Factory Oil Levels

Hi,

It was suggested to me that KTM (manufacturers in general) overfill their engines on purpose to keep engine oil temperature lower and to reduce the particles per volume during break-in. Is there any truth in that?

Mine came with about 200ml over (per manual specs) and I took it out. Surely 200ml wouldn't make a substantial difference. Wouldn't they need to state that to dealers and customers to stop them from adjusting? And surely a hot or cold climate would negate that 200ml difference.

Any thoughts or insight about this? Did your bike come overfilled? Should I put the 200ml back in?

Hi,

It was suggested to me that KTM (manufacturers in general) overfill their engines on purpose to keep engine oil temperature lower and to reduce the particles per volume during break-in. Is there any truth in that?

Mine came with about 200ml over (per manual specs) and I took it out. Surely 200ml wouldn't make a substantial difference. Wouldn't they need to state that to dealers and customers to stop them from adjusting? And surely a hot or cold climate would negate that 200ml difference.

Any thoughts or insight about this? Did your bike come overfilled? Should I put the 200ml back in?
I can't speak for the bike world, but pre-delivery inspections on cars/trucks the dealer is supposed to check and correct all fluid levels as needed.

I know that rarely happens though.

My new 1981 GPz 550 was overfilled by the dealer who top off the oil level in the sight window while the bike rest on the side stand... the excess oil jettison on to the rear tire making it skid wildly side to side during down shifts which caused my sphincter to tighten up on the Naugahyde saddle... I learned one must always follow up to insure the Dealer serviced your prize in accordance with the shop manual...

Larrys1981GPz550.JPG

My new 1981 GPz 550 was overfilled by the dealer who top off the oil level in the sight window while the bike rest on the side stand... the excess oil jettison on to the rear tire making it skid wildly side to side during down shifts which caused my sphincter to tighten up on the Naugahyde saddle... I learned one must always follow up to insure the Dealer serviced your prize in accordance with the shop manual...

View attachment 153543
That was my thoughts, you'd have to check the manual or ask the dealer if the bike is supposed to be on it's side stand leaning over or straight up in the neutral position.

I always do mine with it as vertical as possible, I leave the kickstand down and I go to the other side and pull on the handlebar to lean the bike slightly over to straighten it up while I'm looking at the sight glass but you can stick a block of wood under the kickstand too but seems like I can never find the right thickness. I leave the stand down so when I'm done I can just ease it back down without fear of dropping it.

With overseas shipments I highly doubt the motorcycles have any fluids at all for environmental reasons. So all of these “factory overfilled” theories are speculations, nothing more.

This is probably dealers making the prep process faster. Not sure of the exact capacity in your case, but if it was let’s say 3.8L, I could see the dealer simply dumping in 4 one liter bottles for simplicity.

If I had a business I would do the same. I would certainly not pay a tech to mess around with measuring out the last 800ml of oil. Dump in four bottles and move on.

That was my thoughts, you'd have to check the manual or ask the dealer if the bike is supposed to be on it's side stand leaning over or straight up in the neutral position.
I've worked on many brands or motorcycles, and not one of them required the oil level to be checked while on the side stand. The oil level is always checked with the bike straight up vertical.

I've worked on many brands or motorcycles, and not one of them required the oil level to be checked while on the side stand. The oil level is always checked with the bike straight up vertical.
My 2009 H-D had two marks on the dip stick for checking oil level.. 1.) Level 2.) Jiffy stand

To check the oil in my klr250 you had to hold the bike straight then try to see the window
Yes, it is this way on a lot of metric bikes and maybe others too. My Yamaha used to be that way. I kind of liked the sight window.

I suspect Harley has the dipstick because it doesnt share oil with the primary, transmission and engine. They are all different much like a car and wouldnt be practical as far as placement and as we know pretty rough to balance a bike as much as 900 Lbs while checking a dipstick! Also right next to the engine oil dipstick is the Transmission Oil "stick" I actually have a Harley Electronic dipstick/temperature gauge. Works perfect I like gauges and LOVE watching and learning about engine oil temperature of which I learned a lot over the years.

Last edited:

View attachment 153543
I had one what ever the last year production year was [1983?] I remember it was a very nice bike,

The OP is asking about KTM. Your experience with your Harleys isn't relevant.
I didn't respond to his post. I responded to this post, Zeeosix's post, "I've worked on many brands or motorcycles, and not one of them required the oil level to be checked while on the side stand. The oil level is always checked with the bike straight up vertical". So my post is right on the money.,,,

Back