No More Oil Changes For Mowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They won't last as long as they could. But, how many people really change the oil on their lawnmowers to begin with? Certainly BITOG members do.

It's a disposable mower. That's what it comes down to. Keep the throwaway society going.

JUNK!

Seems like they engineers figured out a way to market the mower in a better way. I however, would NEVER go without EVER changing the oil.

Quote:
WHAT:
EXi is Briggs & Stratton’s new durable and reliable engine platform that will become standard across all OEM partners and mower lines, phasing out the current Quantum engine over the next couple of years. EXi is the first walk-behind lawn mower engine that will never need an oil change—ever. The engine, launching in early 2015, is made in the USA of U.S. and global parts at Briggs & Stratton’s Poplar Bluff, Missouri plant.

WHY:
Briggs & Stratton PowerPulse research shows that, from starting to use to maintenance, consumers want easy. EXi is the next generation Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine made for consumers who want easy and expect durability and reliability. Because the engine requires no oil changes, consumers need to simply “just check and add” oil for as long as they own the mower. In addition, no tools are required to change the air filter—it doesn’t get any easier than that.

HOW:
The engine experts at Briggs & Stratton made significant design changes to the engine in order to keep the oil cool and clean, two necessary factors in extending the life of the oil. To provide consumers with a durable, easy-maintenance engine, changes include:

● An optimized combustion chamber for easier starting, more power, lower emissions and improved fuel economy.

● The addition of a radial seal paper air cleaner keeps debris out of the engine, helping to extend the life of the engine.

● The fuel neck is larger and angled toward the operator, which makes adding fuel easier and less messy.

● The use of lighter parts making it the lightest engine in its class for easier maneuverability.

All of this was done without sacrificing the Briggs & Stratton quality, power and cut that homeowners have come to expect.

WHERE:
Briggs & Stratton’s EXi engine will be featured on Toro, Husqvarna, Troy Bilt and Craftsman mowers in early 2015 and available at major retailers.

So this lifetime oil they adding will be a synthetic or conventional?

planned obsolescence.

That pretty much puts a bad taste in my mouth RE: B&S engines, for I have been, for the longest time, a fan of their flathead products.

Now? Not so much. There are better options available out there and given their non-oil-change type of OPE release, I would shy away from them from now on.

Q.

I've seen plenty on people never change the oil on new mowers and they usually goes 5+ years before they have issues. It's not that wild and it's a repost BTW.

This is what you get when marketing is in charge. It does not have to make engineering sense. It like other pursuits. The group in charge is correct.

Quote:

No More Oil Changes For Mowers

Haven't changed or added oil for my yard mower in 18 years.

Just buy an electric if a yard can accommodate it.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
like my Hoonda OHC and don't think an oil change once a mowing season istoo much to ask. I use T6 in 5-40.

Ours is a Honda OHC and its running PP 0w20. Its all I had at the time....

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Quote:
WHAT:
EXi is Briggs & Stratton’s new durable and reliable engine platform that will become standard across all OEM partners and mower lines, phasing out the current Quantum engine over the next couple of years. EXi is the first walk-behind lawn mower engine that will never need an oil change—ever. The engine, launching in early 2015, is made in the USA of U.S. and global parts at Briggs & Stratton’s Poplar Bluff, Missouri plant.

WHY:
Briggs & Stratton PowerPulse research shows that, from starting to use to maintenance, consumers want easy. EXi is the next generation Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine made for consumers who want easy and expect durability and reliability. Because the engine requires no oil changes, consumers need to simply “just check and add” oil for as long as they own the mower. In addition, no tools are required to change the air filter—it doesn’t get any easier than that.

HOW:
The engine experts at Briggs & Stratton made significant design changes to the engine in order to keep the oil cool and clean, two necessary factors in extending the life of the oil. To provide consumers with a durable, easy-maintenance engine, changes include:

● An optimized combustion chamber for easier starting, more power, lower emissions and improved fuel economy.

● The addition of a radial seal paper air cleaner keeps debris out of the engine, helping to extend the life of the engine.

● The fuel neck is larger and angled toward the operator, which makes adding fuel easier and less messy.

● The use of lighter parts making it the lightest engine in its class for easier maneuverability.

All of this was done without sacrificing the Briggs & Stratton quality, power and cut that homeowners have come to expect.

WHERE:
Briggs & Stratton’s EXi engine will be featured on Toro, Husqvarna, Troy Bilt and Craftsman mowers in early 2015 and available at major retailers.

what is a radial seal air filter

So this lifetime oil they adding will be a synthetic or conventional?

Growing up, I remember my dad just adding oil to our push mower. He never changed it and as I remember that mower was running still after I went off to the Air Force. He had it for at least 10 years before the moved to Florida and sold it. We also had 4 acres of yard and the push did most of the trim work up and down two creeks that we had running through our property.

They're probably factory-filled with SynLube.
15.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

No More Oil Changes For Mowers

Haven't changed or added oil for my yard mower in 18 years.

Just buy an electric if a yard can accommodate it.

Yep - the electric that we've got is pretty easy on maintenance. Sharpen the blade once in a while...that's it...

Could somebody 'splain to me why I need an AWD mower? What are the advantages over a reg'lar old 2wd walk behind? As for a no oil change B+S.I've already had a few of those, Tecumsehs too. No need to change the oil. Many cars too.
grin2.gif

PS You could likely get away with the scheme for a couple of seasons, before a lack of top offs kills the motor.

PPS, My mowers are cast-offs. My current trimmer is a 20 something Toro, whose GTS is still a valid claim. I change the oil every other year and check it frequently. It looks like the pickings will be interesting in the future.
grin2.gif

I must be something of an oddity these days when compared to the rest of the mower owning folks. Sometime in the early spring, I will be in the dog house for something stupid and will go into my garage. There I will change the oil in my push mower, my gas engine powered edger, and my lawn tractors engine. That will take about 2 hours or so. Then I will remove and sharpen the blades and put them back on. Another hour or so. Remove and clean plugs. Clean and or replace air filters.
After about 3-4 hours in the garage I will come back inside and clean hands, shower and change clothes. By then we will be getting along fine again as she will have forgotten what she got mad about.
So I really do not see why I would ever want some OPE that did not require some maintenance. It does me some good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back