No cell service at home...what options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kris- I had one of those cell extenders through Verizon Wireless. The type that connects to your modem/router via ethernet cable. It worked well with any cell phone from family, friends and neighbors who came over. I weaseled it out of VZW for free and I'm glad I did, because it only worked for about 2yrs.

I'm currently on VZW's month to month plan that is 3gig/month for about $45 all-in/month. I purposely bought my $250 Samsung Galaxy J7v, because it was the least expensive (new) cell I could find that had built in wifi calling at the time. I have used Google hangouts with other phones and maybe it was just me, but I found it too glitchy.

That is disappointing that Cricket has limited/no wifi calling capability? Ugh.. I was hoping to swap over to them with one of their family deals.

Quote:
My only option is to get a land line via Frontier

Can anyone comment on Frontier? It's like they are just sitting on 90's tech and not upgrading. We have a Frontier town nearby and there are people in the country that only can get 56k...... [censored]?

Meanwhile my tel-co fully installed fiber everywhere, (per FCC fiber to the home initiative), so WTH is Frontier doing?

Last edited:
Have you a usable signal within a mile of your home?

What's your current internet speed?

VoIP won't work on Dial up, and even low level DSL can be dicey

Satellite (Hughesnet or Excede) have latency issues that can make VoIP unusable too

Magicjack works great. Verizon now has prepaid plans which allow the use of WiFi calling. This service at least worked on my old iPhone, I now have an Android on MetroPCS which is the T-Mobile network and this also allows for WiFi calling.

No issues and works flawlessly

My internet speed is usually 10mbps.

Frontier or bust where i live. They have a monopoly.

I own my old Verizon extender. Had to pay for it when I got my old plan $200.

I have StraightTalk and a Straight Talk Iphone 6. Pd. $200 for the phone and my plan is $45/month.

My StraightTalk phone doesnt have an option for Wifi calling.. I guess thats a straighttalk phone thing.

I dont see any option to get this phone to have service unless there is an app?

To get my Extender to work- I need to get a Verizon Prepaid account and start over...or find a stooge that will put my device on their plan...so far that hasnt worked..they are scared it will cost them or mess things up...

im not sure T-mobile is even in my area..i dont know anyone that has it.

So frugally what is my best option? Get new cell phone that allows wifi calling? Then is there a free service or do i have to pay?

Or keep my $45/month cell and get a dedicated VOIP phone? if so which is the most frugal?

I say frugal because i really only need it to talk to my mom and in case of emergency.. i do always think about it when im working on my vehicles..

Currently to make a phone call- I have to drive 10 miles to get enough signal to make a call.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Would anyone like to have the Verion extender I mentioned ealer? If not I think I'm going to get rid of it. It' just in the way.

Same here Sierra! If someone wants to pay shipping, they can have mine too.

I boxed mine back up in it's original packaging and it's just sitting on a shelf. I forget what sequence of lights mine continued to flash, but it stopped working. From what I understand, VZW had so many problems with these that they stopped selling and supporting them. I acquired mine the same as you. Threatened to go with another carrier if they couldn't resolve our poor signal at our house, even though towers weren't far away.

Depending on what Internet service is available I've had no issue with a Obihai Obi200 device. MSRP is like $50 but can find various times at around $35. Needs wired Internet connection but can spend additional for USB wi-fi adapter they sell. Apparently a generic USB wi-fi adapter won't work but I've not tried. Combine with free Google voice number and I'm all set. Can even get gmail message when message left, etc. Good YouTube videos on setting up device also. This presumes decent Internet at location. Additional for e911 service (I think).

Wow...you're in a fix. I thought all iPhone 6 had the option for Wifi. Disabled by strt-tlk?

Realize that most antennas need to be aimed and need to be elevated depending upon terrain. Not all antennas are the same either (radio operator here). Not sure what sort of antennas these 'extenders' use either. This can all be solved but I can't do it via long-distance.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
....I thought all iPhone 6 had the option for Wifi. Disabled by strt-tlk?

