New NGK HX Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
NGK 95839 FR5AHX Ruthenium HX

I knew NGK had Platinum plugs and I knew they had iridium plugs and double / laser platinum plugs and double / laser iridium plugs and now they have these Huthenium HX .
Does anyone know whats up with them ??? Benifits are they better then Laser Plats ???

NGK Ruthenium HX is designed for newer engines which demand high ignitability. Double Fine Electrode (DFE) design promotes spark energy concentration and ignites a wider range of air-fuel ratios, offering improved performance in rich or lean engine conditions.

0.4mm Ruthenium alloy Fine Wire center electrode and 0.8mm platinum Fine Wire ground electrode
Trivalent metal platinum provides superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties
Corrugated ribs prevent Flashover
Pure alumina silicate ceramic Insulator provides superior strength and better heat transfer
Copper Core aids in heat removal

Not sure about the " high Igniteabilty" stuff but I'll bet the plugs will last a minimum of 100,000 miles and possibly 150,000 miles, potentially longer than you own your car. I ran a set of Iridiums for 180,000 miles and they were still doing fine at 10 years when I changed them. The manufacturers want plugs that never have to be changed by the original owner.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Not sure about the " high Igniteabilty" stuff but I'll bet the plugs will last a minimum of 100,000 miles and possibly 150,000 miles, potentially longer than you own your car. I ran a set of Iridiums for 180,000 miles and they were still doing fine at 10 years when I changed them. The manufacturers want plugs that never have to be changed by the original owner.

True.... However the Factory plugs in this Honda are NGK Laser Platinums and they are recommended change at 60K miles..... and I had to do some serious induction cleaning via bottle of seafoam via vacucum hose and can of seafoam via the air filter strap... Even when all that smoke came out i still had to remove the intake can clean out the egr passage and make it like new and put a sleeve in there... Then I was able to get the CEL to go off and replaced both o2 sensors.. .. Now what sucks is before I did all that I just put in new NGK laser Plat plugs.. Actual OE plugs... I wonder if I harmed them plugs or caused wear on them.. and if so should i use the new NGK HX Plugs..

Last edited:
At worst you fouled the plugs a bit, modern High Energy systems will just burn that off after a while. If the engine is running OK, I wouldn't worry about it.

When the milage drops from a solid 33mpg on my 110K Honda, I'll get some new plugs.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tc1446
When the milage drops from a solid 33mpg on my 110K Honda, I'll get some new plugs.
smile.gif

This ain't the 1970s. A modern, computer-controlled engine will NOT experience degradation of mileage or performance as spark plugs wear. Instead of performance loss, worn spark plugs cause components like plug wires and coils to be overloaded and fail.

It appears to me anyway that they are getting the longevity of an 0.6mm or 0.8mm electrode with a 0.4mm using this material. The 0.4 is easier to fire and produces less stress on other components but generally had a shorter lifespan. I can see the benefit of these but longer lifespan than the other precious metal plugs is not one of them.
They should provide a slight performance improvement, easier starting and be able to fire easier in leaner environments.

Where's the economy when your auto manufacturer requires replacement of plugs at 40k(turbo) to comply with emissions warranty. Plugs are $30 apiece. (Lexus turbo)

Originally Posted by Dan55
Where's the economy when your auto manufacturer requires replacement of plugs at 40k(turbo) to comply with emissions warranty. Plugs are $30 apiece. (Lexus turbo)

Wow! Is that just the plugs or the plugs and installation at the dealer? The Motorcraft iridium replacement plugs for our 2.3 Ecoboost costed less than $5 each from Rock Auto. Thankfully it's an inline 4 and the plugs are easy to change myself
grin2.gif

Whimsey

They are also being extra cautious not risking a misfire under boost which could possibly damage the engine extensively. I am sure they are leaving themselves a little overhead in that number but I can understand it.

These are a MUST for any transverse V6 or any other engine where it is impossible to change the spark plugs!

NGK should roll them out first for the hard-to-change applications!

That's plugs from dealer w/discount, and until just recently hit aftermarket at $16 . They were easy to change, I wonder how many people out there will skip this one.

And people still cling to German parts are more expensive.

Granted these are NGK Laser Iridiums.

The VW/Audi NGK Laser Platinums costs half as much.

...no Ruthenium plugs offered by NGK.

Originally Posted by Starman2112
Originally Posted by tc1446
smile.gif

This ain't the 1970s. A modern, computer-controlled engine will NOT experience degradation of mileage or performance as spark plugs wear. Instead of performance loss, worn spark plugs cause components like plug wires and coils to be overloaded and fail.

I experienced a different view on some cars, the last is my wife's RAV4, when replacing factory Denso SK20R11 17 years old plugs with 142000km, with standard NGK BKR6E plugs, the mileage increased +10/15% (based on wife's fillups when working, remember she does start and stop door to door hilly driving).

Performance wise, throttle response at sub-3000rpm greatly improved. The rest is marginal compared to that range

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back