Nissan VQ38DD catch can install.

JTK

I recently installed a J&L catch can I bought off ebay on my 2022 Nissan Frontier. I got it for less than half the normal retail cost of one of these. The install took all of 5min with the included hardware and instructions. It's a simple, clean install and easy to undo should you need to. I don't expect any magic from this. It was more of a curiosity waste of money than anything, because of the clean and simple install on this particular vehicle. This is the new-ish direct injected 3.8L V6 nissan started using in the Frontier in 2020.

XL5Dq75l.jpg

S0EoNwwl.jpg

YadoUqtl.jpg

zBUYnkbl.jpg

I just did an oil change on this vehicle and checked the catch can since it's been in service about 1000 miles. I expected to see some oil, but I didn't expect to see it so moisture laden given this vehicle sees zero short trips. About an ounce worth of milkshake.

p4v00Sjl.jpg

DWzHP4Dl.jpg

B6XQnqJl.jpg

Looks well made. The big question however, is will it do anything to reduce intake deposits? I hope it does.

It is made well and this company seems to put some effort into the fitment per the application. For my 2022 Nissan Frontier, you remove a plastic push plug from the cowl and replace it with a 10mm hex head stainless steel bolt, washer and nut to hold the bracket in place for the catch can.

I don't have expectations of it reducing build up on the backs of the intake valves in any measurable way, even though it's keeping some oil out of the intake manifold. It's the aerosols that are doing the coking and there's no way a device of this size and design is stopping all of those.

If this same volume of liquid continues, the cup could potentially overflow in 5K miles so these are really intended for DIYers who like to tinker. J&L does sell an extended length cup for applications that can fit it. This is one of them.

This engine hasn't been around long enough to know if/when carbon buildup becomes an issue.

I just did an oil change on this vehicle and checked the catch can since it's been in service about 1000 miles. I expected to see some oil, but I didn't expect to see it so moisture laden given this vehicle sees zero short trips. About an ounce worth of milkshake.

p4v00Sjl.jpg

DWzHP4Dl.jpg

B6XQnqJl.jpg
That's a little scary looking. I've never seen it that light in color from any of my Fords.

Reactions: JTK
That's a little scary looking. I've never seen it that light in color from any of my Fords.
Right? I can't quite figure it out.

Like I say, this vehicle never sees less than a 10 mile use, but even that is rare. It's mostly my 80 mile round trip work commuter, which is almost entirely highway at 55-70mph.

No idling, no remote start. Ambient temps have been ~20-50F. We did have the 5ft of snow 2 weeks ago.

I just changed the oil. All looked normal. Filter pics in another thread..

Right? I can't quite figure it out.

Like I say, this vehicle never sees less than a 10 mile use, but even that is rare. It's mostly my 80 mile round trip work commuter, which is almost entirely highway at 55-70mph.

No idling, no remote start. Ambient temps have been ~20-50F. We did have the 5ft of snow 2 weeks ago.

I just changed the oil. All looked normal. Filter pics in another thread..

Well, be glad that's not hitting the backs of your intake valves. I swear by catch cans, and you can see why right there.

I run one to also keep oil vapors off the supercharger's heat exchangers. Hoping to preserve their efficiency.

Pull the line off at the intake and see how much oil is in the end of the line and you will have an idea on how effective that can is. If it is soaking wet with oil, then the can is probably not doing much. If it just has a light film then it's doing a better job.

I've had a catch can on my 2014 Mustang GT since it was new and the one I run only leaves a slight film in the connector end at the intake. During the first two years of ownership, I tested five different cans on my car and ran two of them in series to each other and then switched those two and then ran others doing the same thing. The inside designs make a difference in how effective the can is going to be.

As far as the milky color, that is probably because where you have the can mounted doesn't get super-hot and the condensation that is formed inside doesn't burn off.

It works so well on my DI Honda I put them into all my vehicles. All previously owned as quality units cost $$. Surprised and disappointed at what comes out.

I just did my second OCC empty at ~1500 miles. It had 1.5 - 2 ounces of liquid this time. I looks like about half of it is water. It smells very gassy.

Again, cold weather use. No idling. Very few short trips. This OCC has a 3oz cup.

WamZcgNl.jpg

Back