Nissan Altima VQ35 - Newbie with Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post here - I have been a reader of this forum for several months, and the amount of information (and the knowledge of the posters) is mind-boggling. Naturally, I have a question for everyone, and would appreciate your recommendations.

I recently purchased a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, and as most of you probably know, Nissan now states that only dino oil should be used. I don’t necessarily agree with this, but as long as it’s under warranty I intend to do what they say.

So, what is the general consensus on a good dino oil that is readily available in my area? I can easily get Havoline, Castrol, Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Pennzoil in the recommended 5W30, and I plan on an OCI of every 3500 - 4000 miles.

I have searched the UOAs several times, but don’t really know enough about the numbers to know what’s good or not (for comparison purposes), so any help would be appreciated.

The dealer already did the first oil change, and used Valvoline, but from what I’m reading on here I’m not so sure I want to continue using it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome. I'd suggest Havoline 5w/10w-30 for Dino, Mobil 1 Extended Performance for extended drains and German Castrol 0w-30.

welcome.gif
Havoline, Castrol and Pennzoil are all top performing dinos. I'd choose the one that is usually the least expensive.

Do a search of this entire forum using "VQ35" and "VQ35DE" and you'll lots of discussion as well as used oil analyses showing what seems to work best.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by TNTransplant:
and as most of you probably know, Nissan now states that only dino oil should be used.

Where does it say that in the manual or who told you that?

I've got a Nissan with the VQ35DE engine and I've also got both the US and UK versions of the (2004MY) owners manual. In the US version it says 'Nissan recommends mineral based oils.' Nowhere does it say only use mineral oils or do not use synthetic oils. In the UK version of the manual there is no comment at all about mineral or synthetic oil.

And, for the record. I'm running Castrol SLX Full Synthetic in my Nissan.

Im been running M1 in my 04 frontier for over 10k and it seems to do well.
Warranty should remain intact as long as you use a api certified oil i think.
I think i read on here that the only reason they reccomend mineral oils is so people dont go to far with extended drains but the engine is totally compatible with synthetic.

I've used M1 syn since my first oil change in my 02 V6 Alty. Wish I had broke it in more though just for piece of mind. Go with dino oil (Mobil Drive Clean?) 'til 30K then use M1 syn.
smile.gif

My VQ loves the Havoline I'm using right now. The Pennzoil I was using before seemed to make the engine noisier than I expected, especially toward the end of the OCI. The Havoline is noticeably quieter and also has a great price so this is what I recommend.

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone. I know that I read recently (somewhere, just not sure where) this whole discussion about dino vs synthetic, and how synthetic should not be used. So, I checked the manual (why didn't I do that in the first place?
pat.gif
). As Paranoil and Anthony have both said, Nissan recommends mineral based oils, and only states that they must meet API and viscosity ratings.

This looks like I can use the synthetic if I'd like, so my plan is to run dino Havoline for the next 3 OCI (just picked up a case of 5W30 at AutoZone for $16), and then perhaps switch to the Havoline synthetic if the UOAs on the dino Havoline look good. Or maybe Schaeffers...so many choices.
grin.gif

Ron - it looks like Nissan doesn't necessarily recommend against synthetic...it just states that mineral based oils are recommended. I plan on switching to some form of synthetic blend or full synthetic after I use up my new case of dino oil.
smile.gif

I broke my 04 Altima 2.5S in on Havoline 5w-30 dino with no oil consumption. At 13,000 miles I went to Mobil 1 5w-30 hoping to go to 7500 mile oci but about 2500 mile into oci I had to add 1/2 qt of M1 and at the 5000 mile mark it was about 1/2 qt low again so I changed the oil using M1 5w-30 again and again had consumption (no oil leak). At 23,000 miles I changed back to Havoline 5w-30 and 4000 mile into 5000 oci no consumption. I will do one more 5000 mile oci with the Havoline and then I will try the GC that I picked up at Autozone's clearance. I don't think you can go wrong with the Havoline though.

quote:

Originally posted by Paranoil:

quote:

Originally posted by TNTransplant:
and as most of you probably know, Nissan now states that only dino oil should be used.

Where does it say that in the manual or who told you that?

I've got a Nissan with the VQ35DE engine and I've also got both the US and UK versions of the (2004MY) owners manual. In the US version it says 'Nissan recommends mineral based oils.' Nowhere does it say only use mineral oils or do not use synthetic oils. In the UK version of the manual there is no comment at all about mineral or synthetic oil.

And, for the record. I'm running Castrol SLX Full Synthetic in my Nissan.

I like your choice.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
fruit.gif

I've got an 2005 Altima with the 2.5L engine on the way. Does Nissan recommend against synthetic in this engine also?

Gotta love when a recommendation for something is made, and then it turns into a warning against something superior
rolleyes.gif

I'd use a synthetic if I were planning to keep the car forever or if I was a little negligent with the oil change interval.

Otherwise, <3750 mile OCI with a mineral oil is good enough!

Why would a superior product cause consumption in a new vehicle? When I start using the GC, I'll find out which of the two superior products is superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back