Not so Good Engine Behavior With Mobil1 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by TheNauseator:
The simplest explanation is usually the corect one.

If you're already convinced that your "simplest" explanation is the correct one, then why bother posting? If you think it is the oil, go dump it, reinstall the 0w-40, and see what happens.

Simple explanations of engine behavior may give you a seductive sense of control, but they overlook that a modern internal combustion engine is an extraordinarily complex system with hundreds, maybe thousands, of different processes simultaneously influencing the output you perceive from the driver's seat. Maybe what you are feeling is the new oil, maybe it isn't. You need to gather a good bit more info before you can get past the exchange of speculation stage where I think you are now stuck.

quote:

The morning after the oil change I had to crank the engine for 4 seconds before it finally started. Now the cranking went down to 2-3 seconds. When engine is cold it's very rough. Gas mileage went down to the point where I can actually notice the difference without writing down any numbers.

One of the first reasons may be the summer gas, i.e. refineries could already start to supply the summer composition gas, but the weather conditions are not yet really summer. Just wait for some 5-10 C temperature increase. Over this, every time you switch from light grade to a higher one, you may feel somebody has put 150 kg of extra load into your car.

Just use the Hly Hand Grenade...

-

offtopic.gif

quote:

The problem was related to Arco gasoline. After fillup with Chevron all that stuff I was describing went away
grin.gif

I don't understand how they can advertise that stuff with "Fill Smart." It's horrible gas!

My take is although one is a 0W and the other is a 5W, you may be noticing this difference during very cold starts...not sure if SanFran qualifies though...

As a second thought, the cleaning ability of the Delvac 1 aka.M-1 5-40 will more than offset your initial impressions. Hang in with it and give it at least 5k mi. to work.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
[...]

As a second thought, the cleaning ability of the Delvac 1 aka.M-1 5-40 will more than offset your initial impressions. Hang in with it and give it at least 5k mi. to work.

Thanks for the tip. I will keep this oil for at least 5k miles. I usually drain synthetics after 6-7.5k miles anyway.

427Z06 you left out the best part. Villagers then weigh her and she weighs the same as a duck. "fair cop" says she as of to the burning they go. Who remembers Dead Parrot, Cheese Shop, Ministry of Silly Walks, ahh will Python ever be equalled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back