Nice and quiet tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luck of the draw,CB. Of my 4 GACT Tourings,3 balanced with no weight,1 balanced with 1 tiny weight.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Luck of the draw,CB. Of my 4 GACT Tourings,3 balanced with no weight,1 balanced with 1 tiny weight.

I'll give'em that. My ACT's balance with few wgts. As few as any tires that I have had, I just have to have them balanced often and there is always some radial pull too. If I switch the tires, the car pulls the other way. I rotate every 5K or so. This is all G/Y's IMHO. And I'm not saying that I haven't had these issues with other tire brands(mostly private label brands), G/Y is the only "large brand name tire" that I have this many issues with. And it shouldn't be this way with a company as large as G/Y.

And although I have heard of others(any brand tires) balancing with no wgts, I have never had the pleasure. Me and G/Y tires don't get along.

Products are a funny thing. Many people could have excellent sussess with a product and I may never have good luck with the same product and visa-versa. It's like this with me and SEARS/Kenmore/Craftsman products. Everything that I buy at Sears break on me and soon. Electronics, appliances, tools, yard equipment. And I know many folks that only buy from Sears with great succuss. I don't buy there any longer because of this. And I search the net for...who makes what products and I try to buy the products that do better...Luck of the draw!

Although today, I'd buy a domestic vehicle in a minute(when I'm ready for another). But, in the past, as many of the family/friends in my circle that have had good success with domestic vehicles, I have only had 1 that didn't give me problems. All the rest were poor(8 or 9). I can't beleive the great success they had with our domestic and the poor success that I had. No lie. It ain't just me!

My wife would complain as I did too, that this function or that function didn't work or the engine didn't start and this broke or that broke. It was always something! Then I bought Hondas/Toyotas for the last 20 + years and all my issues went away, and I bought fewer of them cause they lasted so much longer for me. Now, I beleive strongly that it's turning around! And too, I have known people that had problem with Honda/Toyota and would never buy them again but, mine/our succuss has been better. And I typicaly keep my vehicles into their teens w/many 100K's of miles which is hard to do in NYS due to all of the winter salt.

In the end, I always tell people to buy what works for you. If you have never had issues with domestic vehicles, please keep buying them(we do make some nice stuff). Same with tires. If you like the tires that came on your vehicle, buy 'em again for goodness sake. Try something else if it pleases you but, don't stray too far.

I work with a guy whose pickup (not saying which brand) has been in the shop for head gasket work, transmission work, and cooling system work in the last two years. Furthermore, the IP has pretty much ceased to function. Yet, if you asked him, he'd tell you that the truck 'runs great' or something to that effect. We see the defects we want to see - don't take people's word for it that 'Brand X is junk and I'll only ever buy Brand Y'.

Well, I have had engines/trannys that ran fine and everything else around the drivetrain had to be replaced twice. When everything was fixed, the car ran great and was a pleasure to drive but, cost me lots of downtime and money. I have replaced lots of items on vehicles while the drivetrain gave me the least if any problems at all.

Chryslers(4)gave me the most problems...One after another, after another, after another! I really like Chryslers, always have! But, we don't get along either. I like their comfort, driving position and solid road feel.

GM's weren't too bad for repairs but I didn't fit in them well. I thought they were uncomfortable, even the Buick's/Old's...Seat are too flat and unsupportive for my structure. Even today in their new designed vehicles, their seat comfort isn't anything to write home about. Many companies are this way. Chryslers are much, much better(seat design) and I like many of the imports too even though they're a smaller car. Im not that big of a guy!

I don't like a clostrophobic feeling interior. My buddy's new '11 Equonix(IMHO, the best in class) is roomy but, clostrophobic feeling and the dash is too high. CR mag rated the RAV 4 tops. Are they kidding? The Chevy Cruise is a nice quiet small car with good road isolation but the interior is clostrophobic feeling and cramped with too narrow or seats for my comfort level. The Cruise is a better car than the press is giving it credit for.

And I haven't just liked Honda's, I loved Honda's! But, have you seen the new Honda Civic. Are you kidding me Honda? Do you think that they can ask a little more money for this sorry excuse of a car.

This is something that I always liked about Toyota's. Even a Corolla! You kinda glide in and out of the car(s). I can't quite explain it! And I don't particularly like driving Toyota's as thay lack soul. But, I have never had a problem with one, they're just boaring. Some people like that!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
And I don't particularly like driving Toyota's as thay lack soul.

I see somebody's never driven a RAV4 V6.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
And I don't particularly like driving Toyota's as thay lack soul.

I see somebody's never driven a RAV4 V6.
lol.gif

OK, you got me there!
smile.gif
I have though driven many Toy/Lex V6's though and currently have an RX w/V6 and they're fine on the straights. It's the corners where they roll on their side. Not the RAV you say? Very good!

