NGK Spark Plugs Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JRed
Autolite plugs belong in the trash. Even my weed eater deserves better.
I guess the Autolites I've been running for decades, passing California's strick emission tests every time and never had a problem from didn't really happen?

Autolites have served me well over the years and the price can't be beat when you factor in the rebate.

I think I have NGK double platinum in the LS400 for more than 70-80k miles now, just had the car smog check this afternoon and passing with no problem.

Autolite plugs are very good.
This is from decades of experience.

BTW, changing plugs at 20k is something from back in the 60s -70's.
Why in the world would anyone do this with a relatively new car?

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Regardless, the AAP guy told me "NGK plugs are for Japanese/Asian Imports ONLY not for my use"

What, a counter guy didn't know what he was talking about? I'm shocked!

[/sarcasm off]

I like NGK plugs. Well priced and made in Japan. That's good enough for me.

before your 4cyl ranger had coil packs, it had a wast spark system I believe, which mandates a minimum of double platnum because the spark fires tail to tip as well as tip to tail.
a copper or single plat plug will wear down super quickly..

OE is the motorcraft finewire double plat plug.
the autolite double plat should have been perfectly fine.
I believe MC's are made by autolite anyway.

Could the plug not be gapped right?

as for NGK vs. Denso.. I'm more for NGK and they fire well in everything. for european cars, we only recommend NGK. We simply fight with people if they want to run bosch. the quality just isn't there, and they tend to misfire and foul out quicker.
champions.. well.. I think they're still made specifically for chryslers, jeep and mitsubishi. in anything else they just don't work to well.

I almost laughed at the federal mogul rep a few years ago, he insisted that champion plugs were OE for 70% of all, and I mean ALL cars in the world. What a line of [censored]. So I stupidly said, BMW wouldn't be caught dead with a champion plug. that got me 30 minutes of lecture.. but I still won't sell them unless they're requested or have a jeep or chrysler.
and NGK.. works great in jeeps and chrysler too
wink.gif

Instead of NGK V-Power, try NGK Laser Platinum or NGK Laser Iridium.
BOTH of these plugs have platinum enhancement on the Ground tab as well as having the Platinum or Iridium electrode.
This will provide longer plug life and give more even wear if you have a wasted spark system.
These plugs are both rated for a 100K mile life.

Make SURE to get the exact plug that is listed for your vehicle so that you get the correct heat rating, thread length.....etc.

Originally Posted By: wiswind

Make SURE to get the exact plug that is listed for your vehicle so that you get the correct heat rating, thread length.....etc.

+1 you are spot on. Toyotas from the factory use both NGK Laser Iridium and Denso Iridium Long Life. Worth the money for 60-70k with great gas mileage, smooth idle and performance. Use platinum, copper, vpower or any other cheaper plug on a toyota and they will run horrible. would Assume they would be a good choice for others.

Originally Posted By: Chadwilliam1
Why are you changing your plugs so often?

v-power are not designed for long intervals. NGK says about 30k for these plugs

The VPowers match up with my vehicle specs, I already answered, the local FORD dealer at the time was doing a special finance a new Car/Truck get OC's for 4 years every 3000 miles, tire balance/rotation every 6000 miles, and tune ups every 20k miles, in that 4 years I went 82k miles, which = 4 tune ups, always went with a 20k tune up, sorry? gives me an excuse to work on my truck, why Im not switching to synthetic, gave it a thought, and id rather climb under my truck every 3000-5000 miles to change the oil every 3-4 months versus once-twice a year.

THE reason I DID change them so SOON this time is because my TRUCK lacked PEP since I changed them, The truck has always used PLATINUMS not DOUBLE PLATINUMS, so that could be it, regardless, I like these NGK plugs.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
The VPowers match up with my vehicle specs,
THE reason I DID change them so SOON this time is because my TRUCK lacked PEP since I changed them, The truck has always used PLATINUMS not DOUBLE PLATINUMS, so that could be it, regardless, I like these NGK plugs.

So, maybe you should NOT be bashing Autolite plugs so much, but rather yourself for listening to an Autozone counter guy who guided you to maybe use the wrong application plug.

This makes more sense now. Something didn't add up in your original posts. In my experience, seldom do you feel performance changes when using the correct recommended plug of nearly any brand (with a few exceptions).

What you are now saying is that your truck never speced double platinums and that it did not like them. It might not like double platimums in the NGK variety too.

Also, a lot of people don't realize how easy it is to damage platinum plugs attempting to gap them, compared to the standard (V power) plugs.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

+1 you are spot on. Toyotas from the factory use both NGK Laser Iridium and Denso Iridium Long Life. Worth the money for 60-70k with great gas mileage, smooth idle and performance. Use platinum, copper, vpower or any other cheaper plug on a toyota and they will run horrible. would Assume they would be a good choice for others.

I replaced my NGK Iridium in my Scion with the 2.4 Yota motor with Denso Platinum TT plugs and its been running like a champ with the same performance and mileage for over 40k miles.

Use platinum, copper, vpower or any other cheaper plug on a toyota and they will run horrible. would Assume they would be a good choice for others.

LOL! Wondering where the hexk you get that info from? personal(subjective) observations? drive by gossip?

IMHO cars that spec'ed for iridium can be swapped with platinum and vise-versa provided that you change your platinums out more frequently (platinum can go up to 60kmiles; iridium can go up to 100kmiles).

Differences between various different metals are mainly due to erosion resistance: from hardest(longest services life/slowest to erode out of spec(gap-widening)) to the softest are as follows:

Iridium --- Platinum --- Copper core.

BTW: in case you are not aware: copper core is not really meant the electrodes are also made of pure copper but nickel (nickel resists erosion far better than copper).

Q.

I have seen several manuals for motorcycle for instance that give an NGK and a Denso part number as factory spec plugs.

I say if it works for ya, put it in. I know I bought the Denso plugs for my Scion for 3 bucks a pop and the NGK iridium plugs were 8 bucks a pop. They are easy to change so what if I have to switch em out a year or two sooner. I will still be ahead money wise.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

I replaced my NGK Iridium in my Scion with the 2.4 Yota motor with Denso Platinum TT plugs and its been running like a champ with the same performance and mileage for over 40k miles.

Must have missed or ignored the factory sticker on the side of the engine head to use iridium spark plugs. There's a reason why that sticker is there. Its electrical, something you wont see or feel. good luck.

Must have missed or ignored the factory sticker on the side of the engine head to use iridium spark plugs. There's a reason why that sticker is there. Its electrical, something you wont see or feel. good luck.

I agree. Not smart to deviate from what the manufacture states. ESPECIALLY with spark plugs. If it states iridium, then thats what you should use in your vehicle... Just make sure when changing brands, that the new plug specs like the original manufactures plug.

This is the same company that said my Type IV ATF was a lifetime fluid and needed no replacement for 100k miles(right on the dipstick handle). All UOA's show Type IV is spent by 40k.

And there is no sticker on my car stating to use Iridium plugs. Its just what it had in it when I pulled the factory ones out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back