No change after all fluid change.

When's the last time you flushed brake fluid?
I do it every 3 years.

it is probably a good idea to change at some point since brake fluid can collect moisture, etc. but that's something I haven't been doing to any car because I'm afraid it gets too complex and time consuming with bleeding ...

I sometimes drain and fill the reservoir (every 10 years) but I don't know if it will impact the fluid down the lines or near the piston. I've read some posts that it will eventually (like in years) refresh or mix with the entire fluid even down the line but not sure.

When I work on the brakes and have to bleed some fresh fluid is added but other than nothing on regular basis.

What's your opinion about the reservoir drain & fill?

What's your opinion about the reservoir drain & fill?

The dirtiest looking brake fluid collects down in the calipers.
That's visually obvious when the fluid comes out during a flush.
So I don't see d&f of the reservoir doing much good.

I use speed bleeders; makes it a one man job.
Convenient to do at same time as tire rotation.
I'm careful to not pump the pedal to the floor.
Just put a small cardboard box under the pedal.

I'm afraid it gets too complex and time consuming
Seems like you're already doing the first part: putting fresh fluid in the reservoir.
You have experience opening the bleeders.
You're almost there. Just get some speed bleeders and a bit of clear hose.

Everyone knows you’ve gotta wash it to make it run better.

“Of all life's mysteries the greatest one I've seen
My short runs better when it's clean”

Over the last few days, i changed:
  • Rear diff fluid
  • Transfer case fluid
  • ATF (Transaxle)
  • Oil & Filter
All fluids were changed with nice and good synthetic fluid ... First time ever using a 0W-40 engine oil. I typically like narrow spread oils like 10W-30 but this one was Euro. whatever ...

The stupid car feels the same. I test drove it around the block and didn't feel anything. Asked my wife (her car) how is the car running? She said the same. Any smoother or quieter? She said no!

Fluids had about 50K miles on them.
Engine oil about 5500 on Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.
All fluids were black or very very dark brown.

since we didn't notice any improvements, next fluid change will be at 60K. lol maybe not due to the colors. iirc, spec says 100K.

I was expecting some smoothness. Maybe it shifts smoother but not really sure. Most likely in my head.
Here you go. Add 1 pound of pressure to each tire and make sure the pressures are the same for each tire. Try M1 AFE in 0w30. Feel the difference. You can pay me later.

That's the whole purpose you are not supposed to feel anything from fluid change maintenance. Do it to keep the vehicle rolling many many miles. Most people don't do what you did and if you ask them they look at you blankly. So many vehicles make it lots and lots of miles with such poor maintenance it amazes me. Hopefully that will be why you're wife and or children will never be stranded on the side of the road, because you take the time to pay attention.

I just changed the CVT fluid/filters in my '16 Nissan a couple weeks ago at 30K miles. I don't feel anything different in the way it drives either but I'll do another drain/filters in another 30K. I figure a $75 fluid/filter change is much easier on the wallet than a transmission that costs a few thousand dollars. When I inquired with the local dealer they said they didn't change the filters, just drained the pan and replaced the fluid. The filters only cost me about $15 at Rock Auto so it's not going to break me to do them every 30K miles. I didn't ask what they charged for their service but since the transmission pan has a drain bolt in it I figure what ever they charge is like an overpriced oil change without the filter.

IMHO, don't use xW-40 in that engine, xW-30 works great thou.
You can use Moly additive like MOS2 to get engine run a bit smoother and cooler.
Valve deposit cleaning can be done via PCV intake, there is a YT video by AliMech on that.
Check and clean PCV and MAP too.

Two friends' Ford trans pan drop with filter change/refill (obviously) netted me sour faces as they felt nothing.
It took strength to explain the concept calmly.

Over the last few days, i changed:
  • Rear diff fluid
  • Transfer case fluid
  • ATF (Transaxle)
  • Oil & Filter
All fluids were changed with nice and good synthetic fluid ... First time ever using a 0W-40 engine oil. I typically like narrow spread oils like 10W-30 but this one was Euro. whatever ...

The stupid car feels the same. I test drove it around the block and didn't feel anything. Asked my wife (her car) how is the car running? She said the same. Any smoother or quieter? She said no!

Fluids had about 50K miles on them.
Engine oil about 5500 on Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.
All fluids were black or very very dark brown.

since we didn't notice any improvements, next fluid change will be at 60K. lol maybe not due to the colors. iirc, spec says 100K.

I was expecting some smoothness. Maybe it shifts smoother but not really sure. Most likely in my head.
UOA is the only way to know what condition (if any) your fluids are in.

fresh clean fluids ARE usually always GOOD IMO!! i changed ALL my drivetrain fluids using Redline real synthetics in my new to me then 10 year old 2011 Fronty SV 6 spd manual + gained about 3 mpg, it FELT the same BUT was surely better for it except my WALLET!!!

Back