Nitrile vs Neoprene R&P Bellows

About to replace mine, I've got 2 otherwise equal options...so figured I'd ask.

Probably not that important of a distinction...but which material do you guess lasts longer?

Nitrile provides better chemical resistance, but neoprene is better for the elements. Which one is actually responsible for the splits you generally see when the boots fail? My gut says neoprene, but I figured I would ask more learned minds on the subject.

I used to think Neoprene was the absolute best because that’s what I was taught so that’s what I went by but there is actually something better and I can’t remember the name unfortunately. I don’t believe I have any experience with nitrile boots on anything.

About to replace mine, I've got 2 otherwise equal options...so figured I'd ask.

Probably not that important of a distinction...but which material do you guess lasts longer?

Nitrile provides better chemical resistance, but neoprene is better for the elements. Which one is actually responsible for the splits you generally see when the boots fail? My gut says neoprene, but I figured I would ask more learned minds on the subject.
Neoprene is the worst followed by nitrile, the best and longest lasting ones are thermoplastic. What car is this for?

Trav is right. Thermoplastic elastomers are the best for this purpose. They can endure the flexing, are grease resistant and shrug off the elements. They were a major step up and away from the two rubber types you mentioned. Santoprene by Mansanto was one of the types of polymers used in this application.

Neoprene is the worst followed by nitrile, the best and longest lasting ones are thermoplastic. What car is this for?
I'm not spending a lot of money or looking for anything fancy...I have two options, neoprene and nitrile. Unless you can offer a better option for less than $15.

So you think, for R&P Bellows, nitrile is better?

It's for a 2002 Ford Ranger...the bellows stay relatively clean, aren't dealing with a lot of solvents, don't have to deal with pressure or much flexing/movement really, so I figured nitrile would degrade from exposure to the elements before neoprene would from chemical exposure. You think that's wrong?

Last edited:
The problem with boots in car/truck applications is oil and heat. If there are no leaks and its dry then the Neoprene will provide better low temp performance if you live in a cold area but less abrasion resistance. ozone exposure should not be an issue. I think its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Back