Noco 1000 amp Li-Ion booster pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of the original models which is the same as the one now marketed as 1000 amps. In reality its only putting out 200 amps. It does work on many different vehicles as a low battery produces some amps and the booster provides the extra 200, so depending on what you are starting you might find it useful.

I was able to start a 99 Taurus 3.0 OHV engine with no battery in the car and the Noco hooked right up to the battery terminals. I have jump started quite a few 4 cyl vehicles with it no problem. It would not even spin a Nissan pathfinder with a dead battery though in the negative temperatures.

Based on this calculator it only takes 243 amps to crank a 182 cubic inch v6 - http://www.bgsoflex.com/cgi-bin/cca.cgi?cid=182&cyl=6

I would feel a lot more confident with the "2000 Amp" model the sell which is probably 400 amps.

Here is whats inside my unit i posted previously.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3523151/Noco_Genius_Boost_Exposed!!!

I highly doubt most starters are rated much higher than 2kW (200A at 10V battery conduction voltage).

I went to a local trade school and I am an Auto Mech Grad (I graduated in 2013 at WICC) and I help people out on the side to try and make a few dollars but they are usually friends so I don't make any money for most things but I have a lot of fun lol.

I talk to so many people about their cars all the time I am moving towards sending people to get quality work done at good prices and to help them get better pricing. It seems to be people love the help so they just don't get ripped off or to reduce the fear of paying way too much for a repair that may not be needed.

If anyone needs a link to my school I went to let me know, I can get work done there for donuts.

Yes I can get work done for pizzas, donuts, coffees, but you are REALLY helping out the students.

It is in the West Island on Pierrefonds BLVD across from the City Hall and I will gladly hook ANYONE up for free repairs of any makes and models. The German makes, sadly, is very hard on the teachers as for those cars the teacher would end up doing the repair for you but the students will watch and take notes and videos off of their cellphones but I'd have to talk to the teachers to see how they feel about the level of involvement they would need to spend to fix a German make.

The only thing you have to do is fill out a waiver as they are only Students.

Honda tends to be the strongest repairs the students do as many are Honda Acura owners (old beaters they are kids), but they will do great work on Toyota, GM, Ford, Chrysler as well pretty much in that order.

Anyway anyone PM me, this is important that the Students get as much work as possible to practice on. They get to fill out customer complaint, and go through their module books. They love it then pig out together on Pizzas (Sources Pizza IMO is the best Pizza in the West Island).

So no fantasy from me! I can be standing with my old teachers looking at repairing a BITOG members car at any time. I just get a kick out of it as a hobby for now I will see how things grow, I will definately keep my day job for a long time to come.

Cheers for all your help guys!

Last edited:
I've got a $40 one from Walmart, an EverStart? Have had it for a little over a year and haven't really used it until a couple weeks ago when I bought my Buick from an auction. Battery was completely dead, it jumped it perfectly.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I highly doubt most starters are rated much higher than 2kW (200A at 10V battery conduction voltage).

My manual trans Subaru starter is rated at 280A x 8V = 2.24 kW

With an auto trans, the Subaru starter is upgraded to 370A x 8V = 2.96kW

Last edited:
I picked a Suaoki Li-Ion pack off Amazon to play with... $40 worth a try. From what I've seen they work fine if sized accordingly. Cold weather can be a problem as lithium cells are rated at room temp (typically) and not freezing like starting batteries.

Long-term or heavy usage is to be seen as well. What they offer is compact and lightweight package, but it might come at the expense of life. The old tried and true is a lead-acid batter booster pack (JNC or Solar)... its bulky and heavy, but it works for years and years.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

Source??? I see them rated as 1.3-1.4kW.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

Source??? I see them rated as 1.3-1.4kW.

Factory service manual for 2005 Legacy GT.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Amp draw is really going to depend on gas/diesel, # of cylinder and temps... I'd say an average of 200A for a gasser and easily doubled in the cold.

The starter for my 3L turbo diesel is rated at 1.7kW

That's a lot for a gas engine (2KW), the 455 Buick only had a 1.4KW, the GM 502 with high torque starter was 1.4KW with a 1.7KW option. The old W123 diesel starters were about 2.3KW but there is a big difference between a diesel and gas starter motor.
Most small 4cyl like the WRX use an 0.8-1.0KW usually not much more.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Amp draw is really going to depend on gas/diesel, # of cylinder and temps... I'd say an average of 200A for a gasser and easily doubled in the cold.

The starter for my 3L turbo diesel is rated at 1.7kW

And? Is that measured or spec? Do you know how averages work?

Specs aren't written around peaks, but average continuous draw. For example starter solenoids can be rated at 100A, but 700A peak. Personally I'd go bigger than smaller with those jump packs, especially if you plan on using it in the cold or leaving it in the car for emergencies.

In all reality, the lithium cells for these packs are not well-suited to starting application and their claims of capacity and draw are a little exaggerated... but that's another story. The Suaoki pack I got is rated at 400A... yeah right, maybe for a fraction of a split second.

One strange thing about this Starter Pack is that it does NOT come equipped with a charger. It requires a typical USB charger to initially charge and re-charge the pack. Try and find a 2 amp charger for this purpose. My Noco came with 2/3's of a charge out of the box, and it required 3-1/2 hours to fully charge it using a 1 amp charger.

More strange is that although it is not equipped with a plug-in USB charger, it is equipped with a USB cord.

I haven't used it to start a car yet but it seems more idiot-proof than a set of jumper cables - which I also carry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back