North American Sound "Studio Monitors"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here ever heard of or own a pair of these? This was a Dallas,Texas based company that made home speakers during the early 80s. I`ve been trying to find a pair of these,but have never seen them for sale.

come to think of it: too many cheeply made speakers nowadays are branded as "studio monitors" w/o even come close to the real studio quality sound that a real studio engineers demand....the term "studio monitors" is now overrated.

Q.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
come to think of it: too many cheeply made speakers nowadays are branded as "studio monitors" w/o even come close to the real studio quality sound that a real studio engineers demand....the term "studio monitors" is now overrated.

Q.
And most american studio monitors arent that good at all. In fact some pretty horrid. The Brits and Canadians do better here having proper standardisation and specification (like: LS3-5a) for the term "Studio Monitor". I also have a pair of Kent Engineering Foundry 103.2 200mm 2-way mastering monitors. Love that BBC sound for daily casual consumption.

Last edited:
Wow, I've been an audiophile for 20 years, but I've never heard of "North American Sound." Internet searches don't reveal a lot, either, except they were Dallas horn speakers from the 80s. One guy claims they used Toby drivers:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/15/151634.html

Too true, Quest and Arco. The perception is that studio monitors are the most musically accurate speakers available. Well, sometimes they can be amazing. Other times, they're trash. It's all about who designed the recording and playback system, along with their budget. Knowledge and good ears matter more than budget. The British do seem to have the best handle on studio monitors: Spendor, Harbeth, KEF, ATC, etc.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
And most american studio monitors arent that good at all. In fact some pretty horrid. The Brits and Canadians do better here having proper standardisation and specification (like: LS3-5a) for the term "Studio Monitor". I also have a pair of Kent Engineering Foundry 103.2 200mm 2-way mastering monitors. Love that BBC sound for daily casual consumption.

Thanks ARCO, looks like we do have a lot in common, afterall (grin).

I'm a big fan of BBC voicing, so LS 3/5A is definitely one of my faves.

I'm also a big fan of dual-concentrics (Classic Tannoy Gold/Red/Silvers) such as Tannoys, KEFs(currently own a pair of slightly modified Uni-Q 35.2, etc. I have my eyes on my unca's GRF memory pair...someday, just someday I might get them.

For daily casual listening, I listen to my 80s JBL44xx series. While I'm also fond of 43xx series, it's becoming very costly to acquire these days. I do my own professional reconing/edge replacements on all the pro-audio JB woofers so no concerns on that part.

For SET referencing/voicing and serious auditioning, I'm still with my pair of genuine Brit made Epos ES-11. Been with me since college days and still true to it's voice..reminds me somewhat of the famed Celestion SL6/60/600 series I came to fall in luv with in the 80s (back when I was a dirt-poor highschool student...)

*smiles*

*I develop /voice all my SET designs based on ES-11, and it's been true to what I believe so far*

Q.

Last edited:
for critical listening, I also luv to have a Yamaha NS1000 (no longer avail, second hand runs around 1k in good condition).

Q.

not too fond of big massive Bowers and Wilkins (can live with it for a while but only for so long) ...find their sound to be accurate but also somewhat "clinical", sometimes a bit sterile also...maybe my amps aren't up to snuff?!

from a studio recording/engineering perspective: I'd prefer listening to B&W speakers for accuracy during mastering sessions.

But for home use: I prefer something slightly easier on my ears. I just don't like listening to something "clinical" after hours and try to find enjoyment out of it...

But then again: this is just me. I do care about sound and I understand what situation requires what systems (incl. speakers).

Q.

Last edited:
Oh I loved my (now gone missing!) high power Golden Tube on my high efficieny JBL in years past. They love good tube power. I may have to re-cone my advent-style woofer used in the Dahlquist M-907 monitors though - but maybe not as they been away from light (they are NOS still in the big boxes after 20 years). But they utilised Foam surrounds. My current home does not have proper acoustics for a good Hi-Fi rig, so Ive been sentenced to headphone listening. I must sell my Forte 6A FET power amp (threshold bargain brand w/o fancy faceplate) and get better ear cans!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is this them?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/2174176975.html

Never heard of them. For the price, I'm pretty sure you can get better sounding speakers these days, unless these have some sort of sentimental/collectors value.

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!! That`s them!!!!!!!!!! Man those things sounded INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!! And I remember that shop was powering them with a Mitsubishi reciever. Those speakers sounded so powerful they would rattle the entire strip mall their store was in! He`s got it wrong on the woofer part,they were 15 inch. Electro Voice drivers I believe. The guy running the store was a complete clown,and that`s probably why it only stayed in business a few months,haha!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back