Nokian Hakkapelitta R3 - Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by StevieC
Did some investigating and the 19" version of this tire for my Highlander is $75 more a tire than the 18" and trying to track down 19" steel rims with the bolt pattern for my Highlander is near impossible, no one seems to stock them and if they do they are a ridiculous price. I can find Alloys no problem but they are wicked expensive and for the winter I'm not paying to have fancy pants rims on there.

Good news is I can get 18" of these tires and steel rims to match so I think I'm going to go that route. My speedometer will be a little off, but meh.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with this brand. Previously I used Michelin X-Ice and had been happy with those but wanted to try something different and because it's covered by my company I can be picky.
grin2.gif

Why would speedometer be off if you go with 18"? 18" is standard size on Highlander.

Mine came with 19's from the Factory. It's the Limited Platinum Trim level.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by krzyss
What is price difference between 18" steel and 18" alloy for your Highlander?

KrzyÅ›

The Alloy's are $279 / Rim and the Steel are $60. CDN, so you would have to take of 30% to convert to USD

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by Traction
I would like to get the best winter tire possible for my 02 Camry 205/65-15. I want to have some fun this winter with that car. Where is the best place to buy Nokian tires from???

Nokian just came out with the new R3 tire. As of now, Tires by Web seems to be the only place that has the new R3 in your size 205/65-15

Walmart has the older R2 at a great price
smile.gif

Mine are coming from Kaltire here in Canada (Chain). It's the only place I can find them at.
Our company happens to get a discount there and it's local to my house which is a plus.

They have R3's in stock already.

wink.gif

OK, but if you choose your tire size correctly, the overall diameter should be the same as factory.

Thanks. I'm interested in buying the latest/greatest winter tire, studded, or not.

The R2 and R3 I mentioned above are the studless variety.

Nokian doesn't appear to offer the studded Hakka 9 in the size you need 205/65-15.

Mine are coming from Kaltire here in Canada (Chain). It's the only place I can find them at.
Our company happens to get a discount there and it's local to my house which is a plus.

They have R3's in stock already.

I believe Nokian is exclusive to Kal Tire in Canada

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
wink.gif

OK, but if you choose your tire size correctly, the overall diameter should be the same as factory.

Confused... I wanted to get 19's for the Nokians which is no problem at Kal Tire but finding 19" steel rims is a problem here with the Toyota bolt pattern required so I opted for 18" instead and 18" steel rims.

Depending on the Highlander trim model they come with 17's up to 19's. On the Highlander Limited Platinum and Hybrid Limited they come with 19" by default from Toyota.

What I was trying to say is that both 245/55/19 as well as 245/60/18 have about the same overall diameter, so your speedo will not be off, assuming R3 is available in that size.

Did some investigating and the 19" version of this tire for my Highlander is $75 more a tire than the 18" and trying to track down 19" steel rims with the bolt pattern for my Highlander is near impossible, no one seems to stock them and if they do they are a ridiculous price. I can find Alloys no problem but they are wicked expensive and for the winter I'm not paying to have fancy pants rims on there.

Good news is I can get 18" of these tires and steel rims to match so I think I'm going to go that route. My speedometer will be a little off, but meh.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with this brand. Previously I used Michelin X-Ice and had been happy with those but wanted to try something different and because it's covered by my company I can be picky.
grin2.gif

Why would speedometer be off if you go with 18"? 18" is standard size on Highlander.

wink.gif

OK, so your is Limited Platinum super, duper, uber Highlander.
Now, what that has to do with the fact that 18 inches tires have same diameter as 19 inches tires? There is a reason why 19 inches have lower profile. There is nothing special in drivetrain of your Highlander and basic version with pretty much nothing inside. Trim level is equipment.

Last edited:
I would like to get the best winter tire possible for my 02 Camry 205/65-15. I want to have some fun this winter with that car. Where is the best place to buy Nokian tires from???

