Norway: 80% new cars are electric

We dont really have issues like this in the USA and not a reason to chose one source vs another. If anything in the USA we are far more affected by electric power loses than that of delivery trucks.
This is the thing - these events are not common. I would only choose a vehicle based on what works well for me on a day to day basis. That would definitely be an electric vehicle but I'm not willing to spend that much at this point and we love our 2005 CR-V so I don't see us changing anytime soon.

norway's climate is far from being harsch. their winters are extremely mild. even a city like tromso who is 300km north of the arctic circle, the average temperature in january is -1 celcius. i was there in 2018.

Very true. The all-time record low for Oslo is only -15F. Record low for Nashville and Oklahoma City is -17F. Minneapolis record low is -41F. Then get into Fargo, Winnipeg, Minot, Saskatoon, etc. Oof! Another huge jump colder than Minneapolis

Populations in Central Canada and North Central USA are vastly colder than most of Norway.

Same with heat. All-time high temp for the entire country is only 96F. A regular July day for large parts of the USA.

Last edited:
The latest revision of NEM, due to over-penetration of solar and the impact theses schemes had on retail rates, has dropped compensation to $0.04/kWh, so you no longer get credited full retail for your output.

So, no, the same deal cannot be made today.
Talking about NEM 3.0 and over penetration.

I was in a local school today, and noticed their parking lot solar was facing EAST, instead of WEST. In theory the better direction to face is West with the angle maximizing output during duck curve ramp. This way everyone would help soften the curve. However due to the usage and charges, even if they point the solar west to solve the duck curve problem, they will not be rewarded if they sell to the grid in the late afternoon and buy from the grid during early morning, when selling is 4c/kwh and buying is 34c/kwh. The school uses most during the morning and before the duck curve hit the school is out, so with the way things are priced they are better off covering themselves pointing east than helping everyone else on the grid.

Unintended consequence? I don't know how will the grid price things "fairly", but I know the school is smart to not relying on politics and the market, and be self reliant on internal use and supply.

Ok, let's get this straight. Norway has an abundance of hydro and EVs work well there.

The USA has an abundance of Petroleum and we think EVs will work here.

Norway is about the size of CA with the longest distance being 1,100 miles. The USA is how wide? Where does our power come from? Some of everything.

The scarcity mindset of Petroleum is the scary thing.

If the US were to give everyone a huge incentive to buy an EV they would fly off the lots. But then how would we charge them all? Oh right, at night with our solar panels!

I had someone knocking on my door Tuesday trying to pitch solar panels. Oh God how I miss my dog. Needless to say I sent him paching in under 30 seconds, and he won't be back. LOL
That's the whole thing about all of this solar crap. If it was that wonderful, it would sell itself. People would be running to buy it. They wouldn't have to go door to door aggravating people, trying to push it.

Not to mention if they're having this much difficulty selling it now, imagine how many are not going to want it when all the government subsidies run out. Many are having difficulty breaking even with them. Without them it's all but a guaranteed loss.

Ok, let's get this straight. Norway has an abundance of hydro and EVs work well there.

Norway is about the size of CA with the longest distance being 1,100 miles. The USA is how wide? Where does our power come from? Some of everything.

If the US were to give everyone a huge incentive to buy an EV they would fly off the lots. But then how would we charge them all? Oh right, at night with our solar panels!

Norway has an abundance of Petroleum too! But the focus has been prioritizing export and putting profit in the national wealth fund. As an example they have long had higher tax on larger engine sizes.

Hydro is one thing.
The real cost is building charging and power grid infrastructure.
Nuclear and solar is not massively more expensive.

Last edited:
That's the whole thing about all of this solar crap. If it was that wonderful, it would sell itself. People would be running to buy it. They wouldn't have to go door to door aggravating people, trying to push it.

Not to mention if they're having this much difficulty selling it now, imagine how many are not going to want it when all the government subsidies run out. Many are having difficulty breaking even with them. Without them it's all but a guaranteed loss.
I hear ya. He won't be coming back. lol

Lots of good points so far - and many differences pointed out.

Having been to Norway a few weeks ago - was a good reminder how different the roads are as well. You won’t see long/flat straight-aways in the middle of nowhere … many won’t leave infrastructure much … Lots of twist and turns through hills, curves, and tunnels - and tunnels that curve - lots of opportunities to use that EV torque …
(vary speed)

Finding places to put chargers is not that complicated …

We did give huge incentives.

A $7,500 federal tax credit is, in fact, $7,500 in the pocket of a buyer. It’s not a write-off, it’s a credit, so it’s dollar for dollar going back into the pocket of the buyer. That was quite the incentive at the Federal level. Various states had additional incentives.

It's a problem for everyone. Where do you think these countries get their money? The government itself produces nothing.

You clearly do not know how the Nordic countries operate, lots of partly and fully state owned companies. Although has decreases some in later years.
State has monopoly on alcohol shops for crying out loud. Nearly all petroleum and most electricity operations in Norway are state owned and make bank.

Last edited:
Easy to do when the population of the country is less than 6 million and 91% of the electricity is produced by hydro in a country only slightly smaller than the state of California. Anyone who thinks this can be implemented in the USA is a few fries short of a happy meal.
Norway, the world's 8th or 8th largest exporter of crude. Hypocrisy laid bare.

It's like the big Asian nation that bans drugs but is the largest producer of Fentanyl in the world.

Scott

Norway has an abundance of Petroleum too! But the focus has been prioritizing export and putting profit in the national wealth fund. As an example they have long had higher tax on larger engine sizes.

Hydro is one thing.
The real cost is building charging and power grid infrastructure.
Nuclear and solar is not massively more expensive.
I'll say its again.

It's like the big Asian nation that bans drugs but is the largest producer of Fentanyl in the world.

If Norway had any principles whatsoever they would stop producing and exporting crude.

Scott

I'll say its again.

If Norway had any principles whatsoever they would stop producing and exporting crude.

Scott

And U.S is no.3 exporter and top 1 consumer per capita by large margin. Why should Norway stop production of Oil? :ROFLMAO:

See them as a country that plans for the future when the oil is not as relevant in 50-100+ years. Atleast not too Norway, they dont invade every country in the middle east and beyond that has oil ;).

Last edited:
And U.S is no.3 exporter and top 1 consumer per capita by large margin. Why should Norway stop production of Oil? :ROFLMAO:

See them as a country that plans for the future when the oil is not as relevant in 50-100+ years. Atleast not too Norway, they dont invade every country in the middle east and beyond that has oil ;).
They should stop production of oil because they feel it's harmful to the planet. Instead, Norway lines its pockets with black gold money.

Agree on your invading comment. Applies to Europe and Asia too. Let those nations deal with their own issues and fight their own wars. I'd rather America ignore them and spend its money on domestic issues.

Scott

They should stop production of oil because they feel it's harmful to the planet. Instead, Norway lines its pockets with black gold money.

Agree on your invading comment. Applies to Europe and Asia too. Let those nations deal with their own issues and fight their own turf wars. I'd rather America ignore them and spend its money on domestic issues.

Scott

Nah man the real reason is that Norway has an finite amount of oil. They are preparing for when the oil wells runs dry. Its called smarts.
They were somewhat poor fishing country before oil. It's all deep sea oil that was found by Americans if i remember correctly.
But yeah co2 is increasing in the atmosphere and is something that humanity at least should be a little concerned about.

Last edited:
Back