AT/DIFF/Transfer Case Fluid Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
For new vehicles, I think it's a good idea to service all fluids early, one time, after the first few thousand miles. This will remove most of the wear-in particles and promote (not guarantee) a long and trouble-free service life. Then after the early change, follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Often the manufacturer will not recommend changing a fluid, ever... I have seen this no-service recommendation with some differentials and transmissions, and usually under "normal service" conditions. (My 1995 Corvette is a good example, .) Despite this recommendation from the manufacturer, it's still a good idea to change fluids periodically. I'd say *approximately* 50k for manual and automatic transmissions, about 75k for differentials, and about 100k for power steering and coolant.

Here's a page from the owner's manual of my Corvette which says, "Manual transmission fluid doesn't require change."
[Linked Image]

The differential section shows what kind of fluid to use and how to top it off, but there's literally nothing about changing the diff fluid. Maybe because *the differential has no drain plug* on this car. Ridiculous GM.

I changed the transfer case fluid on my 2017 3500HD Silverado at just a few miles shy of 16k. I'm glad to have the break in wear out of there. I haven't changed the differential fluids yet, but plan to fairly soon.

083295C6-1F17-456A-97CF-EE628E927CB2.jpeg

Breath of fresh air going from a Ford PTU back to a big GM transfer case … quick and easy to change on the Tahoe (17k) and Z71 (7k) … all 3 magnets loaded on both.
Reason I did the Z71 sooner was the gear oil in the SUV's front diff had visible metallic particles - figured the magnet had reached it's limit

A reason to wait at least until 15k-20k miles - the transmissions (Planetary Carriers especially) aren't fully broken in until 20k/30k. Changing the fluid early with the carriers still shedding some FE ends up in your new fluid.

Originally Posted by BlakeB
I changed the transfer case fluid on my 2017 3500HD Silverado at just a few miles shy of 16k. I'm glad to have the break in wear out of there. I haven't changed the differential fluids yet, but plan to fairly soon.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by BlakeB

Looks like Don King's hair back in the day
lol.gif

The vast majority of axle wear occurs in the first 10K miles or thereabouts. Despite longer and longer runs, the initial OC will typically always have more metal than later ones. Due to that and the fact that axle/transfer case oil is unfiltered is the reason I always do an early OC on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back