NM Sues Dollar General Over SA Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this same sort of oil sold at local off-brand gas stations. API SA or no API rating at all. It is painful to see somebody buy this [censored] and put it in a late model car, and I even asked for the manager at one place and complained.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
I see this same sort of oil sold at local off-brand gas stations. API SA or no API rating at all. It is painful to see somebody buy this [censored] and put it in a late model car, and I even asked for the manager at one place and complained.

You just made Tom in NJ so proud!

I've thought about doing that too but my wife would never let me hear the end of it.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: rubberchicken

You just made Tom in NJ so proud!

I've thought about doing that too but my wife would never let me hear the end of it.

I once told a gas station manager (I don't remember which one it was, but it was some shady, not well known chain, in Springfield, IL) that they were selling engine oil that did not have the API certification, and that those oils can damage engines...

And what did he do? He kicked me out. Literally, told me to GTFO of his store. I was stunned.
confused2.gif

I hope Dollar General and the judge told NM to go jump off a cliff. Numbnut customers need to READ THE LABEL. READ people READ! There is absolutely no deceptive advertising whatsoever. Every grocery store here in town sells non detergent oil with that same exact disclaimer on the label.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

I once told a gas station manager (I don't remember which one it was, but it was some shady, not well known chain, in Springfield, IL) that they were selling engine oil that did not have the API certification, and that those oils can damage engines...

And what did he do? He kicked me out. Literally, told me to GTFO of his store. I was stunned.
confused2.gif

A few years ago, Illinois convicted several gas station owners of fraud. They were selling waste oil as new. He might have been one of them!

Last edited:
I once told a gas station manager ... that they were selling engine oil that did not have the API certification, and that those oils can damage engines...

confused2.gif

Did you also complain that the soda he sells makes people fat, the the food they sell raises their cholesterol levels, and so on too ?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I hope Dollar General and the judge told NM to go jump off a cliff. Numbnut customers need to READ THE LABEL. READ people READ! There is absolutely no deceptive advertising whatsoever. Every grocery store here in town sells non detergent oil with that same exact disclaimer on the label.

I couldn't agree more. We need to stop coddling people like this. If you can make sure you get the correct oil then you probably can't do much in life. A lady at the parts store asked me about oil and she was clueless. I tried to help her as best I could, but she oughta look in her owners manual and read. Its right there in her glove box. At least she asked and just didn't pick something off the shelf and hope for the best I guess.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

90 % of the public is clueless about oil. This oil is typically sold in off-brand gas stations, and people frequently buy on price alone. It is not suitable for anything other than filling your hydraulic jack or lubing your drill bits. You seem to be fully in favor of buyer beware. Can the same thing be said about health plans, doctors, mortgages, taxes and the law ? I feel a bit better when I know that somebody is looking out for the average consumer.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
I once told a gas station manager ... that they were selling engine oil that did not have the API certification, and that those oils can damage engines...

confused2.gif

Did you also complain that the soda he sells makes people fat, the the food they sell raises their cholesterol levels, and so on too ?

Fallacy alert!

You need to relax, my friend. There is a big difference in people making choices about food and drinks, versus oil that could potentially destroy their engines.

Besides, I wasn't rude about it, I was presenting it to him respectfully. I just wanted him to know that some of the oils in his store lacked the necessary certifications. A good manager would have looked into it and probably removed them from his shelves if he knew selling them could 1) harm people's cars, 2) give the station a bad rep, and 3) put him at risk for a lawsuit.

How would those who prefer "buyer beware" feel if there was no pump labeling requirements regarding fuel quality such as octane rating for your motor fuel at the pump? Or regulation of things like gasoline vapor pressure seasonality that the consumer doesn't even need a label for now (can you say vapor lock and excessive evaporative emissions - losses of fuel you paid for to the atmosphere)?

IF everyone who bought that stuff used it for what the labelling said was appropriate, they would sell so little it wouldn't be worth carrying.

Therefore, they are exploiting peoples laziness and stupidity to miss-sell a product, even though its honestly labelled.

Not nice, but not exactly a marketing novelty either.

I agree...now more than ever, consumers need to be aware of what their OEM says should go in that fill hole.

I've never such low spec oil here, anywhere. I think we must have some standard importers have to adhere to. It's not even suitable for our workshop Canter, the label on the engine says to use CB oils. So I put Akcela no1 into it...CI-4, E7.

This is the kind of issues that arise when the industry and the television media don't inform the public.What would be wrong with a 30 minute television program,sponsored by the oil industry informing the public about oil,coolant,transmission fluid,power steering fluid....etc? No,they would rather have some "reality" show or talking heads berating certain elected persons...I say informative,informational programming is the way to go.Show the people the error of their ways,and correct misconceptions.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Therefore, they are exploiting peoples laziness and stupidity to miss-sell a product, even though its honestly labelled.
Not nice, but not exactly a marketing novelty either.

Exactly.

What's REALLY wrong is it costs $3.75 sitting right next to PYB which is $4.25
The stupid sheople want to save $0.50....

But their profit margins on that stuff are HUGE!!!

Quote:
"The labeling on the oil contains “obvious and unambiguous language” regarding its intended and appropriate use, Ghassemi said."

That is their get out of jail free card.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
What would be wrong with a 30 minute television program,sponsored by the oil industry informing the public ....Show the people the error of their ways,and correct misconceptions.

It used to be that way... not any more.

People just flip the channel.

You'd have to make it a requirement to get their driver's license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back