Non Detergent oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told to run nondetergent oil in my 1952 Cushman Eagle engine (single cylinder, flat head, four stroke, 18 Cubic Inch, upright, horizantal shaft) because it does not have an oil filter. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to figure out if a modern oil could be used? I was told that the detergent oils kept the particles in suspension so the filter could take them out and that in a non detergent oil the particles fall out and stay out of harms way in the sump until removed at oil change.
Any truth to this or can I just use a good synthetic?

False. You can use a fully formulated oil. If this is a fresh engine a good heavy duty synthetic could be used. If it were mine, I would probably just use a good mineral 15W-40 or a 20W-50 oil. When it was new in 1952 it probably recommended either a 30 or 40 wt oil.

One note. If the previous owner used a non detergent oil and you switch to a detergent oil, the sediment in the sump will be washed back into the system with very destructive consensuses. I remember old VW bugs that had been carefully maintained using non detergent oil, once which to a detergent oil, destroyed the bearings.

If the engine is very fresh and just recently gone through, then your OK. Use what you want. If it has been sitting up with an owner not using it very often, find out what kind of oil is in it now, if you can.

Very true. If that engine has had non detergent oil in it since 1952 your best best is to start over with a fresh overhaul.

Is this engine in a restored Cushman scooter or something? If so, please post a picture for us old guys to enjoy. I threw a paper route on a Cushman scooter in the late 50's. I wish they still made them.

This is a zero hour restore. Everything full rebuild with new bearings, rings, pistons, valves. Same with the rest of the scooter. I'll post a picture as soon as I figure that one out.

Originally Posted By: SkiDoug
This is a zero hour restore. Everything full rebuild with new bearings, rings, pistons, valves. Same with the rest of the scooter. I'll post a picture as soon as I figure that one out.

No need to use a non detergent oil then. A good 15W40 or 20W50 will work well for you.

Detergents keep the stuff from selleling out that is good. what oils are run in lawn mower,generator engines etc."with out filters "

Detergents keep the stuff in suspension,that is good. what oils are run in lawn mower,generator engines etc."with out filters "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back