No love for Lucas oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Hi-Performance Motor Oil SAE 10W-40 looks good on paper(3 VOA's)
7th one down from top
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AHKKfKJ3E11RU1E&cid=FD59A041A3808BD5&id=FD59A041A3808BD5%211416&parId=FD59A041A3808BD5%21207&o=OneUp

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
The Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Hi-Performance Motor Oil SAE 10W-40 looks good on paper(3 VOA's)
7th one down from top
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AHKKfKJ3E11RU1E&cid=FD59A041A3808BD5&id=FD59A041A3808BD5%211416&parId=FD59A041A3808BD5%21207&o=OneUp

ROD

Unless your vehicle is equipped with a catalytic converter. In that case, that Lucas oil will poison the cat with the high levels of zddp and phos. That's purely a niche oil right there, for old cars that guys only get out of the garage or museum to drive it to the car show once in a while.

I used to run their motorcycle oil in my ATV, the full synthetic stuff. For the price it sheared out and broke down fast after a few rides. I was changing it almost monthly. I switched to Rotella T6 and it holds up much better and can usually last 3 months of hard riding before it needs to be changed. Rotella's cheaper and works better so I will continue to use it. I wouldn't put Lucas oil stabilizer in my worst enemy's lawn mower, though. That stuff is death in a bottle in my opinion!

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
Ive read lots of Lucas oil product "bashing" over the year from diff people

Maybe that's because they market a wildly overpriced Group I based lard product as an "oil stabilizer" that probably does anything but stabilize a modern GF-5 oil..

Quote:
...however I have a friend who uses it in his truck ,car and 4 wheeler and I never seen any problems in the 6+ years ive known him. and he said he has used it "for years now" Why the no love of lucas?

Uses what? Their Group III massively overpriced but competent motor oil probably sourced from a major manufacturer? or the lard additive "oil stabilizer"?

I asked my neighbor why he used Lucas oil yesterday. His wife's brother works for them in CA and get everything for free.
good answer.....after reading about the guy that started it and other comments I would not waste one dime on anything he makes or put the oil in a ten year old lawn mower. My Neighbor even says that the owner is suppose to be a real sob...

Originally Posted By: Linctex
14.9% LOSS??
Wow, it sure does like to evaporate/boil away....

No Moly at all.

Can't even be a dexos1 oil with that NOACK loss.
TBN at 7.6 was also the third worst in the PQIA's lineup of 5W30 synths back in 2013, only CAM2 and Lukoil were lower.
Now, that is old data and things might be different now...good luck finding a newer comprehensive VOA like the PQIA runs.
The Lucas website doesn't give much info of interest, but I did just notice that their 5W30 synth is API SM, not SN.

https://lucasoil.com/products/lucas-motor-oil/synthetic/lucas-synthetic-high-performance-motor-oil

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: rrounds
7th one down from top

ROD

Unless your vehicle is equipped with a catalytic converter. In that case, that Lucas oil will poison the cat with the high levels of zddp and phos. That's purely a niche oil right there, for old cars that guys only get out of the garage or museum to drive it to the car show once in a while.

I run high ZDDP in my '06 S2000 and have 135k miles on it and it still passes CA smog every two years just fine. If your engine doesn't use oil or much oil your cat will be fine. Now if you go through a qt. every 1500 miles then yes it will shorten the life of the cat. I also find it funny that motorcycles with cat's run M1 V-Twin with very high ZDDP(1700) and they run just fine with out any codes for a bad cat.

ROD

My answer to the Op's question - nope
frown.gif

From the PQIA VOA, it looks like "Look U Clown All Sodium"
Yes, they support motorsports. yes they have a football stadium in Indianapolis.
They got all that because there are 1440 minutes in a day, and there is a sucker born everyone of them.

My grampa still uses that Lucas crap, I guess what lucas proves is that you can turn your oil to dilluted crap and it'll still be fine, the important thing is that you've got enough oil in the sump and that it's changed regularly enough. I don't get why he uses Lucas with 5w20 maxlife, I suggested he step up to 5w30 or 10w30 and leave out the lucas but he's stuck in his ways.

My dad still uses it. I don’t. I have many customers and friends who use it too.

We have it at the shop I work in, customers request it regularly.
For several years when I was racing motocross, Lucas sponsored me, I ran their oils exclusively for 6 years, even under the stress of racing, they did well. Amsoil was the oil bikes were blowing up on at the track.
Wasn't more than a few years, and everyone stopped using amsoil. Yet here the hard on many of the guys get for amsoil, is actually comical to me. I genuinely enjoy reading the amsoil threads here, how some worship at the alter, to the false God Amsoil.

Last edited:
For several years when I was racing motocross, Lucas sponsored me, I ran their oils exclusively for 6 years, even under the stress of racing, they did well. Amsoil was the oil bikes were blowing up on at the track.
That’s cool they sponsored you. Yeah we have customers who request it sometimes too. Most are older and said they used it growing up so that’s what they want. We have one guy who only runs Lucas stuff like ATF and everything.

Wasn't more than a few years, and everyone stopped using amsoil. Yet here the hard on many of the guys get for amsoil, is actually comical to me. I genuinely enjoy reading the amsoil threads here, how some worship at the alter, to the false God Amsoil.

I mean, at least AMSOIL doesn't sell a combo of bar oil tackifier and the cheapest heaviest group I garbage to come out of the distillation tower dosed with enough plastic to make Fisher Price jealous as "oil stabilizer" ;)

I'm not sure what oil formulation, if any, capabilities Lucas has, so I'd suspect they work with an additive company like Lubrizol, Infineum...etc on their engine oils. They may even buy them from somebody else like CP or Mobil.

I absolutely despise their business model, but that doesn't mean their non-snakeoil products are garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back