No change after all fluid change.

Over the last few days, i changed:
  • Rear diff fluid
  • Transfer case fluid
  • ATF (Transaxle)
  • Oil & Filter
All fluids were changed with nice and good synthetic fluid ... First time ever using a 0W-40 engine oil. I typically like narrow spread oils like 10W-30 but this one was Euro. whatever ...

The stupid car feels the same. I test drove it around the block and didn't feel anything. Asked my wife (her car) how is the car running? She said the same. Any smoother or quieter? She said no!

Fluids had about 50K miles on them.
Engine oil about 5500 on Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.
All fluids were black or very very dark brown.

since we didn't notice any improvements, next fluid change will be at 60K. lol maybe not due to the colors. iirc, spec says 100K.

I was expecting some smoothness. Maybe it shifts smoother but not really sure. Most likely in my head.

What vehicle was this on and how was the previous maintenance? Maybe you take such good care of it, you don't feel or experience any difference in performance.

This car is our dreaded DI and our only DI engine. Wife really liked it so we bought it. I don't do DI.

it's a 2014 Hyundai Tuscon 2.4L 4-Cyl. I have to say VERY happy with it sofar. Purchased new and it has about 102K mikes. I did the previous changes about 50K +/-

girlfriends 18 optima has the same great engine + uses NO oil unlike her dumped 6x,xxx mile 13 malibu 2.5!!

Over the last few days, i changed:
  • Rear diff fluid
  • Transfer case fluid
  • ATF (Transaxle)
  • Oil & Filter
All fluids were changed with nice and good synthetic fluid ... First time ever using a 0W-40 engine oil. I typically like narrow spread oils like 10W-30 but this one was Euro. whatever ...

The stupid car feels the same. I test drove it around the block and didn't feel anything. Asked my wife (her car) how is the car running? She said the same. Any smoother or quieter? She said no!

Fluids had about 50K miles on them.
Engine oil about 5500 on Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.
All fluids were black or very very dark brown.

since we didn't notice any improvements, next fluid change will be at 60K. lol maybe not due to the colors. iirc, spec says 100K.

I was expecting some smoothness. Maybe it shifts smoother but not really sure. Most likely in my head.
Did you add racing decals to the windows? That's the only way to gain 10-20 HP. YMMV

I paid $22 for 0W-40 Euro oil and was expecting the car to feel like an expensive Mercedes-Benz and not the cheap $35K benz.

Actually the only time my wife had made any comments regarding the car was long time ago when I first switched this car to Pennzoil Platinum. she said the car sounds quiet! I didn't even ask her and it was just a regular oil change. I don't think she even knew I worked on the car and later asked me the car sounds quiet ... what did you do?

@Zee09
I've been thinking about CRC intake valve cleaner but I've read some posts saying nothing (e.g. oil selection like low ash, ivd cleaners, catch can, Italian tuneup , etc.) works against a bad design! At least not a significant help against ivd.
anyway I'm still kind of researching ...

I paid $22 for 0W-40 Euro oil and was expecting the car to feel like an expensive Mercedes-Benz and not the cheap $35K benz.

Actually the only time my wife had made any comments regarding the car was long time ago when I first switched this car to Pennzoil Platinum. she said the car sounds quiet! I didn't even ask her and it was just a regular oil change. I don't think she even knew I worked on the car and later asked me the car sounds quiet ... what did you do?

@Zee09
I've been thinking about CRC intake valve cleaner but I've read some posts saying nothing (e.g. oil selection like low ash, ivd cleaners, catch can, Italian tuneup , etc.) works against a bad design! At least not a significant help against ivd.
anyway I'm still kind of researching ...
I use a 10 oz. bottle of TECHRON fuel cleaner in my gas tank every 3K miles.

Did you add racing decals to the windows? That's the only way to gain 10-20 HP. YMMV

I think I would have definitely felt the difference if I was still in high school. The problem is we get more logical as we get older. At least some do :)

I use a 10 oz. bottle of TECHRON fuel cleaner in my gas tank every 3K miles.

Yes. Thanks for reminding me. I've been doing that regularly. I buy boxes of those at Costco but I add a little (1/8? of the bottle) every time my wife gets a full tank of gas. I forget to do it many times but she only get 92 octane super unleaded mostly from Chevron. Maybe I should do a whole bottle instead of little at a time.

Replacing lubricants is not about improving the "feel" of the car, but rather, it is about preventing wear. Sure, there are some PM items that may make a noticeable difference. Fuel system cleaner is one of those.

But if regular maintenance is done like it should be, it is less likely that a difference will be noted. It is usually those that wait too long between PM work that will notice a difference.

If it's like the Sonatas, it has a lifetime warranty on the short block. I had a 2012 2.4 Sonata. I only used 5w/10w30 in it, burned about half a quart in any oci whether it was 3000 miles or 8000 miles. Served me well but I needed something bigger.

I like the idea of 0w40 in the 2.4, I just have so much Xw30 on hand due to past sales.

Back