No more Cruze, Impala, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez, are all American car manufacturers going this way? Ford already announced their plans to delete all current model cars except the Mustang by 2020...

.. although a contact at my local Ford dealership has informed me that Ford is probably going to backpedal on the Fusion and keep that as well.

What if I don't want an SUV?
crazy2.gif

Well if they all quit making them.. there will be a market for them again from someone.

I hate SUV's. GREAT full sized cars would be much better, except they don't build them, or forgot how. I miss my 1950 Buick Super, my 96 Impala SS, and many other big cars that simply needed modern engineering. GM was great at building full sized cars, but they suck at building what the market wants. They could make the big car market work again if they tried. They chased the market with cars like the Vega, Chevette, Aztek, and the endless list of many others

Last edited:
The conspiracy theorist in may says they all plan to come out with a small self-driving vehicle in a few years so they want to clear the decks and start from scratch is some of their plants. Someone is going to get a colossal order from Uber for millions of small self-driving cars.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
When gas prices go up $1.50 everyone will flock back to sedans instead of buying SUVs.

Yup, I said this when Sergio decided to double down on crossovers/trucks with FCA. Others seem to be following suit. While this works for now, gas IS going to go up. When? That's the variable. When it does happen though, people will be looking for higher FE vehicles like they did around '07-'10. Yes, crossovers have stepped up their game in the efficiency department but sedans if pushed for the same goal will do much better.

Goodbye sedans. It was nice knowing you.

Ford doesn't make sedans and now GM. I don't want a soccer mom cramped up tiny crappy CUV.

I'm tall. I want a car that works for tall people, that's comfortable, and doesn't ride like a horse carriage like a CRV.

I'm glad I've got my huge comfortable car before sedans are all gone.

Originally Posted by Traction
I hate SUV's. GREAT full sized cars would be much better, except they don't build them, or forgot how.

Go buy an Avalon.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
When gas prices go up $1.50 everyone will flock back to sedans instead of buying SUVs.

And GM and Ford will, once again, be engaged in a bunch of hand wringing and navel gazing about where their decision went wrong, despite them having gone down this wrong path at least once before.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by Traction
I hate SUV's. GREAT full sized cars would be much better, except they don't build them, or forgot how.

Go buy an Avalon.

Kia would probably be thrilled if you bought a Cadenza. I'm shocked they brought it back for round 2. The replacement for the departed Hyundai Azera is gorgeous, but we don't get it anymore.

If you don't want a truck, there's Tesla, and Toyota, and Honda... lots of cars still in production. And ford isn't going away from cars per se, they're stopping car bodies. They are making trucks and crossovers, and most of the crossovers are based on a car-like unibody. They share power trains with car platforms. They could turn on a sedan line quickly if they saw demand.

The Cadenza is a great car. I nearly bought one but ended up with the Passat.

Having just bought and traded in a sedan, the dealership told me sedans will soon no longer be the bargain they typically have been. A lot of people still drive cars, and want to, but the supply of sedans is going to get tighter in a few years and prices will go up.

They are still a deal now though. These new pocket sized SUV's crack me up. I can't believe people are paying so much for so little, and many have turned into nothing but funny shaped cars anyway, with a huge price tag increase.

Looking at the chart I get the impression the General is going to keep making the Malibu. That doesn't surprise me, those things are everywhere.

Tall, funny shaped cars that loosely resemble station wagons, is exactly what everyone is building, and they keep getting uglier. Bringing back a new Family Truckster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KCJeep
The Cadenza is a great car. I nearly bought one but ended up with the Passat.

Having just bought and traded in a sedan, the dealership told me sedans will soon no longer be the bargain they typically have been. A lot of people still drive cars, and want to, but the supply of sedans is going to get tighter in a few years and prices will go up.

They are still a deal now though. These new pocket sized SUV's crack me up. I can't believe people are paying so much for so little, and many have turned into nothing but funny shaped cars anyway, with a huge price tag increase.

Looking at the chart I get the impression the General is going to keep making the Malibu. That doesn't surprise me, those things are everywhere.

Cruzes are all over the place up here but they are axing them.

After my last GM committed suicide at 114k miles, who cares. Went Asian, not looking back.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Goodbye sedans. It was nice knowing you.

Ford doesn't make sedans and now GM. I don't want a soccer mom cramped up tiny crappy CUV.

I'm tall. I want a car that works for tall people, that's comfortable, and doesn't ride like a horse carriage like a CRV.

I'm glad I've got my huge comfortable car before sedans are all gone.

I just added up the 2017 sales figures for the Corolla, Civic, Impreza, Sentra, Mazda3, Elantra, Forte, and Jetta and the totals came in just below 1.5M and I'm sure that I missed some sedans in the small car segment. I don't think sedans are going to completely disappear; I just think that the "American" makes just need to rethink their strategy because the other makes seem to be doing just fine.

The automobile industry is coming full circle in a way. Henry Ford said you could have any color you want as long as it was black. Now you can have any sedan you want as long as it's not a sedan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back