Nissan CVT fluid properties and filter change

Hello all.

I just did a drain and fill in a 2015 Sentra that my cousin is going to buy from an individual. The procedure itself is somewhat wasteful seeing that at least a full quart fresh fluid is actually discarded in the process...but I digress. My real question is... Why is this fluid so thin and almost have the consistency of coolant or water itself as it pertains to protecting a CVT? Does anyone know?

Also, how often does the small cartridge filter on the side of the transmission need to be replaced? The car has around 65k on it. Should it be replaced also?

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you plan on keeping it long term, I would change the fluid and both filters every 30k max.
He's probably not going to keep it more than another 50k. He's got his sights set on a Sienna or an Odyssey in a few years after new car prices might return to somewhat "reasonable".

Hello all.

...but I digress. My real question is... Why is this fluid so thin and almost have the consistency of coolant or water itself as it pertains to protecting a CVT? Does anyone know?
The fluid has a viscosity of 7.5cSt@100C, and it is the same viscosity as the old GM DexronIII/Mercon fluids which protected Step-Shift transmissions for about 50 years.

Do ya feel lucky? Well do ya?
I don't believe in luck to be honest... that is wishful thinking at best. Best/easy thing to do is pay attention to any vehicle you use, keep fluids/preventive maintenance in check, drive it with respect as in not constantly dogging it and there's absolutely no reason why pretty much any vehicle made can't hold up as long as you might expect/hope. For many years now I haven't had any catastrophic failure with any vehicle owned. Typical wear/tear items have to be replaced, but no engine/trans, etc.

Best/easy thing to do is pay attention to any vehicle you use, keep fluids/preventive maintenance in check, drive it with respect as in not constantly dogging it and there's absolutely no reason why pretty much any vehicle made can't hold up as long as you might expect/hope. For many years now I haven't had any catastrophic failure with any vehicle owned. Typical wear/tear items have to be replaced, but no engine/trans, etc.
Are you familiar with and have you owned Nissan CVTs?

I own one, with another 2 in my family. All have over 130k miles on them, none with CVT issues. While it’s fair to say that the Nissan CVT has been anything but reliable, I don’t see how you can make the assessment that “many of these CVTs fail at 80-120K” with any degree of accuracy considering that there’s millions of these transmissions out there in all different types of applications under the Nissan brand.

OP was referring to the Sentra and I've had Versas. Both come with Jatco CVT. Maybe the other models come with more durable versions that don't have these issues.

I also err on the side of caution in my Versa by changing the fluid/both filters every 30K miles. I'm also a light footed driver and hope that adds to the longevity of the CVT.

OP was referring to the Sentra and I've had Versas. Both come with Jatco CVT. Maybe the other models come with more durable versions that don't have these issues.
All Nissan CVTs are JATCO CVTs. Nissan owns a majority stake in JATCO. Internally, there might be minor differences, but we’ve got Maximas and a 4 cylinder Altima. My point still stands.

Agree with spydermans logic, just did a single drain and fill on wife’s 2015 Altima cvt with Castrol transmax cvt fluid at 75K miles. (Did a 3X drain and fill at 50K with Castrol) and it runs fine. Not to say it won’t crap the bed later on but I’m doing what I can to prolong it’s life
Like he said, drive sensibly and you will be alright

Yep sure do... have for going on 9 yrs and just hit the 95K point... thing has been flawless since the 1st mile and I expect it to continue for quite some time. Of course Nissan has had a string of CVT issues in the past, every manufacturer has issues along the way. I just don't read much into any of it and don't dwell on the 'what ifs' in life.

My car is a Nismo Juke and to get AWD it had to be a CVT due to the torque vectoring. If you wanted 6 speed manual it was FWD only. The AWD definitely has an improved suspension/handling as well. No clue what is offered these days, but it was touted as being an X-Tronic CVT design, likely just a slightly modified version to handle a bit more power/torque. Have driven in all sorts of weather, road conditions, mountains, whatever and have never had the slightest issue with the CVT. It was odd getting used to the seamless acceleration at first, kind of like an electric go-kart, but I really like how well it sticks to a very usable power curve, whereas most autos are hunting for gears in certain driving conditions.

In the past when I would go to the dealership I'd ask them to check the fluid in it. Of course I got the 'well Nissan recommends it not be bothered with until at least 60K miles' blah blah blah. Checked the level myself as it has a dipstick... finally had it drained/refilled for the first time around the 75K point and it continues to be flawless. Now I have found a great deal on the exact fluid Nissan uses and I no longer have the extended warranty intact I will do it myself every 40-50K and see how it does. Had I read all the complaints I've seen here over the years before buying that car I might've had a 2nd thought, but it being the first CVT I've had in my possession I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing all over again. I plan to drive it indefinitely or until I can afford a GT-R Nismo anyway...

Last edited:
Yeah I re-read that and picked up on what you're getting at. Could be a lower grade of internal components, etc... I have no clue and just appreciate how good mine has been so far.

Only one case here... My Nissan Altima VQ went 365,000 miles plus before finally breaking down.... It was the CVT.

Not too shabby.

And I drove that car hard every single day I had it. Near redline every single day.

Only one case here... My Nissan Altima VQ went 365,000 miles plus before finally breaking down.... It was the CVT.

Not too shabby.

And I drove that car hard every single day I had it. Near redline every single day.
No doubt as I followed your posts on the car, fluid changes, etc. I personally think that mileage would be impressive for ANY car and clearly shows CVTs do have the guts to walk the walk AND talk the talk!

Bit off subject, but how do you like the Toyota thusfar?

Ahh man,,,

I need to change my signature on here.

I have a 06 Acura TL now...

Car runs really good. Though the transmission holds down power I think.... I'd much prefer my former CVT to this 5 speed automatic. I feel like my VQ with the CVT had more power at all speeds and it was better especially say 40 mph to 75 mph.

I need to do a transmission be drain and refill on the car here in a bit. 270,000 miles on the motor and transmission only has 70,000 miles on it. I have 3 qts of Acura DW fluid to put in it.

Are you sure you drained the fluid out the right drain plug . You should have gotten more than that how hot was the transmission. I would change the filter every 50,000 miles and the big filter every 100,000 miles. As for the fluid I don't know much about it but I do know this . Nissan has two kinds MAKE SURE you right one for your car and don't use a after market brand .If I remember right the transmission needs to be up to 140 or hotter when you drain it

Back