No love for Lucas oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible Lucas is living on a reputation of former glory?

It's conceivable, although strange, to me that Lucas has built such a strong presence in the automotive field by selling [censored] products.

I know Royal Purple used to be loved because of their Synerlec additive. But I guess that's only in their HPS oil now?

It's mentioned here that AMSOIL is good oil but their marketing is meh. I feel the same way. I don't want to sign up for a membership to get oil that won't significantly improve anything over what I can buy from Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc. Not knocking on AMSOIL, I'm sure it's top notch, just doesn't "Do it" for me.

Lucas has an entire line of oil products pretty much all people here talk about is the stabilizer product.

apparently in the last 5-7 years they have hired a group of tribologists and their line is supposed to be quite good.

My builder swears by their racing oil, but Im personally not a fan, but it would be nice to see some objective testing on their lineup.

UD

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
No love for them because they are mediocre and there are better, more readily available oils.

Do you know its mediocre from testing?

I ask because I havent really seen much if any testing on their oil products.

For sure its not easy to find on a shelf.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

Lucas has an entire line of oil products pretty much all people here talk about is the stabilizer product.

apparently in the last 5-7 years they have hired a group of tribologists and their line is supposed to be quite good.

My builder swears by their racing oil, but Im personally not a fan, but it would be nice to see some objective testing on their lineup.

UD

Their PCMO's look identical to many store brand oils, which would lead one to believe they were not developed by an in-house Tribologist, but rather purchased from Infinium or Lubrizol.

No love for them because they are mediocre and there are better, more readily available oils.

We know their PCMO's are mediocre because the PQIA has done VOA's of them.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

We know their PCMO's are mediocre because the PQIA has done VOA's of them.

I could only find 3 from years ago - the auto stuff was in spec and the diesel was slightly out in on the W rating. 15 V 10

Ive seen " big oil " companies do worse.

I have no love or beef with them, just interested in accurate summations.

UD

Full disclosure: 2013 voa

I'm sure your car will last just as long on this as any other store bought oil. Are there more impressive voa out there? Yes.

Ive seen " big oil " companies do worse.

I have no love or beef with them, just interested in accurate summations.

UD

Right, but for a company whose product you pay a premium for, to be on the limit for volatility at 15%, when other premium PCMO's are 1/2 that? It's that kind of stuff that paints their products as mediocre, yet you pay a premium for the name.

I'm uncertain it cost a premium amount- at least to me.

I get it offered at around Wal Mart pricing, but haven't elected to use it Instead sticking with PP and M1 products Ive used for decades.

UD

I'm uncertain it cost a premium amount- at least to me.

I get it offered at around Wal Mart pricing, but haven't elected to use it Instead sticking with PP and M1 products Ive used for decades.

UD

I'm basically saying you are getting Supertech conventional performance for Mobil 1 pricing
wink.gif

Outside of sources like BITOG, I'd be willing to bet that everything someone knows about engine oil is from marketing hype and anecdotal hearsay. Lucas oil, if it meets the required spec is nothing more than one more engine oil. Meeting the spec means that it's not one bit better. That would be too expensive and bad for business. It would accomplish nothing. Real world testing to document a difference does not happen. It's too expensive and difficult to control and attempts that have been made fall back into anecdotal hearsay, again.

The Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a different proposition. It's the oil industry equivalent of Internet click-bait or the drug industry's placebo effect. It will not cause immediate harm and at best may appear to have done something or other every now and then. This product confirms the above statement about, "marketing hype and anecdotal hearsay".

If there is a Lucas oil meets your requirements and you need a sticker for your bumper then use it.

Buy the Oil Stabilizer if you like but don't dare pour it in your engine unless your car is going to the auction block.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
At least he reinvests a lot of the profits in motorsports.

That he does, they are a large sponsor at many boat racing events.

As to the voa's. Here is where I read over and over again that cheap voa's can't paint the whole picture. The same thing people say when someone says Valvolne looks wimpy via voa,that simple voa can't detect all the ingredients in the formula.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
As to the voa's. Here is where I read over and over again that cheap voa's can't paint the whole picture. The same thing people say when someone says Valvolne looks wimpy via voa,that simple voa can't detect all the ingredients in the formula.

Right, but I'm primarily talking about what the PQIA presented, which includes cold temp performance and NOACK as well as providing a baseline for "normal". In that context, the product was far from spectacular.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Thats what I glean from this place.

When the VOA fits ones narrative its gospel, when it doesn't its isn't. Lots of oils are on the edge of this or that spec.

Another Bitog amusement is when a filter manufacturers or bypass manufacturer claimed better mileage from a clean engine they get pummeled, but pennzoil makes the same mileage improvement claim vs " a dirty engine" and no one says jack.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back