Duralast AGM Batteries Get Thumbs Down from CR

"…...One Duralast Platinum AGM battery in the common group 48 size failed our tough life test at just five weeks; another bit the dust after six weeks. To be sure the failures were't anomalies, we tested a few more Duralast Platinum AGM group 48 batteries. One of those failed in three weeks and another lasted 7 weeks. Based on these results, we will not make the latest group 48 Duralast AGM batteries recommended models in our Ratings.

Four Duralast Platinum AGM group 65 batteries also failed before reaching 12 weeks. That's longer than the group 48 models but still disappointing…………"

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/...-test/index.htm

And those are made by Johnson Controls? Think what Exide AGMs would be like....

I just wonder what a "tough life test" is. Are they keeping in mind the charging requirements for an agm?

My Werker AGM is close to six years old and still working flawlessly.

Last edited:
So who has access to the article? What was the conclusion on the best brands? I'm thinking of getting a battery once Advance has that rare $50 off $100 code one of these days. Or I could get one from Pepboys which has Bosch. I'm leaning toward Advance Auto as it's slightly cheaper with the right code.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
So who has access to the article? What was the conclusion on the best brands? I'm thinking of getting a battery once Advance has that rare $50 off $100 code one of these days. Or I could get one from Pepboys which has Bosch. I'm leaning toward Advance Auto as it's slightly cheaper with the right code.

Advance has the $50 off $125 coupon most of the time, no need to wait for the $50 off $100.

I believe Bosch's AGM batteries are Exide (Mexide), and AAP's Platinum AGM is Enersys.

What group size?
Bosch ranks near the bottom in CR's test of batteries

As a battery guy, I know where AGMs have their place. That said, they arent everywhere in the automotive world. Id avoid unless there is a good case for it, like a trunk mounted battery or a location very prone to corrosion.

Quality must be all over the map on them-the OEM Panasonic AGM from my xB tested a little weak 3 years ago-so I replaced it with an AAP Gold lead acid-but it has never failed my brother in his '87 Tercel-and in February it'll be TEN years old!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
As a battery guy, I know where AGMs have their place. That said, they arent everywhere in the automotive world. Id avoid unless there is a good case for it, like a trunk mounted battery or a location very prone to corrosion.

The battery of my E430 is under rear passenger seat, currently I have AGM for that car.

I have two cars, one uses a 36R which is about $112 so not quite enough to trigger the $50 off $125, but $50 off $100 would do.

The other is the H8/49 AGM battery. About $139 at Advance with the $50 code and Pepboys had 30% off a couple times, which would have brought the price down to $140. The AGM battery that I have now looks brand new, the battery terminals are still shiny even though it's 7 years old. Voltage on that one is about 11.7, but that's at around 40 degrees or so, fully charged it's supposed to be around 12.6-12.7, but that's at 78 degrees.

Everstart Maxx or Bosch seems to be taking most of the top seats.

johnson controls was bought out, per this forum a while ago!! Chinese of course as theres few rules governing the toxic wastes produced + of course CHEEP labor!! most batteries big enough bought fresh + kept charged by enough driving or a charger will last a looong time IMO. i don't trust consumer reports looking at the bogus info on my sisters health publication she gets!! same for other stuff as well as quality control these days STINKS for most everything making most purchases a "crap shoot"

johnson controls was bought out, per this forum a while ago!! Chinese of course as theres few rules governing the toxic wastes produced + of course CHEEP labor!! most batteries big enough bought fresh + kept charged by enough driving or a charger will last a looong time IMO. i don't trust consumer reports looking at the bogus info on my sisters health publication she gets!! same for other stuff as well as quality control these days STINKS for most everything making most purchases a "crap shoot"
Funny that you bring up a post that's over 6 years old. Never ended up getting that H8 battery and the original one in there is now 13 years old. Prices are way up now. At least I didn't get that Bosch battery. Currently the H8 is $195 at PepBoys. Battery died on me on a cold day. Brought it back in and charged it up and so far it's still fine but I should probably get a new one soon.

Back