No more Cruze, Impala, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Brigadier
After my last GM committed suicide at 114k miles, who cares. Went Asian, not looking back.

Same here. If GM wants to do stupid things
mad.gif
I'll continue to buy Nissans.
cool.gif

I think Ford made a mistake by not revealing an all-new product immediately after announcing all those cars being cut from the US market. It would have been a perfect time to reveal the new Bronco or baby-Bronco. It might have killed a bunch of that bad press and showed Ford has a definitive plan (but maybe they don't - often seems like it...)

Hopefully GM reveals something all-new this week at the LA Auto Show.

Last edited:
The others wont be far behind as they realize small cars, small margins. Accord sales down 15% ytd with new model.

these cars being canned are meh anyways, rental fodder. dont understand why they arent retooling the plants to offer more SUVs, serves GM right for wasting money on the Volt for political reasons, waste of capitol

Originally Posted by VNTS
The others wont be far behind as they realize small cars, small margins. Accord sales down 15% ytd with new model.

these cars being canned are meh anyways, rental fodder. dont understand why they arent retooling the plants to offer more SUVs, serves GM right for wasting money on the Volt for political reasons, waste of capitol

The economy is headed downhill, they see the writing on the wall. Car sales will tank and by the time the economy rebounds, we'll be riding around in a Waymo we pay a monthly subscription for.

Originally Posted by VNTS
dont understand why they arent retooling the plants to offer more SUVs, serves GM right for wasting money on the Volt for political reasons, waste of capitol

China and Mexico. That's got to be the reason. Wouldn't say the Volt was a waste, it's easily transferrable tech

They obviously haven't learned their lesson from 10 years ago when gas was $4.00-$4.50. You couldn't give an SUV away.

Gas prices WILL head back up again at some point and their business model will fail yet again.

So the manufacturers (not just GM) are supposed to keep making product that not enough people want and have to discount to sell until the price of gas goes back up someday? Instead of making what people want to buy? Makes sense.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
So the manufacturers (not just GM) are supposed to keep making product that not enough people want and have to discount to sell until the price of gas goes back up someday? Instead of making what people want to buy? Makes sense.

The GM haters will bash anything GM does.

Originally Posted by PimTac
GovMo should bite the bullet and eliminate Cadillac.

Pardon me while I grab my asbestos blanket.

Buick should go in the U.S. market.

Considering most folks can't afford the newer cars now (lease) and people still continue to spend 40k+ on a something to drive, it will be an irony to see all those folks taking an automated Uber or the bus in the next recession....

Sorry, I've stopped caring.......

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Once your autonomous car shows up with free
sick.gif
on the seat a person might not think it's so great.

Yeah, who's going to clean up all those bodily fluids? Besides the regular ones, there's also snot, vomit, drool, blood etc.

doubt the economy is going to tank, they just misread the market and played politics placating the prior administration, with the stupid Volt which never sold, even Marchionne said we produced the Dart because we had have a car that on paper met 40 mpg target, as part of the deal but he was smart enough to thumb his nose at them, read the market correctly, dropped Dart and 200, converted their plants to make more Jeeps.

this will backfire on GM in the sense they should be making more SUVs, the electric car non-sense is just another lame excuse she is using for cover, instead of being a leader and saying we screwed up but have a plan, she has no new CUVs/SUVs to put into the plants as product, typical GM

I lost interest in any sedan GM had to offer after they axed the Caprice in 1996. Ditto for Ford after 2011. If I was in the market for a new sedan, there's no longer one available with a full frame, longitudinal engine and rear wheel drive,I'd be forced to look at an SUV. Pass on the FWD crossover based cars with an identity crisis, I don't want forced a forced induction V6, so that leaves the Tahoe/Yukon as the only go-to option.

Gone is simplicity in favor of tons of electronics, soon they'll have your car make your darn coffee for you.

While I wasn't a fan of the FWD Impala, the 2014 redesign really did put the car back up there. Shame that got the ax too.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
They obviously haven't learned their lesson from 10 years ago when gas was $4.00-$4.50. You couldn't give an SUV away.

Gas prices WILL head back up again at some point and their business model will fail yet again.

I disagree. The difference now, as Ford management pointed out in their decision to cut many cars, is modern crossovers as quite nearly as fuel efficient as the cars. Often times better.

The Equinox with AWD and the biggest engine has a BETTER city and combined fuel economy rating than the V6 Impala.

Even the large FWD Traverse gets BETTER City and equal combined MPG than the V6 Impala.

The Buick Envision gets BETTER city and combined than the LaCrosse.

The FWD Equinox Diesel gets a better combined and highway rating than the gas Cruze hatchback.

The AWD XT5 gets the same City and combined rating as the AWD CT6. The upcoming, even larger XT6 will probably be even better.

Plus I didn't see any mention of cutting the two smallest cars, the Sonic and Spark.

Last edited:
SUV and CUV:
-Easier ingress and egress
-More commanding view of the road
-More storage space
-Easier to store items due to hatch design
-Comparable MPG to sedans
-More substantial feel
-Safer to drive through slightly flooded streets
-Offer more crash protection against sedans

Agree. To get it a bit more precise, according to Gas Buddy, the national average gasoline price for the USA first hit $3.00 at the end of 2010 and was between $3 and almost $4 until the end of 2014. It then did a dip and came up to where it is now. It can easily rise again.

Originally Posted by E365

I disagree. The difference now, as Ford management pointed out in their decision to cut many cars, is modern crossovers as quite nearly as fuel efficient as the cars. Often times better.

The Equinox with AWD and the biggest engine has a BETTER city and combined fuel economy rating than the V6 Impala.

Even the large FWD Traverse gets BETTER City and equal combined MPG than the V6 Impala.

The Buick Envision gets BETTER city and combined than the LaCrosse.

The FWD Equinox Diesel gets a better combined and highway rating than the gas Cruze hatchback.

The AWD XT5 gets the same City and combined rating as the AWD CT6. The upcoming, even larger XT6 will probably be even better.

Plus I didn't see any mention of cutting the two smallest cars, the Sonic and Spark.

The V6 Impala doesn't have start/stop and has a 6 speed trans, the GM SUVs you listed all have start/stop and some if not all have 8 speed trans.

Originally Posted by wemay
SUV and CUV:
-Easier ingress and egress
-More commanding view of the road
-More storage space
-Easier to store items due to hatch design
-Comparable MPG to sedans
-More substantial feel
-Safer to drive through slightly flooded streets
-Offer more crash protection against sedans

BETTER CAFE REGULATIONS..... A big reason GM is doing this.

I really HATE U.S. owned companies, they need to look at Asian companies and copy them.... then there is Fiat with 90% sales drop....
lol.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back