No drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Bolens 21" cut push mower towards the end of last year from Lowes. It has the 5HP Briggs motor on it. I used it 4-5 cuts last year, and wanted to change the break in oil before I cut my yard today (bets on an interesting hurricane season anyone? lol). I flipped the mower over and couldnt find a plug. On previous B&S motors in mower I had always had an oil plug the was removed with a 3/8 ratchet extension, this one has nothing. Any way to drain the oil from this engine?

Last edited:
If its anything like my Briggs powered Toro, or my Father's Kohler powered Toro, you will have to tip it over.

I find it is best to start it up and let it run for 10 minutes before you tip it over. All the wear metals settle to the bottom of the sump from there being no filter. They don't drain out unless suspended, running it first really helps.

Also, it took something like 4 oil changes on my Briggs before the oil started coming out looking "used" and not have a shade of silver or metal flakes in the oil.

Get an oil extractor or pour the oil out the filler pipe. Don't know why B&S decided to eliminate plug on their mower engines. Maybe too many guys forgot to put the drain plugs back in and the engines were destroyed. It certainly is an inconvenience.FWIW--Oldtommy

Thanks guys. I tried to drain it out the fill by turning it over, but nothing came out after about a minute. The oil if full too but the last time it ran was in October. I will try to run it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back