NGK vs. Motorcraft vs. Something Else

I had a thread a few weeks ago about doing the plugs on my MKZ with the 3.5L Duratech.

Normally I follow the rule of "If it has a spark plug, it gets an NGK" and I've never been steered wrong with that.

With that said, I do plugs on modern stuff so rarely given how long they last that I don't necessarily keep up with what's "best" on precious metal plugs.

I've kind of always gone by the thought that a good quality correctly gapped precious metal plug(whether platinum, platinum-irridium, or some other alloy) is probably perfectly fine and that the fancy multi-electrode plugs were more gimmicky than practical(although I'm open to being wrong about that also).

Looking a bit, Rock Auto presents me with quite a list of options and with a small enough difference in price until you get to super exotic ones that I wouldn't lose any sleep over it(i.e. $3 vs $4 isn't going to kill me). I'm guessing the Motorcraft fine wire platinum is probably closest to OEM, and my inclination would be to go with the NGK standard platinum. Still, though, I'm wondering for you all, if this was your vehicle, what would you choose? There again, I'm not going to lose sleep over $3-5 a plug, and I'd buy anything on this list if I'd see a benefit from it since, after all, $8 each is still under $50 for the whole car.

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 2.13.01 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 2.13.11 PM.jpg

If it's a Ford I'd stick with Motorcraft. Well actually I always stick with OEM because why risk any difference whatsoever? But particularly with Fords I've found them extra sensitive to plug choice and in particular to that have a tendency to ping if anything is out of spec. That may just be my random meaningless anecdotal evidence though. 😁

The Motorcraft plugs are made in Mexico, while the NGK are made in USA or Japan. That would be enough to seal the deal to NGK for me. I've used NGK in plenty of Ford applications with no issue. The last plug change I did was on a 3.0 V6 Escape with the NGK Ruthenium plugs.

I lean MC for Ford but otherwise, NGK has been solid for many years in the applications I've used them in.

Motorcraft. Anything else is a "will fit" Ford engineers developed the engine and spark plug, NGK doesn't do exhaustive research on every plug it makes in every application unless its for an OE, In your fords case the NGK plug is close in heat range and performance but not exact as the motorcraft plug would be.

When I had my '99 F-150 with the 4.6 V8, I replaced the original MC double platinum plugs, with AC Delco double plats. They were as good as the OEM's. FWIW AC Delco currently has a rebate for their plugs. I believe they are $3.00 off each plug for iridium's. Which would make them around 3 bucks each.

Had a 1988 Crown Vic Police 5.0L HO and a 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0L and both got nothing but Motorcraft. Both purred at all times until sold also. As I use Champions for my Ram in signature and the Acura and Baja both get NGKs. Wifes VW still has the factory plugs.

NGK or Denso mostly for my vehicles. Only once a failure with NGK. Used Autolite in my Fords and one six cylinder Mercedes. No issues. Bosch in my VWs. Do they still make Champions anymore?

1636583235818.jpg

IF it was mine.. i would go with what came in it. Which is what i always do. My Ford calls for spark plug change at 100K but i bought it used.. so i changed them at 70K. Ran great before the plug change... installed motorcraft plugs and still runs great. Would it run better on NGK? i doubt it..probably no.

Plugs looked great at 70K.. i installed the same ones that came out of it.. so i suspect they will look great again in another 80K miles.. i sleep well with my choice.

I prefer NGK, regardless of the application. They've never let me down, and they're made here in the USA.

I don't care to follow the OEM brand. OEM parts are almost always outsourced and the source can change frequently with the lowest bidder. The plugs the car came with may have been made by Autolite, but 6-8 years and 100k miles later, that "OEM" plug could be made by Champion now or NGK or whoever. At least when I buy NGK plugs, I know I'm getting an NGK plug.

NGK Iridium…
LTR5IX11…

I usually go one heat range colder due to Ethanol in the fuel…
LTR6IX11

I just changed the plugs in my Fiesta a few months ago. I went with the expensive Motorcraft plugs. If you look at them with a magnifier there is the NGK PN stamped into them.

NGK Iridium…
LTR5IX11…

I usually go one heat range colder due to Ethanol in the fuel…
LTR6IX11

The IX series doesn't last as long as the Laser Iridium. For a transverse V6 where you have to pull the intake, you want the longest-lasting plugs you can get.

Back