NHRA Southern Nationals Top Sportsman fatal crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a horrific crash a NHRA T/S driver lost their life today. Thoughts and prayers are with the families affected during this very difficult time.

The sport has come a long way safety wise even in the past 20 years but this is a tough reminder that it's not a sport without risk.

The Driver that passed away is Randy Alexander. My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

I didn't know Randy, but he was a competitor that no doubt knew the risks, as all of us do. Drivers, Crew, and spectators are all made aware of the risks just being on the premises during a National NHRA event. The vehicles are powerful, and sometimes despite the best efforts of everyone from the organizers, participants, the Tech guys, and the Safety Safari, tragedy can happen.

Rest in peace.

any crash is not good. but when we loose a racer that is the worst it can be. PRAYERS to the family.

Interesting thought here by Marco620. And very true. Dale Earnhardt said the very same thing. He said it would have been a bad deal if he had gotten killed driving to the barber shop. But if it happened while on the track he said it would not have been.

Driving fast cars is dangerous not matter what safely measures are in place. Nature of the circumstance. I do feel bad for his family and friends. Tough circumstance for them all.

We all have to go. Marines and soldiers die to protect us. Police and firemen run into danger. If you have to go I think dying doing something righteous is better than dying doing wrong.

Every safety feature and every safety procedure in motosports has somebody's given life to thank for. If this was preventable (not everything is) hopefully his life will have been given in order to save others in the future.

Still, nobody wants to be that guy. Condolences to his family.

Originally Posted By: billt460
What happened? Does anyone know?

I see some still photos on Youtube, but no actual video....

First round Eliminations are done, so I have a minute to reply. It's not clear what happened, I didn't see the incident as I was in our Pit at the time, but from talking to some of the Officials, what is known is that for some reason Randy's car veered sharply into the opposing lane after both cars had crossed the finish line, where he was T-boned by the other car driven by Bob Mandell. Bob Mandell is okay.

Whether a cause will be able to be determined, remains to be seen. I'm sure video of the crash is being heavily reviewed, and what's left of the car will be inspected. As happens with on-track fatal accidents, usually the respective State Police will investigate. But I've never had much faith in their findings, as they are familiar with modern road-legal passenger cars, and much lower speeds. Not purpose built Drag Cars which in this case were moving at around 200 mph at the time of impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back