But, I had better stop ranting about my dislikes as this particular post is about quiet tires. I am really good at taking the subject out into left feild and then the whole conversation gets lost. I don't do this on purpose! My apologize to the OP for taking over this thread. I feel that it all my fault
frown.gif

Last edited:
I'm not saying the RAV4 is a sports car by any stretch, but the handling is very good for riding on 235/65R17 tires, and the stability control will let the rear step out a little to get you some power oversteer before reining in the fun (nobody tell Consumer Reports).

Anyway, back to the original topic, a review of Tire Rack's ratings and tests would point toward the Primacy MXV4 being at the top of the heap for quiet ride among tires that are available in Intimidator's stock size, with the Assurance ComforTred being right there in the mix.

I haven't heard too many good things about The Good Year Comfortreads. I did alot of research before buying the Michelin Destiny/Harmony. I was also most interested in a quiet comfortable ride. The Michelins exceeded my expectations. They are great in the rain and snow. It doesn't snow in Texas that often but when it does, it's worse than Ohio because Texas has no snow plows or salt trucks.

I'll give'em that. My ACT's balance with few wgts. As few as any tires that I have had, I just have to have them balanced often and there is always some radial pull too. If I switch the tires, the car pulls the other way. I rotate every 5K or so. This is all G/Y's IMHO. And I'm not saying that I haven't had these issues with other tire brands(mostly private label brands), G/Y is the only "large brand name tire" that I have this many issues with. And it shouldn't be this way with a company as large as G/Y.

And although I have heard of others(any brand tires) balancing with no wgts, I have never had the pleasure. Me and G/Y tires don't get along.

Products are a funny thing. Many people could have excellent sussess with a product and I may never have good luck with the same product and visa-versa. It's like this with me and SEARS/Kenmore/Craftsman products. Everything that I buy at Sears break on me and soon. Electronics, appliances, tools, yard equipment. And I know many folks that only buy from Sears with great succuss. I don't buy there any longer because of this. And I search the net for...who makes what products and I try to buy the products that do better...Luck of the draw!

Although today, I'd buy a domestic vehicle in a minute(when I'm ready for another). But, in the past, as many of the family/friends in my circle that have had good success with domestic vehicles, I have only had 1 that didn't give me problems. All the rest were poor(8 or 9). I can't beleive the great success they had with our domestic and the poor success that I had. No lie. It ain't just me!

My wife would complain as I did too, that this function or that function didn't work or the engine didn't start and this broke or that broke. It was always something! Then I bought Hondas/Toyotas for the last 20 + years and all my issues went away, and I bought fewer of them cause they lasted so much longer for me. Now, I beleive strongly that it's turning around! And too, I have known people that had problem with Honda/Toyota and would never buy them again but, mine/our succuss has been better. And I typicaly keep my vehicles into their teens w/many 100K's of miles which is hard to do in NYS due to all of the winter salt.

In the end, I always tell people to buy what works for you. If you have never had issues with domestic vehicles, please keep buying them(we do make some nice stuff). Same with tires. If you like the tires that came on your vehicle, buy 'em again for goodness sake. Try something else if it pleases you but, don't stray too far.

Sorry,re the balance issues. I just haven't had that. My car tracks straight with no bouncing and no further balancing. I expect(Hope) these tires last no more than 40,000 miles and 6 years,then I'll get my 50% prorate and roll 'Em again. I agree that each experience is unique,heck,if I had a Camry,I wouldn't even notice the additional noise or harshness of the Michelins vs. the CTS. Stay safe.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
I haven't heard too many good things about The Good Year Comfortreads. I did alot of research before buying the Michelin Destiny/Harmony. I was also most interested in a quiet comfortable ride. The Michelins exceeded my expectations. They are great in the rain and snow. It doesn't snow in Texas that often but when it does, it's worse than Ohio because Texas has no snow plows or salt trucks.
Well,Tire Rack rated the GYAC higher than the Destiny/Harmony in their testing. I'm glad they agreed with FZ1.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
Well,Tire Rack rated the GYAC higher than the Destiny/Harmony in their testing. I'm glad they agreed with FZ1.

You'll have to wait and see over time if they meet your expectations. I always liked G/Y's right out of the box but, over time they gave me too many issues. Flat spotting, broken belts, bubbles in the sidewall or something!

So far with our G/Y ACT's it's only balance issues which is acceptable if this is the only thing I have to contend with thorughout the lifecycle.