What is actually that you want from winter tire? If you want deep snow, slush, yeah Nokian might be best choice. If you want overall god performance, in dry, wet, snow etc, Nokian might not be best choice. Winter tires are tricky business and there are a lot of compromises. But remember this, worst winter tire is better in snow then best all season. So choosing any reputable winter tire will make huge difference in snow.

What is actually that you want from winter tire? If you want deep snow, slush, yeah Nokian might be best choice. If you want overall god performance, in dry, wet, snow etc, Nokian might not be best choice. Winter tires are tricky business and there are a lot of compromises. But remember this, worst winter tire is better in snow then best all season. So choosing any reputable winter tire will make huge difference in snow.

But the best all-weather tire will be better in snow than the worst winter tire?

I have been running winter tires on all my families vehicles going back to 1996. I have been somewhat disappointed with every winter I've tried since the Blizzak WS-15"s I had on 3 different vehicles back then all running on 15 inch wheels. A 94 Bonneville, 96 Chevy truck, and a 95 Impala SS. Those tires were the best I've ever had, a lot of fun, and would like something that good again. They were definitely geared more towards snow/ice, and not dry handling like everything now tries to be instead.

grin2.gif

wink.gif

OK, so your is Limited Platinum super, duper, uber Highlander.
Now, what that has to do with the fact that 18 inches tires have same diameter as 19 inches tires? There is a reason why 19 inches have lower profile. There is nothing special in drivetrain of your Highlander and basic version with pretty much nothing inside. Trim level is equipment.

What is your problem? I was just explaining that it came with 19's from the factory and which trims were like that. Only because I was conversing with QP about using 18's instead of keeping it the same with the 19's it came with.

Last edited:

I have been running winter tires on all my families vehicles going back to 1996. I have been somewhat disappointed with every winter I've tried since the Blizzak WS-15"s I had on 3 different vehicles back then all running on 15 inch wheels. A 94 Bonneville, 96 Chevy truck, and a 95 Impala SS. Those tires were the best I've ever had, a lot of fun, and would like something that good again. They were definitely geared more towards snow/ice, and not dry handling like everything now tries to be instead.

Yeah I found the Blizzak's hit/miss as I had a set that were great and the next set not so great so I switched to X-Ice instead, also because there is some good deals on them here at the end of the season.

I just saw my new CR magazine, and they picked the Cooper True North #1. Too bad they don't make that one in a 15, but it makes me consider getting the Cooper Evolution winter with studs. I've been impressed with the new Evolution H-rated 205/65-15 all seasons on my 02 Camry so far.

Last edited:
I just saw my new CR magazine, and they picked the Cooper True North #1. Too bad they don't make that one in a 15, but it makes me consider getting the Cooper Evolution winter with studs. I've been impressed with the new Evolution H-rated 205/65-15 all seasons on my 02 Camry so far.

First, you want to decide whether or not you want studs. IMO, the only studded tires worth buying are the Hakka 8 and 9. The 9 isn't available in your size, but the 8 is. Tires-Easy has them.

Also, keep in mind that the True North wasn't on sale to the public when CR did their testing and is just becoming available now.

What did CR rank as the #2 winter tire?
smile.gif

Get the Hakka 8 if you want a studded tire, or the R3 if you want studless

Curious, having never run winter tires, what do you average for miles before they are ready to be disposed of ? I haven't a cue...

Thanks.

PS - I know the Cooper Weather Master supposedly sucks, but how about the Evolution ?

Mileage of any tires depends on driver and environment. Winter tires are even more susceptible to temperature.
My performance winters were good for 2-3 seasons while XIce Xi3 seems to last 4-5 in similar conditions.
However it was relative pleasure to wear performance winters during their last summer I do not foresee the same with Xi3s.

KrzyÅ›

Thoughts on this tire for winter? (Price isn't a factor) Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3

FWIW I have had couple of sets of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 and have been very pleased with those. I understand R3 is an improvement of R2 and would have no problems in getting a set.

Now what is this Hakkapeliitta you may wonder...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakkapeliitta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back