Nice and quiet tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I know there are a couple threads on here about quiet tires. I have Toyos on my Monte right now that are cupped to [censored] and make a [censored] load of noise. I was interested in the GY comfortreds due to their white wall (which is bad [censored] IMHO) and the general consensus that they are a quiet tire. I flaked when they wanted to charge me over 600$ to have them installed. I cant even hear my engine over the tire whine (new hubs so its not them). The Mich. Harmonies seem to get good reviews. So I guess I am asking this from a different point specifically;
FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD LOUD TIRES AND SWITCHED TO SOMETHING QUIET, what did you guys buy? Also, where is a good place to get them/get them installed. Tirerack's shipping cut into my savings when I got a quote, so I would rather purchase them at the shop who is going to install them.

Yokohama touring s quietest tire ever ran, and wore very evenly, still quiet with 50000 miles on them......

Last edited:
allllrighttt WE have one taker! Thanks for the info, I will add it to my list of possibilities. Where is a good place to buy/have em installed?

I currently have Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on both of the vics, very pleased with the overall handling, ride, and especially the low noise level. Switched from Yokohama AVID which started off quiet but got noisier over time.
The Accord has very loud Michelin Pilots that are being replaced this week with Dunlop Direzza DZ series. I anticipate moderate noise level from them but I was not pleasantly surprised at the factory Michelin noise level.
Every Goodyear tire I've ever owned has been way too loud for my taste, they are never even on the list anymore.

I get competitive on-line pricing on the tires I want, then go to my local Discount Tire. After taking into account shipping, tax, etc they've always matched the best price I have, plus if any issues they've been good to work with.

I have conti DWS's also on my Mazda5. nice tires, great grip, pretty quiet.
how far into NJ are you intimidator? because Jack Williams is a chain of tires stores here in PA who have great prices and good to deal with.

The higher the performance, the higher the noise in my findings.
I've had some cheaper (Canadian Tire brand) tires installed and they are always quiet. They are not high speed rated, just all season tires and they are quiet. I've had really loud high performance Bridgestone Potenza's, loud Toyo FZ4's, and loud Fuzion HRi's.

All the lower performance tires I've had, have been quieter. (touring, all season, etc)

DWS is NOT a quiet tire by any stretch.

I'd go for one of the ComforTred tires. We run them on our company Honda Odysseys and they made a noticeable difference.

Conti DWS's are very quiet compared to the noisy things we had on our Fit before. They're not objectively quiet, but coming from a set of screamers they're silence itself.

General Altimax are whisper quiet. Not performance tires by any stretch, but very quiet touring tires. Size might not be available for you, so check at tirerack.com

Continental Pro Contact Eco Plus . Quiet , smoother ride , and better handling in poor weather .

I run both the Michelin Harmony and Michelin Primacy and both are very quiet. The Harmony is particular was a very good tire in all conditions including snow and was very quiet. Not a performance tire at all but for a family sedan or minivan they are great. The Primacy is a little harder riding and better handling with some loss of snow performance but is still quiet. The tires I have had that were noisy are Uniroyal Tiger Paws and Dunlops.

Exchanged new Conti DWS after 30 days for Michelin Primacy MXV4, for a 3.0L Accord, at DT. The former was the worst flat spotting/vibrating tire I've owned. The latter very smooth and quiet.

Since your last tires were cupped.... new tires is a temporary band-aid to the solution... you need to address the worn suspension components first.

....and I have Kumho ECSTA Platinum LX 235/40r18 95W-XL

Get the tires at a local tire shop like Discount Tire where you get free rotations,balancing,and a proper prorate,when the tires wear out. The Assurance Comfort Treds are the most quiet and comfortable of the the tires I have tried. Quietest 1. GYACT 2.Primacy 3. GYACT Touring. 4.Harmony. Hope this helps.

It does, and thank you, everyone for their help! I am very ignorant when it comes to purchasing vulcanized rubber!

To be honest with you guys, we have in our circle a wide variety of nice tires and none of them are loud compared to each other.
I can't even tell you guys which tire is the quietest as they are all very nice high rated tires that all seem quiet.

Good Year Comfort Treads
Kumho Solus KR-21
Pirelli P4
Cooper CS4
Hankook Optimo H727
General Altimax RT
Michelin Hydro Edge
Yokohama Avid TRZ

Quote:
Since your last tires were cupped.... new tires is a temporary band-aid to the solution... you need to address the worn suspension components first.
Agree.

I am very satisfied with the low noise level of my new Cooper CS4 tires. Very glad to get the Goodyear TripleTred tires off--rode like bricks. I'm not a Goodyear fan. If you do get Goodyears, watch as they're spun on the balancer and reject any that aren't round. It took seven TripleTreds to find four round ones when I bought.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
Agree.

I am very satisfied with the low noise level of my new Cooper CS4 tires. Very glad to get the Goodyear TripleTred tires off--rode like bricks. I'm not a Goodyear fan. If you do get Goodyears, watch as they're spun on the balancer and reject any that aren't round. It took seven TripleTreds to find four round ones when I bought.

I agree on the G/Y tires. My G/Y Assurance Comfort Treads(ACT's) need another balance. This is supposed to be one of their better tires. I'm done with Good/Year.

I have pruchaced on & off, G/Y tires since the 70's and am usually disapointed. I thought I'd give'em another try when they came out with the ACT's but, even these needed rebalancing right away after installation. I had to turn around and drive back to the installer and have them rebalanced...They did and everything was fine for awhile.

Now the ACT's need another balancing. 4th time in 4 years. It's not my car, the allignment is fine and the suspension part are tight, it's the tires. Unlike any other tire I have, G/Y's need balancing again. It's always been this way. They[G/Y] and private label tires are really the only tires that I have to use the "lifetime balancing"

I know! There are those folks that have wonderful success with G/Y tires. I'm not one of them! And too, I must say that the tires that I mentioned earlier have been doing well in our circle. I sure someone will have an issue as nothing is perfect but, overall we have all written off G/Y. And they're expensive IMHO!

The Kumho Solus KR-21's don't seem to be living up to their 80K mile rating(in some reviews) but, they're a good tire for the price right up to the time they need replacement. 40K-50K miles seem to be the norm on the KR-21's.

Price was the deciding factor in the purchace and when people drove on them for some time, they couldn't beleive what a nice tire they bought for the money. If the price continues to increase though, the KR-21's won't be the bargain they once were.

The P4's are also climbing in price(maybe all tires are as well).

The CS4's and TRZ continue to get mixed reviews(love'em or hate'em)

And the Optimo H727's reviews are almost too good to be true! We have several sets of 4 in our circle and all love'em. I hope Hankook doesn't do anything to change the formulation of the compound or any other factors about the tire except maybe introducing an "H" speed rating with the H727's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back