Nokian G4 In Review

Just wanted to mention that 5 months ago, while searching for the best tires for our new 19'' wheels. we ran tough 5 sets of different tires with the help of discount tire. We drove the van on 5 different sets of tires in an attempt to isolate the best tires for our set up. We're following Discount tire's suggestions on locating the correct load index wheel and the correct load rated tires. The issue we ran into with 5 out of 6 sets of tire, is that all had one thing in common. They all had very weak side walls. because the van's very tight turning radius, 5 sets of these tires could not withstand sharp curves or turns. The weak side walls would make the van handle dangerously and often it would seem as if the tires would pop off the rim edge. This makes twice we've tried two different Nokian tires on the van and found that the second attempt (the G4's) was the best tire for our van. Although it was close, meaning as a last resort, we could have ended up with runflats.

imageedit_3_2081651540.jpg

After 4000 miles worth of driving on these Nokain G4's, these tires simply will not stop no matter what the road conditions. dry, wet, snow, ice even dirt and mud. With it's unique 4 zone tread pattern designed for all types of road conditions, these have to be some of the best tires we've ever own. As for the sidewalls of these tires, they are made with Kevlar with helps strengthen the sidewalls and reduce flexing. At 300.00 a pop, they aren't cheap, but in the knowing these are the best alterative tires for our van, we would buy them in the heartbeat.
So if you haven't looked into or thought about the Nokian brand.. Might need to and although our testing suited our van, your results may vary.

Last edited:
That’s what I’ve got on my wife’s Volvo XC-70 and I’ve been very happy with the traction and handling as well.

They’re the third set of Nokian WR on this car. Previously it was the WR G3.

I‘m glad that Discount Tire is carrying Nokian. They used to be very hard to get.

I need to get a set of tires for the new to me XC-90 - the WR G4 are the leading contender.

@Astro14 The wife and I just can not believe these tires and how well they handle and perform through all types of road conditions. We're very thankful for Discount Tire (which is a 3 hour drive for us) for taking the time and months to help us locate the correct tire for the van. Now onward to getting that 28mm sway bar to help reduce some body roll.

The favorite tires on the 2013 were wrg2 suv.
even with 4/32 they did better in the winter than new oem.
unfortunately they were done before 40k due to wearing out.

Just wanted to mention that 5 months ago, while searching for the best tires for our new 19'' wheels. we ran tough 5 sets of different tires with the help of discount tire. We drove the van on 5 different sets of tires in an attempt to isolate the best tires for our set up. We're following Discount tire's suggestions on locating the correct load index wheel and the correct load rated tires. The issue we ran into with 5 out of 6 sets of tire, is that all had one thing in common. They all had very weak side walls. because the van's very tight turning radius, 5 sets of these tires could not withstand sharp curves or turns. The weak side walls would make the van handle dangerously and often it would seem as if the tires would pop off the rim edge. This makes twice we've tried two different Nokian tires on the van and found that the second attempt (the G4's) was the best tire for our van. Although it was close, meaning as a last resort, we could have ended up with runflats.

View attachment 147259

After 4000 miles worth of driving on these Nokain G4's, these tires simply will not stop no matter what the road conditions. dry, wet, snow, ice even dirt and mud. With it's unique 4 zone tread pattern designed for all types of road conditions, these have to be some of the best tires we've ever own. As for the sidewalls of these tires, they are made with Kevlar with helps strengthen the sidewalls and reduce flexing. At 300.00 a pop, they aren't cheap, but in the knowing these are the best alterative tires for our van, we would buy them in the heartbeat.
So if you haven't looked into or thought about the Nokian brand.. Might need to and although our testing suited our van, your results may vary.
What van do you own that makes buying tires so difficult?

