Not sure what's wrong with my wife.

Here are a few she just sent. The first and third are of a molt of her Brazilian Black & White named Goliath, he's about 6 inches. In the first and last pics the white spots are the lungs. These give me the willies.
IMG_20221111_100731.jpg
IMG_20221111_100738.jpg
IMG_20221111_100731.jpg

Last edited:
I found a tarantula out by my garage. I brought him in so we could check him out and she screamed,crawled over the back of the couch and ran to the bedroom then slammed the door.

Oddest behavior I have ever seen from her.

Spiders don't bother me too bad but snakes are a different story. If I see a snake, any snake and I have something around to kill it with it's a dead snake. I've used anything from shovels to guns for killing snakes. Years ago my wife came in the house one afternoon and said there's a snake on the front porch. My reply was what do you want me to do about it. As I remember by the time I got something to kill it with it was gone. I think my favorite way to kill a snake is stick a round point shovel though it right behind it's head. If it doesn't cut the head off I just leave the shovel until I know the snake is dead.

Looks like an Arizona Blond. They are extremely docile. Even in the wild they have no problem sitting on your hand. They enjoy the warmth and I believe the pulse they feel. Don't let them fall..it can kill them. That one is a female. They can live 25+ years.
Here is mine:
IMG-0160.jpg

Cool spider! I like spiders too, they kill the things I don't like.

My "pet" spider was a huge yellow garden spider that took over my sliding glass door for a while.
IMG_20220910_172049905.jpg

She left four huge egg sacs. I'm going to let them hatch because she did a number on the mosquito population. Her favorite was katydids though.

I had a big spider of unknown type living in my keypad outside. I never messed with him, and let him live there. He was there all year. Thought it was kind of cool that he would just get out of the way when I went to press the keys.

We have a good number of Orb Weavers here in Jupiter Farms. Very cool spider! I sometimes relocate them if they are putting up a web where I walk. Otherwise, I leave them alone.

1668256503548.jpeg

So, a couple of years ago my wife came in and told me there was a huge bug in the garage, a beetle or something. Keep in mind, her vision is not real good, like 20/40 or less corrected. I told her we do not have huge beetles here. I had to go out to the garage with her to see for myself. I get out there and told her it was just a tarantula. Her response, "Oh, is that all?" I scooped it up and set it outside.

I had a big spider of unknown type living in my keypad outside. I never messed with him, and let him live there. He was there all year. Thought it was kind of cool that he would just get out of the way when I went to press the keys.

We have a good number of Orb Weavers here in Jupiter Farms. Very cool spider! I sometimes relocate them if they are putting up a web where I walk. Otherwise, I leave them alone.

View attachment 125763
I had one of these ones too. Orb weavers of all types are really cool spiders and do a lot of work eating stuff you don't want around.

my wife has a tank at work with some spiders in it
Your wife rocks!

A friend with a log home noticed a spider living within one of the many between-log crevices.
He would throw any caught bug into the spider's web and it'd be gone the next time he looked.
The spider expanded his web.

I cured my daughter of spider fears when she was little. I paid her 50 cents each for the first 10 spiders she caught in the house. Greed concurs all.

I remember standing in line with my daughter at this butterfly pavilion place maybe 10 years ago or more. You got a sticker if you held the tarantula. We waited in line for quite awhile. She changed her mind just before our turn came up but then she was sad because she really wanted the sticker. I wanted nothing to do with it but I went ahead and did it and gave her the sticker. One thing that really surprised me was that it felt nothing at all like a bug crawling on my hand. It was actually really soft like a big cotton ball and didn't tickle or anything as it walked across my hand. I was actually pleasantly surprised.

Chris, your wife is a victim of arachnophobia. A proven way of dealing with any phobia is persistent exposure therapy. You increasingly expose your wife to ever more spidery things until she is cured of her debilitating condition. Hiding a pulsating, about-to-burst egg sack in a cupboard would be a great start. Hide more spider things in your wife's favorite hiding places as impromptu surprises. But do make sure you don't come to harm in the process. They do bite - both spiders and wives.
What you do is show her a live spider, pick it up, and say it'll be happier outside. Make a big show of setting it free then closing the door.

Five minutes later, tickle the back of her neck with a pipe cleaner.

What you do is show her a live spider, pick it up, and say it'll be happier outside. Make a big show of setting it free then closing the door.

Five minutes later, tickle the back of her neck with a pipe cleaner.
You should wait until she's sound asleep. Wait for signs of REM sleep. Then tickle her gently with a furry implement of your choice. One treatment may be all she needs.

My wife is scared of vermin type of rodents. Even cartoon ones. But she doesn't run away from them.

Spiders creep me out. Especially the big ones I won't step on. In some cultures, spiders are good luck and shouldn't be killed. If they're outside, fine but not in the house. Before I dispose of them, I ask forgiveness to the spider gods.

There was a time back in 2nd grade, John Allen and I used to grab spiders off their orb webs and keep a few in our desks.

Back