No PH3593,TG3593,XG3593 at Walmart

My Mazda truck takes the Fram 3593 filter. I normally hit the local walmart for my oil filters. They used to stock every version of the filter PH,TG, XG. Now having been to two walmarts in my area and neither have any 3593 filters. Not even a spot on the shelf for them. Went to the local Rural king and they are sold out of every version of the 3593 filter.

I thought this was common enough filter that walmart wouldn't stop stocking them but I don't know now?

Last edited:
I used to buy them too for my Mazda trucks but I’m not allowed to anymore. I have noticed them not being there. I have one left of the PH3593A it’s one of the old ones made by Honeywell. I will probably never use it since it’s in the old style box I feel it’s worth money.

Stocking at Walmart makes no sense to me sometimes.

As said, a 9688, 7317 and even 6607 all interchange.
The 9688 is the closest match in size, but I think the 7317 is the true interchange filter.

The Fram 3593 is the spec'd filter for older Hondas and perhaps other Asian brands.
Odd. The 7317 is a bit longer, should still fit fine.

My 2¢

Reactions: JC1
Stocking at Walmart makes no sense to me sometimes.

As said, a 9688, 7317 and even 6607 all interchange.
The 9688 is the closest match in size, but I think the 7317 is the true interchange filter.

Many vehicles that I have used the 3593a series filters in the past have been updated to 9688 series filter usage recommendation in recent years, I am of the opinion that they are interchangeable as long as one or the other fits in the area of installation. Just one man's opinion, also I would not use a 7317 series filter in the place of either one of the other two unless it was specifically recommended by the manufacturer.

Now as to why Walmart might not be stocking them? I would say that there is a profit motive behind pushing the 9688 series filters, again just my opinion :)

6607 is too far off to be a good match IMO, 7317 is reasonably close,

9688 is pretty much identical minus being 0.25" shorter. I would go with this one.

6607 is too far off to be a good match IMO, 7317 is reasonably close,

9688 is pretty much identical minus being 0.25" shorter. I would go with this one.
The 6607 size is used by many quick lube places with no issues whatsoever for the 3593a and 7317.

Yes it is a smaller diameter and shorter, but the base gasket is within spec of the 3593a, almost identical to the 7317, and bypass is only 1 psi different (13 vs 12). The 7317 bypass is listed as 9-15.

Also many motorcycles call for the Fram PH6017a, and it is identical to the PH6607, and many use the 7317, 3593a and even the 9688 in place of it with no issues.

As far as I am concerned, these filters are all interchangeable on a Honda.

On a Hyundai/Kia, I would only recommend a 9688 (Fram made a specific filter for it due to some issues).
That said, I interchange all these on Hyundai/Kia as well, but that is my choice, not recommendation.

Yes, officially gone from Walmart. All hail PH9688.
PXL_20210410_171026985.jpg

I was at WM a week ago looking for FRAM filters as well. Stock was severely reduced compared to what they used to stock. Actual stock numbers/spaces were only about half of one aisle where they used to have enough stock for one complete side and some of the other side. Not only that, but about 1 out of 3 FRAM XG boxes had seals broken and contained a SuperTech filter...

I was at WM a week ago looking for FRAM filters as well. Stock was severely reduced compared to what they used to stock. Actual stock numbers/spaces were only about half of one aisle where they used to have enough stock for one complete side and some of the other side. Not only that, but about 1 out of 3 FRAM XG boxes had seals broken and contained a SuperTech filter...
my walmart was like that too till recently...now heavily stock with base supertech to the new K&N. Only thing they dont really stock much of is OEM filters.

Yes, officially gone from Walmart. All hail PH9688.View attachment 56813
3593a has never been a Hyundai/Kia filter number.
Way back when (like 2005-2006) Fram used to recommend the 6607 for H/K, and that is the timeframe of all the ticking issues and H/K putting out the service bulletin to use only OEM filters.
Fram had no filter offering for quite a few years till they came out with the 9688.

I guess the 9688 will be my go to now unless there is a bigger version?

The Fram 3593a IS the bigger version of the 9688 :)

Look elsewhere, the Great Walmart of China is not the only place that has offered the 3593a filters. I know Advance Auto Parts has a Fram Titanium version 3593a and many farm stores like Mills Fleet Farm, Blain's Farm & Fleet, Rural King, etc usually have an abundance of Fram filters available in most variations.

Back