@CKN It's not the van per say it's the wheel combo on the van. Meaning the van started life with 16''x7'' ET50 w/ 215/55/R16 then we installed the 19''x8.5 Et40 Axe CS Lite wheels w/ 245/40/R19 Nokian tires is the best alterative we've run across. We selected the wheels first had them sipped to us from England as these wheels are not available in the US. Once a single wheel arrive, we drove to Discount Tire and had them mount a random 245/40 on it just to check the fit.
imageedit_9_6366987966.jpg

Once checked, I was able to order the other 3 tires (without any customs fees) then returned to Discount Tire for the full set on the van.
imageedit_1_7617779328.jpg

In this image the store manager was mounting the 3rd set of Kumho tires.. which didn't last 1 week. We had a crowd of tech circulating the van checking out the install. The main stipulation to this was that Discount Tire would not sell me a set of just any tires for the van. They needed to be the same or better load rated tires to suit the van. The door jam tag reads 98 or better. Even with some of those other tires saying 98 LR, the tires over flexed or didn't ride like 98's. The Kumho turned out being the worse of the lot. So matching the correct load index wheel with the correct load rate tire.. was a challenge.

Last edited:

View attachment 147259

How do you stop with tires that "simply will not stop no matter what the road conditions"?

Krzyś

Make sure you rotate them often, every 3000 to 6000 miles per the manufacturer's recommendation. Nokian has a pothole guarantee that one won't damage their tires.

What van do you own that makes buying tires so difficult?
Must be the small Ford Transit Connect. Ford Focus sized tires on a van that weighs 1000lbs more than a Focus and can carry another 1600lbs. And then they went with low profile rim and wanted an all-weather tire with stiff sidewalls probably at doorjamb pressure.
Not the easiest set of criteria!
I wonder if the shop set these XL tires at 42 psi? I would think then they wouldn't roll over too much?

Must be the small Ford Transit Connect. Ford Focus sized tires on a van that weighs 1000lbs more than a Focus and can carry another 1600lbs. And then they went with low profile rim and wanted an all-weather tire with stiff sidewalls probably at doorjamb pressure.
Not the easiest set of criteria!
I wonder if the shop set these XL tires at 42 psi? I would think then they wouldn't roll over too much?
XL tires are not going to roll over. There are transit connect vans used for businesses that are running all manner of tires-both cheap and not so cheap. However-the 19" wheels do throw a wrench in to things.

@IndyIan originally DT manager asked that we put 44 PSI in them but, told them that let me see how that goes, the tires felt spongy. Were now running 45 front 46 rear.

And yes these are 98 XL tires. all the other failed tires were also 98 XL but with weaker sidewalls.

@SatinSilver 5K is less that 300miles away.. So we'll be planning a road trip Discount Tire. Come spring, I may rotate them myself as it's due for a caliper repaint.

Last edited:
@IndyIan originally DT manager asked that we put 44 PSI in them but, told them that let me see how that goes, the tires felt spongy. Were now running 45 front 46 rear.

And yes these are 98 XL tires. all the other failed tires were also 98 XL but with weaker sidewalls.

@SatinSilver 5K is less that 300miles away.. So we'll be planning a road trip Discount Tire. Come spring, I may rotate them myself as it's due for a caliper repaint.

View attachment 147294
What are other tires?

View attachment 147294
What vehicle is that?

I happened to look at Nokian’s website yesterday and it appears that the WR G4 has been discontinued and is replaced by the Seasonproof. The tread pattern on the Seasonproof looks more like the Michelin CrossClimate or Hankook Kinergy 4S2 than other all weather tires offered by Nokian in the past.

I happened to look at Nokian’s website yesterday and it appears that the WR G4 has been discontinued and is replaced by the Seasonproof. The tread pattern on the Seasonproof looks more like the Michelin CrossClimate or Hankook Kinergy 4S2 than other all weather tires offered by Nokian in the past.

Wrong Nokian site. You're looking at the international site (hence the spelling "tyre" on the address)

go to www.nokiantires.com and you'll see the WR G4 for US/Canada.

Great tires just make sure to keep on top of rotations. Nokian winter biased ones then into tractor tires in noise with odd wear. I have owned them on off since 2000.

Currently my daughter has their bargain line(old designs) on her Acura ILX with the Nordmann Solstice.

His profile picture has something else.
What size is that? Doesn't Transit use a commercial line of tires?
The body molding is transit connect

Supposed to use commercial tires but he went 19” wheels which tires are not available in commercial loads

Maybe the thread was TL;DR

Back