Holy Carp - do I have a 15/150k warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Partial zero-emission vehicles, including most hybrids and a few non-hybrid vehicles, warrant those parts for 15 years or 150,000 miles. States where this PZEV warranty is honored currently include California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont."
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magaz...s-bmw/index.htm

My new VW is a PZEV. I'm in CA.
If you look at what Honda has listed as warrantied parts:
http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/apl27540.pdf
https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL32586.pdf

(all I could quickly find)
It seems like you can walk into a dealership and say "hey my spark plugs need
changing, according to the maintenance schedule - hop to it - they're warrantied"

Applicable to VW: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186413
Someone got a new 02 sensor and throttle body.

It basically is an engine warranty to 15/150k, from what it sounds like. This is also what I gleaned by reading my CA warranty booklet that came with the Sportwagen. Only it doesn't list specific parts, but states basically anything that can cause emissions (so all fuel, air, ignition, turbo?, etc, related components)

I'd always heard that in CA emission states, your hybrid battery was 150k. Didn't realize it went beyond hybrids and batteries, though.

Interesting...

Wait, what?
"Air Cleaner Element*2" - *2 Covered up to the first required replacement only; see the
maintenance schedule in the Owner’s Manual.

Honda covers your first air filter according to this schedule.

Yes, emissions system stuff is mostly covered well beyond the bumper-to-bumper. Even in non-CA emissions states, it's like 8 year/80k.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Wait, what?
"Air Cleaner Element*2" - *2 Covered up to the first required replacement only; see the

I didn't know this. I changed my daughter' 2014 Accord air filters(engine and cabin) few weeks ago at my own dime.

I think my 2004 Honda S2000 is partial zero emmision.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Wait, what?

a lawyer could have a field day with the words "up to" and "only".

Well when they first came up with a power train warranty people thought it covered the engine. Then they found it only covered parts of the engine that are lubricated, so no ignition or fuel injection.

Your warranty may be similar.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Yes, emissions system stuff is mostly covered well beyond the bumper-to-bumper. Even in non-CA emissions states, it's like 8 year/80k.

Yeah, "emission stuff" was widely known. But spark plugs? Ignition coils? out to 150k miles! Etc. That's huge.

Also it seems as though the standard, first replacement is covered. So VW will replace my air filter and spark plugs for free at their first scheduled replacement. I might just ask for the plugs for free and DIY, as I imagine I will be the only customer requesting this and it could tick off the service advisor or a tech getting paid less for warranty work.

Found a Mini warranty booklet which said it would cover first replacement spark plugs and air filter, but had a whole paragraph excluding intake valve cleaning. I don't know if a judge would agree, but they state "it is not covered by warranty, because no defect in material or workmanship or component failure is involved". Guess design failure isn't included?

Surfstar, it's because they consider the carbon build-up to be part of normal wear and tear.

Remember, they only replace stuff under that warranty if it fails prematurely. It's not "free plugs whenever you feel like it".

They seem to keep it vague on purpose. With Ford we enter the VIN, mileage, and part base number into OASIS and it spits back which warranty the part in question is covered under or if it is covered at all.

Last edited:
I have the Dodge Lifetime warranty on my pick-up. The drive including the rear ends and transmission are under warranty until 2077. Thats what it comes back on the Dodge dealership computer. 0 deductible. Its a awesome warranty too. It covers head gaskets, water pumps, just about everything. Includes free towing and one day car rental. If they cant fix it in a day, they give you a car to use. No wonder Dodge dropped that warranty.

Yeah it is standard in California that emission stuff is warrantied for 15/150k for a lot of cars.

No, you won't get free spark plugs because that's wear item. However your cat con will be warrantied for that long.

The issue though is you don't get to choose when things get to be replaced under warranty.

Remember the guys who have oil consumption or whatever, they go in and dealer says that's normal and they have to jump through hoops to just get another "that's still normal".

So if you're the type of guy who can't run your OLM down to 0% without feeling really anxious from 30% and lower, then you're just going to be frustrated by this warranty.
They'll point to everything and say it's normal for it to do that.

Realize that when you will ever need to use this warranty, also will come with the hassle of a big breakdown so you're going to be [censored] anyway. At best, you get some weird part replaced under a recall when your car was working fine anyway

Last edited:
I re-read the regulation and warranty booklets that mention this.

It means that they cover parts like spark plugs UP TO the recommended replacement interval. So an air filter is "warrantied" for 15k, spark plugs for 100k (or whatever the OEM recommends). So those parts have to fail PRIOR to their first normal replacement to be under warranty.

Darn. Earlier I read it as, a 100k spark plug replacement is less than 150k miles, so its warrantied! (needed more coffee, I guess)

I'm totally fine with paying for my DIY maintenance items, and still quite happy to know that a major issue might be covered up to 150k miles, despite no manufacturer extended warranty.

Yep. If you look in the manual for your PZEV equipped Subaru, you'll be surprised at the stuff covered for 15yrs/150K miles, BUT you have to live in a "PZEV" State.

Fuel pump, EVAP system, catalytic converters, O2 sensors, E-throttle, etc.. etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back