I have 4 G/Y Eagle LS's on my Altima in 17" for summer use only. Although not a high rated/scoring tire, I only use them in the summer. They were a good price when I bought them.
Thus far, I have these issues with the LS's:

1 tire that is waring way faster than the other 3(even w/proper rotations
1 tire I can't balance at all and I have swithced it over to another wheel(ruleing out the wheel factor)
1 tire that has radial pull...So, when I move the tire to the other side of the car, it pull the other way!
And 1 tire I can't answer for...Seems OK!

But all tires need constant balancing just about each summer. OK, they're only LS's but, they're still G/Y's, they were popular, G/Y made plenty of them, they're expensive if you price them(New LS-2). Maybe the LS 2's are better. For me, they're just something that looks nice for the summer in the 17". They have to be, I'm not returning them. I'll get something else next time.

The LS's are all waring evenly but quickly and these issues have been my 40 years(on & off) experience with G/Y tires.
Shame on them! Shame on me for continuing to give them another chance. I am giving other tire companies a chance and doing it for less money.

It would be more acceptable if these were private label tires, which I have had issues with also but, this is GOOD/YEAR, a large tire/rubber company. Not some shmuck tire company!

Good/Year should be neck and neck with Michelin. But, IMHO with their quality, they're only neck and neck with lesser expensive tires or private label tires! And, I know that there are plenty of happy customers out there otherwise G/Y wouldn't be such a high seller. But too, they are OE on many vehicles and they have their own tire stores.

Last edited:
Come,on,B-a--b-y. You got to learn how to roll,like FZ1. I get the GYAC at Discout Tire. They are the most quiet and comfortable tire I have driven. They have an 80,000 warranty,and,with my pothole strewn,city driving,I can wear them out in about 30,000. I then get a $288. warranty credit applied to the next,new,fresh set of GYAC and roll em,again!

Come,on,B-a--b-y. You got to learn how to roll,like FZ1. I get the GYAC at Discout Tire. They are the most quiet and comfortable tire I have driven. They have an 80,000 warranty,and,with my pothole strewn,city driving,I can wear them out in about 30,000. I then get a $288. warranty credit applied to the next,new,fresh set of GYAC and roll em,again!

That's funny!
smile.gif
I like the way you write
smile.gif
I mean it!

I did get them at DT...But, at DTD online out of AZ as I got the Eagle LS's there too with wheels. We don't have DT stores here in NY State, just the chain tires stores like G/Y, Firestone, Sears and some local tire stores that have many locations.

And I do like the G/Y ACT's especially for the vehilce that they're on. The ACT's are perfect for my wifes Lexus and thus far the best G/Y's we have ever had(3 years now). Really,they're on par with other good tires that I have owned in the past.

OK, maybe I'll try G/Y's again when I need tires
wink.gif

Lol.Thanks,CB. At least,you understand that my sarcasms are intended to be,harmless,fun. You're right,you have to match the characteristics of the tire to the car. Tires are part of the car's suspension and you can "adjust" the suspension,with your selection of tires. As I recall,you don't really have a chance to take advantage of prorations,because you don't have a local DT store. Bummer. Later.

Well, we can take advantage of the ProRating of tires. It's just that, in my experience and those whom I know, that the tire stores make it very difficult to work with them when trying to get them to pro rate your tires.
Often, people are past the number of years allowed under the pro ration of the tire. For example, the tire may only be pro rated down to 2/32 during the first 4 years of ownership and have less than 25% tread remaining(or something to this effect). After that 4 years, NOTHING! Or, I should say that not all tire dealers are willing to work with their customers which has lead me to "why I do what I do!"

The ACT's have a little better warranty:

Treadlife Warranty: 6 Years / 80,000 Miles
Uniformity Warranty: 6 Months / first 2/32" wear
Workmanship & Materials Warranty: 6 Years / Free replacement first year or 2/32" of wear, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth
Manufacturer's Road Hazard Warranty: None
Manufacturer Warranty Brochure: Download PDF
Manufacturer Special Warranty: 30 Day Test Drive(1), 2 Year Roadside
Additional Information: (1) exchange for a different Goodyear brand tire
Overall Tire Warranty Rating*:

That's funny!
smile.gif
I like the way you write
smile.gif
I mean it!

I did get them at DT...But, at DTD online out of AZ as I got the Eagle LS's there too with wheels. We don't have DT stores here in NY State, just the chain tires stores like G/Y, Firestone, Sears and some local tire stores that have many locations.

And I do like the G/Y ACT's especially for the vehilce that they're on. The ACT's are perfect for my wifes Lexus and thus far the best G/Y's we have ever had(3 years now). Really,they're on par with other good tires that I have owned in the past.

OK, maybe I'll try G/Y's again when I need tires
wink.gif

"I like the way you talk,too." (From the movie "Sling Blade")..Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back