Nokian Hakkapelitta R3 - Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mjk
Curious, having never run winter tires, what do you average for miles before they are ready to be disposed of ? I haven't a cue...

Thanks.

When I feel that their snow performance has degraded significantly to not have any confidence in them.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by edyvw
What is actually that you want from winter tire? If you want deep snow, slush, yeah Nokian might be best choice. If you want overall god performance, in dry, wet, snow etc, Nokian might not be best choice. Winter tires are tricky business and there are a lot of compromises. But remember this, worst winter tire is better in snow then best all season. So choosing any reputable winter tire will make huge difference in snow.

But the best all-weather tire will be better in snow than the worst winter tire?

Not sure, I do not believe in ANY tire that has word ALL.

What is your problem? I was just explaining that it came with 19's from the factory and which trims were like that. Only because I was conversing with QP about using 18's instead of keeping it the same with the 19's it came with.

I do not have a problem. You based your argument on the fact that somehow your Highlander should be different. Highlanders are same in the core. There is nothing different between drivetrain on yours and stripped down version. That is why the fact that you have certain trim level does not mean anything as 18" wheels are going to be perfect fit on your vehicle and probably more appropriate one.
I was assuming you know that, that diameter is what counts.
My SIenna is also super, duper, uber Limited etc. but still I will put steel wheels and 235/55 R17 winter tires as who cares, it is Toyota, there is no such word as dynamic or power in it.

No you were implying above that somehow I thought my Highlander was some premium vehicle above all others with the way you made your smart a-- comment above and that is why I asked you what your problem was.

I was only pointing out to QP that it came with 19's as did the Hybrid trim model because I thought he was making the the statement that they came with 18's. We later worked out that it was a miscommunication and that's it.

You came along and started making out like I was trying to be some bad a-- because I have a limited trim Highlander which I wasn't. Here the basic trim level Highlander comes with 17" because that is what the parts guy told me when I enquired what Toyota wanted for the tires at my local dealership and that I could run 17's, 18's or the 19's mine came with but that 19's are hard to find steel rims for.

OK, so your is Limited Platinum super, duper, uber Highlander.
Now, what that has to do with the fact that 18 inches tires have same diameter as 19 inches tires? There is a reason why 19 inches have lower profile. There is nothing special in drivetrain of your Highlander and basic version with pretty much nothing inside. Trim level is equipment.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
What is actually that you want from winter tire? If you want deep snow, slush, yeah Nokian might be best choice. If you want overall god performance, in dry, wet, snow etc, Nokian might not be best choice. Winter tires are tricky business and there are a lot of compromises. But remember this, worst winter tire is better in snow then best all season. So choosing any reputable winter tire will make huge difference in snow.

But the best all-weather tire will be better in snow than the worst winter tire?

According to CR, yes.

Originally Posted by StevieC
No you were implying above that somehow I thought my Highlander was some premium vehicle above all others with the way you made your smart a-- comment above and that is why I asked you what your problem was.

I was only pointing out to QP that it came with 19's as did the Hybrid trim model because I thought he was making the the statement that they came with 18's. We later worked out that it was a miscommunication and that's it.

You came along and started making out like I was trying to be some bad a-- because I have a limited trim Highlander which I wasn't. Here the basic trim level Highlander comes with 17" because that is what the parts guy told me when I enquired what Toyota wanted for the tires at my local dealership and that I could run 17's, 18's or the 19's mine came with but that 19's are hard to find steel rims for.

OK, so your is Limited Platinum super, duper, uber Highlander.
Now, what that has to do with the fact that 18 inches tires have same diameter as 19 inches tires? There is a reason why 19 inches have lower profile. There is nothing special in drivetrain of your Highlander and basic version with pretty much nothing inside. Trim level is equipment.

Yeah, I was actually implying that you think that somehow your Highlander is special.
That is what your post stated. It is limited, platinum, uber, sport, hence it can only go with 19".
I told you it can go with 18" immediately, without thinking which trim it is, because it is irrelevant. By the way, Highlander does not come with 17". You can put it on, but even LE comes with 18", at least here in the States.

Where did I say it was "uber sport" ? Please show me...

Second as I explained already I was only pointing out the Limited edition because that dictates that it comes with 19" rims here. No other reason. Please also show me where I made a big deal about this and how I was trying to be better than anyone else.

Last edited:
Where did I say it was "uber sport" ? Please show me...

Second as I explained already I was only pointing out the Limited edition because that dictates that it comes with 19" rims here. No other reason. Please also show me where I made a big deal about this and how I was trying to be better than anyone else.