I thought so too, but when I bought a refurbed, unlocked iPhone 6s+ for my daughter and set it up with Straight Talk, indeed Wifi calling does not work. I don't get why the carrier would do this if the phone offers it, but for what ever reason, disabling it is a thing they do.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
The T-Mobile Personal Cell Spot uses broadband service to create a 3,000 square foot "cell" in your house. It is NOT WiFi calling. It is a 3G/4G/LTE signal. I don't know if any of the other wireless carriers offer this. It is free. I have one in my house due to poor and inconsistent signal.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24269

Yeah most of the others do, or at least used to. We had a Sprint one for several years until they got around to fixing the problem by us. It's typically called a femtocell.

Yes, that is the correct term for the device. Even the tech support people don't all know that is what it's called. I think mine must work beyond 3,000 sf. I sometimes see the "4G LTE" light blinking when I'm not on the phone. That means one of my neighbors is connected to it.

My daughter has a paygo plan on an Iphone SE through Tello (Sprint towers) so she tries as much as possible to conserve on her cellular minutes and texts and data. But since she is home a lot at 15 years old, this plan works for her because she can talk and text for free to other Iphone users via wifi data and Apple servers. We have android phones and since she has a google voice number (free number you just claim when you sign up), we can call and text her for free via this google voice number when she is home on wifi via the Google Hangouts app. Seems quite reliable for calls and texting, and completely free, but you do need decent broadband home internet with stable wifi. You also need a gmail account, then go to Google Voice, claim a number from them, and download Google Hangouts on your Iphone 6. Go to the Hangouts settings and then under your email address make sure to enable calls and texts to ring. I use this every day for our home phone on an older android phone as well and it is quite reliable. Have not seen the glitches others have mentioned. Free to start up and try. What have you got to lose? There are other paid options, but why not try a free option first?

For paid options, the best month to month with everything unlimited is voip.ms using any obiahai analog telephone adapter, along with a corded or cordless home telphone. Monthly is $6.21/mo for unlimited calling, about half of that for limited plans. Google Voice-based home phone is a free option as far as monthly costs, but you will need a used Obi200 analog telephone adapter from eBay or new one from Amazon for about $50. A bit more complex to set up the home phone voip for Google Voice vs just for Hangouts calls on your phone, but certainly not difficult.

The T-Mobile Personal Cell Spot uses broadband service to create a 3,000 square foot "cell" in your house. It is NOT WiFi calling. It is a 3G/4G/LTE signal. I don't know if any of the other wireless carriers offer this. It is free. I have one in my house due to poor and inconsistent signal.

Yeah most of the others do, or at least used to. We had a Sprint one for several years until they got around to fixing the problem by us. It's typically called a femtocell.

Yes, that is the correct term for the device. Even the tech support people don't all know that is what it's called. I think mine must work beyond 3,000 sf. I sometimes see the "4G LTE" light blinking when I'm not on the phone. That means one of my neighbors is connected to it.

I did a search for T mobile in my area..there are no stores within 50 miles. I looked on their website at their phones. To buy an Iphone is nearly $700. Seems risky to buy a phone online and pray for service or that it works in my area.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

I did a search for T mobile in my area..there are no stores within 50 miles. I looked on their website at their phones. To buy an Iphone is nearly $700. Seems risky to buy a phone online and pray for service or that it works in my area.

We are different types of users, obviously. I have always purchased my own phones (budget models) outright. My current phone is a Moto G4 Play I purchased new in September 2016. I have no need to spend any more than $200 on a smartphone. T-Mobile is not an ideal choice for those who want to have the latest flagship models with regular replacement by the newest models.

Go on net10 or tracfone key in your zip.. they'll show you devices that'll work in your area and have inexpensive plans.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I have a TracFone as my personal phone, works great and low cost.

Can't beat it for the $$$, I needed more mins per month I went with net10 in the past.. tracfone owns net10 same service and phones but with the option for unlimited monthly plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back