Nissan says 2000 mile oil changes

I figured something was up. Even auto makers know 3000 miles is minimum good enough.has been since forever .

This is what the engineers have ALWAYS said!
The extended OCI is what the marketing department wants, so they compromised
and this is what's written in the OM. Now there are situations where one could go
5,000 miles and others where one ought to change at 1,000 miles, but these are exceptions.

Reactions: JTK
I recognize the presenter as someone who has done spots on Toyotas.

He is a former Quality Control VP at Toyota, fairly high up the food chain.

There is plenty of knowledge on all this, and participation in summits at Toyota Headquarters.

Nissan engines still chew up oil lol.

Here is harsh Alaska, my cheap commuter Equinox, with a direct-injected 2.4L I4, begins to readily burn oil around 2500 miles usage. That's somewhere between 65% and 50% on the SUV's OLM.
I change before it reaches 50% anymore, depending on how fast I'm able to do the work myself. In severe conditions, I've got 165K miles on mine thus far. The oil-burner is still going strong.

My old port-injected Silverado can go much longer, though I usually change it around 4K miles. Glacial silt (rock dust) is a problem around here; best to change it on a severe schedule or better.

Last edited:
Here is harsh Alaska, my cheap commuter Equinox, with a direct-injected 2.4L I4, begins to readily burn oil around 2500 miles usage. That's somewhere between 65% and 50% on the SUV's OLM.
I change before it reaches 50% anymore, depending on how fast I'm able to do the work myself. In severe conditions, I've got 165K miles on mine thus far. The oil-burner is still going strong.

My old port-injected Silverado can go much longer, though I usually change it around 4K miles. Glacial silt (rock dust) is a problem around here; best to change it on a severe schedule or better.

You have a unique situation there. It’s not just the cold weather. Many might not realize how dusty parts of Alaska really is during parts of the year.

Back