I said super duper. Not sure how you think I would put sport and Toyota in same sentence?
Your post reads that way, if not, fine, sorry for that. I said 18" are fine, you said limited. My assumption was that someone who generated more then 19,000 posts here has an idea about diameter of the wheel and how that affects speedometer. But, I guess I was wrong.

You said "sport" in this post below or did you forget?

As for 19,000 posts I have been here 10 years and had conversations with many folks in that time. I didn't know there was a limit on posts but if you feel concerned feel free to notify the mods of any of my posts.

Yeah, I was actually implying that you think that somehow your Highlander is special.
That is what your post stated. It is limited, platinum, uber, sport, hence it can only go with 19".
I told you it can go with 18" immediately, without thinking which trim it is, because it is irrelevant. By the way, Highlander does not come with 17". You can put it on, but even LE comes with 18", at least here in the States.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Just go for the r3. If your roads in the winter have more ice than snow then go for hakka 8.

Typically it's more cold than anything else but then we will get a dumping of snow and the roads are a mess of thick sloshy snow until they clean it up. Ice is only a concern sometimes because of the amount of salt and brine they use.

Thanks for the recommendation along with all the others.
thumbsup2.gif

Just go for the r3. If your roads in the winter have more ice than snow then go for hakka 8.

Typically it's more cold than anything else but then we will get a dumping of snow and the roads are a mess of thick sloshy snow until they clean it up. Ice is only a concern sometimes because of the amount of salt and brine they use.

thumbsup2.gif

Let's go back on subject ok. If dumping of snow is just temporarily issue, then question is: is it worth sacrificing dry and wet performance for several days of deep snow? Any winter tire will do good in those conditions, maybe R3 will do best, but based on tread design of R3 I cannot imagine being one of better performers in dry. That is what would be consideration for me. How much of value for you is dry performance or wet performance and how annoying for you is that "squishy" feeling winter tires have?

thumbsup2.gif

Let's go back on subject ok. If dumping of snow is just temporarily issue, then question is: is it worth sacrificing dry and wet performance for several days of deep snow? Any winter tire will do good in those conditions, maybe R3 will do best, but based on tread design of R3 I cannot imagine being one of better performers in dry. That is what would be consideration for me. How much of value for you is dry performance or wet performance and how annoying for you is that "squishy" feeling winter tires have?

I have no problems in wet and dry tarmack with the r2 wich is the older version. Suprise snow is a nightmere and there is the real danger. And the "squishy" feeling is not what you get with nokia tyres.

What speeds are you driving in Finland?
We may be talking 80mph = 128km/h here in the USA.

Krzys

thumbsup2.gif

I have no problems in wet and dry tarmack with the r2 wich is the older version. Suprise snow is a nightmere and there is the real danger. And the "squishy" feeling is not what you get with nokia tyres.

I find R2, which I have horrid in wet and dry compare to any winter tire I had, except Hankook W300 and Sava Eskimo S3, but Sava is kind of same tire like Nokian, great in snow and ice, horrid in everything else.
Let's not forget that Car and Driver did snow track in Sweden with R2 only 0.17sec faster then with Michelin Xi3.

Check your wheel alignment. Sorry havent notice any horrid performance in wet or dry.

Yes, because I usually drive with bad alignment and never occurred to me to regularly check that.
I had around 40 winter tires model since I drive, can figure out when tire is good, mediocre or just bad.
Nokian is good tire, however, nothing more, nothing less. In the end, as far as I remember even test results put R2 as really bad in wet.
But, who knows, maybe you got some of those they used to cheat on tests.

Check your wheel alignment. Sorry havent notice any horrid performance in wet or dry.

Yes, because I usually drive with bad alignment and never occurred to me to regularly check that.
I had around 40 winter tires model since I drive, can figure out when tire is good, mediocre or just bad.
Nokian is good tire, however, nothing more, nothing less. In the end, as far as I remember even test results put R2 as really bad in wet.

Still cant really agree that them are horrid in wet, yes if you compere them with summer tyres or drive with them in the summer time. Two diffrent opinions we have, you didint like them and i did like them.

Still cant really agree that them are horrid in wet, yes if you compere them with summer tyres or drive with them in the summer time. Two diffrent opinions we have, you didint like them and i did like them.

I compare them to other winter tires I had on vehicles. Not just wet, they are bad in dry (well, they are soft and have huge gaps, so no surprise there), they are hard, and making this clunky noise over road imperfections. Like I said it is good tire, but overall, unless someone lives in area that has roads covered in snow and ice for 90% of days in winter, it is mediocre tire. Michelin Xi2, which I was very skeptical of, as many can confirm here, proved much, much better overall choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back