Nitrile vs Silicone Study

I remember seeing a study where the minimum lifespan of Nitrile and Silicone ADBV was 200 and 650 hours of run tine if I recall correctly. Can anyone point me to it? I can't locate it.

I don't think you're going to find a "study". The characteristics of elastomers are well-known and documented, e.g.:

Elastomer Properties

Nitrile in most characteristics is the better choice dealing with hydrocarbons, including solvents and oils.

Silicone - in general - does a better job of staying flexible at temperature extremes.

Since there is a general impression that silicone is the "premium" choice, and since in the environment of most vehicle engines it stays flexible for approximately three times longer then nitrile, filter manufacturers tend to tout it if they use it.

"performs better longer"

When a nitrile anti-drainback valve hardens, it typically hardens in the exact shape of the surface it's sealing, so it still accomplishes its task.

When a nitrile anti-drainback valve hardens, it typically hardens in the exact shape of the surface it's sealing, so it still accomplishes its task.

I don't think so ... plenty here have reported cold engine start-up noises and come to find the ADBV was hard when they cut open the filter. I highly doubt a hard ADBV is going to function the same as one that's still soft and flexible.

And plenty of tears in the media of a disfavored brand of oil filter.

Anecdotal Evidence

“Where only one or a few anecdotes are presented, there is a larger chance that they may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases. Similarly, psychologists have found that due to cognitive bias people are more likely to remember notable or unusual examples rather than typical examples. Thus, even when accurate, anecdotal evidence is not necessarily representative of a typical experience. Accurate determination of whether an anecdote is typical requires statistical evidence.”

15974465979768374405780695791262.jpg
this filter was used after one year and 3k miles. ADBV Still flexible. Anyone got any that ran longer?

I'm thinking it was on one of the filter manufacturers sites but if so it appears it's been taken down through the years. I almost want to say it was Wix but they have never been a huge proponent of Silicone.

I know it’s near - heresy, but Wix has been on my “I’d rather not use em” list for decades. I know they’re generally well made and QC’d (and there’s actually one working just fine on my truck right now,) but they’re the one brand where I’ve repeatedly had drainback issues over the years. I was on a forum recently where a guy was ready to pull out a newly built engine (big block Mopar) and haul it back to his engine builder because every morning it had lifter rattle. Exactly what I’ve observed on my big Mopars with Wix filters. Without even getting into brands, I suggested he simply change oil filters because he might have a randomly bad ADBV, and he basically said “Unlikely, I’m using a WIX!!” I suggested he had a max of $15 to lose and a whole lot to save. Meanwhile the rest of the forum was suggesting everything from bent pushrods to incorrect rockers to collapsed lifters to a failing flat-tappet cam, to a thousand other expensive things. He tried a filter I recommended with a silicone ADBV, and it’s still quiet a month later.

I know it’s near - heresy, but Wix has been on my “I’d rather not use em” list for decades. I know they’re generally well made and QC’d (and there’s actually one working just fine on my truck right now,) but they’re the one brand where I’ve repeatedly had drainback issues over the years. I was on a forum recently where a guy was ready to pull out a newly built engine (big block Mopar) and haul it back to his engine builder because every morning it had lifter rattle. Exactly what I’ve observed on my big Mopars with Wix filters. Without even getting into brands, I suggested he simply change oil filters because he might have a randomly bad ADBV, and he basically said “Unlikely, I’m using a WIX!!” I suggested he had a max of $15 to lose and a whole lot to save. Meanwhile the rest of the forum was suggesting everything from bent pushrods to incorrect rockers to collapsed lifters to a failing flat-tappet cam, to a thousand other expensive things. He tried a filter I recommended with a silicone ADBV, and it’s still quiet a month later.

Oil Filter is always my first suspect when you have noise on startup. Seen a new filter or in some cases different brand stop it to many times.

It isn't necessarily a quality issue. Some filters just don't get along with some engines.

View attachment 27101this filter was used after one year and 3k miles. ADBV Still flexible. Anyone got any that ran longer?

most of my filters run longer in at least some respect. The two vintage 440s don’t rack up tons of miles, but typically go 18 months to 2 years on a filter. The new cars usually run 6000-9000 mile OCIs based on oil life monitors. Here is a pic from the Purolator Boss I posted yesterday, which was 1year/6800 miles on the SRT:

Attachments

• D9CA7FAC-AC67-42D6-B16A-A755D11528AF.jpeg
    D9CA7FAC-AC67-42D6-B16A-A755D11528AF.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 34
And here’s an RP from one of the 440s. About 2500 miles, a little over 2 years

Attachments

• 706D3AD4-6F3B-4D2F-AA2C-3B3F8C8FEB02.jpeg
    706D3AD4-6F3B-4D2F-AA2C-3B3F8C8FEB02.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 49
Back