no oil changes on B&S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a cheap hand pump to evacuate oil from small engines like this. To Sayjac's question above, there's still a fill hole with a dipstick (or, at least there was with last year's models), so you can either follow the "no oil changes" decal or you can change the oil as you would without it.

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
With an oil suction pump you eliminate that part of the equation
thumbsup2.gif

Oh, absolutely. My manual just recommends turning it upside down, after being out of fuel. Someone probably had to change the oil on the thing with a lit cigarette and then blamed B&S somewhere along the line.
wink.gif

Only a moron would buy a gas mower that does not get its oil changed. My god. Im amazed, well guess we were getting there, now throw away lawn mowers.
Then again, I do understand there are some that never change oil in a mower but I think those people now have people cut the lawn for them.

Oops just read the story, its not a sealed engine, you can still change the oil. Duh of course you have to be able to add oil so same thing. Most people dont change and B&D just capitalizing on marketing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
18.gif

Search before you post...

And if he brought that thread from the dead, you'd still be beating your horse.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I use a cheap hand pump to evacuate oil from small engines like this. To Sayjac's question above, there's still a fill hole with a dipstick (or, at least there was with last year's models), so you can either follow the "no oil changes" decal or you can change the oil as you would without it.

So there's a fill hole, and there's still a drain plug under the mower deck to use for draining? If so I'm ok with the B&S recommendation. As noted, right or wrong, lots of push mower owners that do little or no maintenance on them anyway.

And yes I agree with those mentioning an inexpensive oil extractor/suction pump. While I haven't used it yet I bought a small battery powered (12v wet cell) one from Northern Tool for ~$15 not long ago. Would think it would work perfectly. I see they now sell a manual extractor for ~$10 now too, looks like it would work well for a push mower too.

A question for someone who has one of these briggs: Do they have somekind of controlled consumption, ie. does the oil level drop a bit in say 25 hrs? That would explain the recommendation, the engine would frequently get some new oil and if you don't add any, you are out of warranty...
I could totally understand that a briggs that would get say 30% new oil added every 25 hrs could last veery long!

My briggs engines don't use up a drop of oil in many hours so in my engines there could lots of hours (too many) before I would have to add fresh oil...

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
So there's a fill hole, and there's still a drain plug under the mower deck to use for draining? If so I'm ok with the B&S recommendation. As noted, right or wrong, lots of push mower owners that do little or no maintenance on them anyway.

If it's anything like mine, there is technically a drain plug at the bottom of the engine, but it's not accessible from under the mower deck.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
18.gif

Search before you post...

And if he brought that thread from the dead, you'd still be beating your horse.
crackmeup2.gif

If he'd found one of those many threads, he would have seen that there was very little to talk about in the first place. YES, they say you can go without changing the oil. YES, that's what most people do anyway. NO, it's not a good idea. YES, you can tip the mower over and do it anyway. Therefore, this marketing gimmick affected exactly zero people.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

If it's anything like mine, there is technically a drain plug at the bottom of the engine, but it's not accessible from under the mower deck.

Can you elaborate on that. I haven't owned a push mower for awhile so I'm trying to understand. Back when I owned on there was a drain plug under the mower deck to drain the oil. So is this why some posters are saying turn the mower over to drain out the oil through the fill hole?

In any case, sounds like an inexpensive extractor would work well for these.

Several models have been without a drain for several years. I have a push mower that I flip onto a drain pan to change the oil. It is best done with little to no gas in the tank.

Can you elaborate on that. I haven't owned a push mower for awhile so I'm trying to understand. Back when I owned on there was a drain plug under the mower deck to drain the oil. So is this why some posters are saying turn the mower over to drain out the oil through the fill hole?

Yes, precisely. I guess the mower deck itself doesn't have a little access hole for the drain plug on the engine. The engine only manual shows and describes a drain plug. However, the mower manual itself says you must upturn the motor to drain the oil through the fill hole. I never actually personally verified that the drain plug is inaccessible from under the deck, but I'm assuming the manual is correct.

I'm sure an extractor would work, too. I never really tried any of my little transfer pumps or anything yet.

Ok, got it. Now I understand better what's going on. So one can check oil level and add if needed but B&S saying no complete drain needed. Again, guessing lots of folks with push mowers might have done something similar (just add oil as needed) even on the older type with a drain plug.

My barber claims to have several small engines, lawn mower, generator, pressure washer, none of which have ever had an oil change. He just tops them off and runs them. They are all over 15 years old and going strong according to him.

And? Likely the deck will rot out before the engine gives up... or the fuel system will be compromised. I hear this often with commercial cutting equipment as well. The chassis and deck are the first to go and it isn't worth replacing them.

How much usage is the average owner put on a push mower, pressure washer, etc...?

I'm running my Briggs with Mobil 1 10W30. Not changing it. I don't like the exi engine. Let's see how long it lasts. I'll probably get sick of it and buy a Honda.

The 190cc Briggs "professional series" on my Snapper ninja mulcher has an oil filter and drain plug, but the plug drains directly on the wheel drive system belt. I guess I don't understand why you'd want to use a drain plug on something as simple as a push mower anyway, when you can simply run it until it's out of fuel, flip it on it's side and drain it from the fill/dipstick tube. It gives you a clear view of everything underneath at this time as well.

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I had a Tecumseh powered machine that I used for fourteen years on our large lawn, large enough that all of the neighbors have riders of some kind, and may have changed the oil once or twice. Having paid $70.00 for it on clearance, I wasn't too concerned about caring for it. I just used it for probably 400 hours.
The engine held up just fine although consumption reached about two ounces an hour.
The poor thing had carb problems and the last straw was when the O-ring at the dipstick base blew out.
I replaced the blade once on this machine and other than that gave it gas and oil.
What I'm saying here is that these little splash lubed engines are tough and will last for many hours as long as they have adequate oil levels.
Changing the oil is nice and good practice, but the engine will run well beyond the life of the machine as a whole as long as the oil level is maintained above some minimal level.

Got mine last Saturday. So weird to start, as it is different. You pull the start rope about 6-8" until you feel resistance; then you let 'er rip. Out of the box, my wife goes after this badly overgrown thick grass and it just....wouldn't....stop, let alone slow down. Really powerful. Just tried it again today; to make sure it hadn't seized on that really thick grass. Nope! One pull start. So far, I'm impressed. I will change the oil at the season's end and see what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back