Non-Cash Adjustment fee 3.5%

The discount for cash exceed the " cash back".
I've had my credit cards lifted/ stolen an unusually high number of times.
In each case it was a gas station when traveling.
I have had this yeas ago but it hasn't happened in a long time for me. I presume it will now - knock on wood.

I avoid the small gas stations. We have a couple big chains and when travelling I just do the Pilot / Flying J. Could have problems but I haven't - seems less likely. Next time I go on a really long trip I will buy a bunch of gas cards ahead of time so I can still pay at the pump with no real risk of loss.

just had to schedule my car into the body shop to fix a hit and run bumper scrape ( no panel damage, just paint... which unfortunately is the expensive part...)
in the office he had a big sign posted, " There will be a 4% surcharge for Card transactions"

One guy above said he got 3% cash back on his credit card? Which card gives 3% cash back?

I play the cash back game too. I have chase and discover with 5% cash back on rotating categories. I have a fidelity card that gives me 2% back on everything. I used to have a USAA card that gave me 2.5%, but they dropped it down to 1.5% cash back, so I don’t use that card anymore.

Which card gives 3% back in every day purchases ?

I get about $2500 cash back yearly and I put all of it into a Fidelity brokerage account. I use it as a “free” supplemental retirement account.
Best additional hack I have found on non-fee credit cards for cash back is buying a Visa/Mastercard prepaid with the Citi Custom Card at a grocery store. 5% cash back at grocery store purchases if that is your category for the month and if you spend all $500 on a prepaid card = ~4.2% cash back.

I use US Bank for most of my purchases. It has categories you pick every quarter, 2-5% and 1 lesser one. I use it for utilities and the TV. PenFed Credit Union gives you 5% back on gas stations. Discover has it's rotating ones and I use that mainly for the grocery quarter. eBay has one that after $1500 in purchases a year you get 5%.

I use US Bank for most of my purchases. It has categories you pick every quarter, 2-5% and 1 lesser one. I use it for utilities and the TV. PenFed Credit Union gives you 5% back on gas stations. Discover has it's rotating ones and I use that mainly for the grocery quarter. eBay has one that after $1500 in purchases a year you get 5%.
I have the US bank card too, nice getting 5% back on gas and electric.

Not that I want to pay more for anything, but if they were smart, they would raise all their prices by 3.5%, and then offer a cash discount rather than adding more fees, if they so chose. Still, 3.5% is more than what they’re charged by CC companies, so it’s even more BS.
This is the proper and legal way to do it.

It is legal to offer a discount for cash/ check, or cash equivalent (ACH transfer). It is not legal to charge more for a credit card.

It is legal to pass on CC fees as long as you tell people up front what you are doing.

It's is not Fraud to charge the fee and not tell anyone until the point of sale, because the vendor does not profit from that.

It is however considered false advertising.

Yes, the surcharge is becoming common. I don't like the practice. I just don't go back to those places.

You dont like the practice and the vendor doesn't want to give everyone using a card a discount because thats whats happening when they do.

By offering a cash discount its up to you to pay that way or not.

You dont like the practice and the vendor doesn't want to give everyone using a card a discount because thats whats happening when they do.

By offering a cash discount its up to you to pay that way or not.
Cash discounts and bumping people's bills by 3.5% are two entirely different practices (to me).

I still remember being behind a young feller five years ago in a Midtown New York City delicatessan. He was buying maybe a $2 of $3 bottle of some sort of drink and went to pay with a card. The clerk pointed to a sign that said credit card minimum is $5. He went to his pocket and tool out a wad of bills thick enough to get a seat at the table for most poker games in town. Then he took a look at a rack behind him to see if there was a candy bar or something else to bring him to the $5 minimum.

After hemming and hawing he finally decided to pay in cash. The only point is that card useage has grown so ingrainded in most people's thinking these days that including the fee either in the base price of as an add on is needed by retailers. A discount for cash is a nice thing that some would take advantage of, but a large majority only deal in cards so that is the way it is.

Credit card rewards aside, I would be more willing to carry and pay cash if coins didn't exist. Women have purses and large wallets but I'm not willing to have a bunch of crap jingling around in my pockets all day. Whenever I end up getting cash for something I can't wait to burn it as quick as possible lol. Most of the time it gets deposited, even if it's only $20.

A great place to not go.

Definitely. I was intrigued by the reverse ATM machines they have installed where you insert cash and a card comes out that can be used to buy things. I am guessing there is a fee for that too, or there was.

I wonder if other sporting venues are doing this? I can’t imagine that it’s exclusive to Seattle.

Back