was over a year ago so I can't say for sure. Taiwan just doesn't ring a bell.

Speaking of Brembo, I remember that the BREMBO Rotors for my wifes Lexus were made in Mexico.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back